The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

I’ve been working so much I haven’t gotten to play with my new quantum much but first impression is that it’s an incredible knife. Had I gotten the quantum before the ne0n I would’ve gotten what all the fuss with shiros was about. I’ll get some pics at some point.

I’m finding myself missing having a Shiro in my collection. I’ve owned four different Shiro’s and all at the same time. The F95 were a little too large for my hands...the last one was sold to another member here, because he is a friend and it was his “grail.”

I believe the Neon and Hation were the same size scalewise. I’m still trying to find out if the handle is longer on the Neon NL than on a Hation. So perhaps if anyone has an original Neon and a Neon NL for a comparison photo...that would be greatly appreciated. :)

In addition to the pics ChazzyP ChazzyP posted, here are some pics from different angles of a Neon Ultra Lite and a NeOn Zero.
If you want more or different angles just shout :D

They're very similar in the hand.
The Zero ends a bit 'pointier' at its tail that makes it appear larger but the length difference of the handle is minimal.

XNiLcdu2d9pI0lTj1N82Qm7KiGeEi-4MEeFIkAF7AatLAVGvPapyXI-F_WG6YmF3A7c2i9W5swNQfSWZmTJzqUJMsbP-SQdxs-5_fQnKXb5Ezkz-cPWBjIrxLMkYe3F32VA9R5mE62M=w800

v2viRwu1phW5W75Tg7WvcDjadq4LRCIGEsyW9th_5dEuZTWHM37mxWgv_YTOSrd3cqaI-0ttg4MDaB4l_Su7ohiBYpbEGlNpwg5cJYwLwlIR6OHPR-NjMslgoY7dvibbTXxz3oznW3k=w800

x0HFcek73G8Dd-yCD1oiz15O8Td_gOkWhGCrXAj7yb_EMJzy4aXF9xPdPAFU0oTqMsdhDZl_L9OnB-LQMf2CqYVTDlkaREzeo8_bQjzUpO5HoqqLausESA9YCb0Ss2s7IrxedLMufwY=w800

QJkGXv7x7BJiTPmCvFvDMgTseT0RuqE3rEwYT40XLid2p2Qs4z-5HwV9NXc1v6t8Ki9Gr77d5tmuadfyRKic2tkNT1VpzJz_rjkC3gMQw25sKSUDE4P1gYzZGQc_kCYKfOv9wuUuLcM=w800

Last edited:
Probably the wrong place to say this, but I'm probably going to sell off both of my Shiros in favor of US-made knives. I dunno, just feeling patriotic or something. It is what it is, but...

...so many US made knives are really kinda ugly compared to the clean simplicity of the Shiro. Makes it tough to resolve myself to it, but I think I'm almost there.

Probably the wrong place to say this, but I'm probably going to sell off both of my Shiros in favor of US-made knives. I dunno, just feeling patriotic or something. It is what it is, but...

...so many US made knives are really kinda ugly compared to the clean simplicity of the Shiro. Makes it tough to resolve myself to it, but I think I'm almost there.

It is the wrong place but we'll give you dispensation this time...

...that said, there's nothing wrong with wanting to support U.S. made knives, provided they offer you what you seek.

I think the Shiros I've seen here on the forum look very sleek and attractive, but are a bit more refined than the more rough and ready style I tend to gravitate toward.

Now if I was wearing a suit, maybe. But in my normal attire in our environment, (surrounded by state and national forest), it's not what I'd be reaching for. Mileage will certainly vary, and I think they are great looking pieces.

Hey folks! It’s been a while since I’ve been in the Den...

I’m curious, does anyone have a new Neon NL and a Hation for size comparison?
I’m super interested in the Neon NL but had a CF Hation and it was too small for my hand.

Thanks in advance Denizens!!
I don’t have a Neon NL or Hation, but I may be able to give a size comparison. The Neon NL is based off the Zero, correct? While the Hation is based off the UL, correct? If so, the handles are the same size and just have a small piece at the end that covers the blade tip. Although, according to Recon 1, there is now a HatiOn Zero, that would be the same size as the NL.
The left is a Neon NL sized R20 and the right is the HatiOn sized NeOn Lite.

Attachments

• 9737253F-8F20-47E4-9048-5AB2FC249616.jpeg
    9737253F-8F20-47E4-9048-5AB2FC249616.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I don’t have a Neon NL or Hation, but I may be able to give a size comparison. The Neon NL is based off the Zero, correct? While the Hation is based off the UL, correct? If so, the handles are the same size and just have a small piece at the end that covers the blade tip. Although, according to Recon 1, there is now a HatiOn Zero, that would be the same size as the NL.

The Hation Zero and the Neon Zero are identical other than the CF side on the Hation. The CF has milling inspired by the Neon light. The Neon NL is a hair smaller since it doesn't have a back spacer allowing for a slightly longer blade. The blade tip has to be inside of the three bars going across the butt of the knife.

It is the wrong place but we'll give you dispensation this time...

...that said, there's nothing wrong with wanting to support U.S. made knives, provided they offer you what you seek.

I think the Shiros I've seen here on the forum look very sleek and attractive, but are a bit more refined than the more rough and ready style I tend to gravitate toward.

Now if I was wearing a suit, maybe. But in my normal attire in our environment, (surrounded by state and national forest), it's not what I'd be reaching for. Mileage will certainly vary, and I think they are great looking pieces.

I thought the same when I saw that post, so thanks for pointing it out as well as cutting him some slack.

You're right about Shiro's being refined, sleek, and attractive but they're also plenty sturdy enough to take on jobs not accomplished while wearing a suit. Of my several Bears, Hati, Tabargan, and especially my Turtle are regular work users on my carpentry/building jobs and the bright orange, homing beacon Hati is a regular woods knife when we're up north on our Vermont acreage. They're all stout enough for life's tougher tasks.

sfFeI6B.jpg

zO3uwxz.jpg

Lovely photos!
I almost bought a Shiro once. Went with a CRK and some sharpening stuff instead, but I will get one someday.

Has anyone made a bit to fit the 3-lobed proprietary hardware on some of the shiro's (thinking the Kami) without going for the full pen\tool itself?

I pulled the trigger on a Neon Lite. It is supposed to be delivered on Friday. I can’t wait. I have been obsessed with this knife and brand ever since the bug hit just a few days ago. I am fairly new to the knife game. Slippery slope... :)

Has anyone made a bit to fit the 3-lobed proprietary hardware on some of the shiro's (thinking the Kami) without going for the full pen\tool itself?
Hey, T, I don't have any Shiro's with anything but the usual PacMan screws, so I'm no help to you on this question, but I'll give a mention to @mikomonday , one of our most knowledgeable Denizens--especially when it comes to the higher end knives--so perhaps he'll see your query and maybe has some info to help steer you in the right direction.

Maybe contact Josh from Razor Edge, he has bits for the standard Shiro screws.

I only remember seeing them on Shirogorovs own website iirc.

Last edited:
Hey, T, I don't have any Shiro's with anything but the usual PacMan screws, so I'm no help to you on this question, but I'll give a mention to @mikomonday , one of our most knowledgeable Denizens--especially when it comes to the higher end knives--so perhaps he'll see your query and maybe has some info to help steer you in the right direction.

Maybe contact Josh from Razor Edge, he has bits for the standard Shiro screws.

I only remember seeing them on Shirogorovs own website iirc.

Thanks guys.

I'm somewhat handy, and not too timid when it comes to making something that will work. My prior Shiro's are all serviced with some (pre 1960, all silver, soft) nickels that were modified to fit. Il thinking of something out of a piece of brass bar stock. Doesn't look like any sort of commercial bit I could start with.

Back