The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Nice one, Oklahoma Outlaw Oklahoma Outlaw --congrats! That crazy Micarta is pretty cool looking without being overly ostentatious. What's the texture like in hand? I did later manage a pic of my Turtle with the clip off and the screw run all the way in as we'd discussed earlier. There's some clearance there, but not a lot--maybe a little closer than it looks as my camera angle seems a bit to the right. Do watch out for marring the screw if you need to break it free--a bit of electrical tape over the tip of a well-fitting common driver works nicely if you don't have a Shiro-specific tool.

NWATJCy.jpg

Nice one, Oklahoma Outlaw Oklahoma Outlaw --congrats! That crazy Micarta is pretty cool looking without being overly ostentatious. What's the texture like in hand? I did later manage a pic of my Turtle with the clip off and the screw run all the way in as we'd discussed earlier. There's some clearance there, but not a lot--maybe a little closer than it looks as my camera angle seems a bit to the right. Do watch out for marring the screw if you need to break it free--a bit of electrical tape over the tip of a well-fitting common driver works nicely if you don't have a Shiro-specific tool.

NWATJCy.jpg
Deleted.

Last edited:
So far I 😍 it. I found out quickly that you can’t put ANY pressure on the lock while trying to open it. And by ANY I mean ANY.

It literally drops shut, but at a reasonable speed. There’s no need to jiggle it shut.
Yeah I found the same with my Quantum. It took a little handling to thoroughly familiarize myself to it, but now it's all muscle memory. :)

Just got this in the mail yesterday. F95 Nudist in Vanax 37. Polished blade flats, MRBS, the legendary Shirogorov machining and F&F, plus a unique and super cool steel...it's literally the perfect knife in every possible way!

1n4lDMD.jpg
Sweet knife and a nice score indeed! :thumbsup: Certainly looks more than a little familiar too, as there's a lotta pics of mine going back through this thread and others at BF and as well as at USN.

ZVQzB7O.jpg

Interesting, that you refer to yours as a Nudist. A little searching just now led me to find one designated thusly at an unauthorized Russian dealer's site, but I always thought that a Shiro Nudist had no exterior milling whatsoever. Mine's always been an F95R to me as that's how it was represented when I acquired it from a member here in response to my WTB listing. It's got all the same features as yours, save for the polished flats, and includes all the hallmarks of the R series 95's--MRBS, interior milling, and thrust washers--along with 3.5 mm Vanax 37 blade stock. It might be considered a Slim, but my handles don't run tighter, it just has the thinner blade. Mine was sourced directly from Russia through Vladimir_K and came with a factory white 3 Bears card.

Anyway, congrats on that one and enjoy! I've certainly gotten plenty of pleasurable use from mine.

dXV4O9S.jpg

Sweet knife and a nice score indeed! :thumbsup: Certainly looks more than a little familiar too, as there's a lotta pics of mine going back through this thread and others at BF and as well as at USN.

ZVQzB7O.jpg

Interesting, that you refer to yours as a Nudist. A little searching just now led me to find one designated thusly at an unauthorized Russian dealer's site, but I always thought that a Shiro Nudist had no exterior milling whatsoever. Mine's always been an F95R to me as that's how it was represented when I acquired it from a member here in response to my WTB listing. It's got all the same features as yours, save for the polished flats, and includes all the hallmarks of the R series 95's--MRBS, interior milling, and thrust washers--along with 3.5 mm Vanax 37 blade stock. It might be considered a Slim, but my handles don't run tighter, it just has the thinner blade. Mine was sourced directly from Russia through Vladimir_K and came with a factory white 3 Bears card.

Anyway, congrats on that one and enjoy! I've certainly gotten plenty of pleasurable use from mine.

dXV4O9S.jpg
Interesting. I suppose mine must be a "slim" too, although the word doesn't appear on the little authenticity card. All it says is, "F95 Nudist", just like this old listing:

sfwe04.jpg

In fact my knife's serial number is only 2 integers removed from this one's. The COA and white customs? paper are indentical otherwise. It also has thinner 3.5mm blade stock. I'm guessing the mirror polish could have been an aftermarket mod?

I had been looking for an F3 variant for this very reason. The Vanax steel is what really pushed me to go for this F95 instead (and I'm glad I did!)

Interestingly, this F95 seems much less sensitive to lockbar pressure than my Quantum. Not sure why that is.
The F3 may be my favorite thus far. So much so that I may have another inbound:cool:

My Hati is lockbar-sensitive, more so than the quantum.

So far I 😍 it. I found out quickly that you can’t put ANY pressure on the lock while trying to open it. And by ANY I mean ANY.
Yeah I found the same with my Quantum. It took a little handling to thoroughly familiarize myself to it, but now it's all muscle memory. :)
The framelock models seem to be susceptible to this.

There's been a bit of discussion about that on these pages, most recently with Edgeoflife Edgeoflife noting it seemed to him that the newer models--R and NS--seemed to be more sensitive in this regard. I remarked then that the move to less-resistant MRBS pivots in serial knives enabled lighter detents as Shiro's flipping action depends on superior mechanical design rather than overcoming stiff detents. I've always considered the mark of a good flipper to be how lightly one can stroke back the tab and still get a sure and authoritative opening.

Knives with lighter detents are more susceptible to lock bar pressure from a misplaced digit than those with stiffer locks. A less stiff lock bar allows for that sweet drop-shut action. I make a point to keep my middle finger right on the tip of the clip when opening, and like Meat says, it's all muscle memory now.

Back