The Case Barlow is BACK

I'll end up getting a couple once they come out, hard to beat a reasonably priced quality Barlow, however I wish they would do away with the shields and rethink the bolster stamping. Probably wishful thinking on my part but really wish they would try to remake the XX knives from the 40's through the early 70's, they were such classy Barlows.

IMG_8408.jpg

Why does Case keep missing the boat???
They keep making "horses by committee", (camels:eek:)
They could rule the Barlow world, if they only had a designer who really understood the "essence of Barlow"!
Maybe I should be careful of what I wish for!!:rolleyes:
I agree, Case doesn't quite see what most of us want.:confused:
tenor.gif

I have been a longtime admirer of the old Red Bone Case Barlows.
(snip)
Regardless, I am thrilled that they bringing this pattern out of the vault and I really do hope they do some other cover options, namely some classic red bone, perhaps even some Appaloosa.

Yeah,really! I ain't that hard to please. Instead of all the garishly dyed handle materials, shields (Where the heck did they come from!), etc, just make me a nice two bladed Barlow, with saw cut bone covers that looks like a traditional Barlow. What's wrong with that? I don't want to buy a knife that looks like something that you used to win as a carnival prize back in the 50s.

Last edited:
I'll end up getting a couple once they come out, hard to beat a reasonably priced quality Barlow, however I wish they would do away with the shields and rethink the bolster stamping. Probably wishful thinking on my part but really wish they would try to remake the XX knives from the 40's through the early 70's, they were such classy Barlows.

View attachment 1044873
A couple of beautiful examples! -Lance

View attachment 1044873
Those are so nice!

View attachment 1044873
Yeah, THOSE I would buy.

I am starting to wonder where these Barlows are being made . The Pin Placements are strikingly similar to the ones pictured for Frost Cutlery Barlows and unlike the Case Barlows that I have seen and I have not seen any " Made In U.S.A. " stamping on the tangs in the pretty poor pictures . I will be very disappointed if the 2 that I have coming are made outside of the U.S.A. and not in fact made by CASE .
I would hope that a dealer would jump in here and confirm or deny this.

I would hope a dealer wouldn't have to deny this, but in case you are not jesting - "Case has not secretly decided to move traditional production to a contract offshore company; thus these Barlows are made in the U.S.A"

View attachment 1044873

I agree with you Augie Augie . I'd have thought that at least for the initial reintroduction of the Barlow that Case would have made a run of them with Saw Cut Red Bone with CASE XX stamped on the bolster or at the very least one with Saw Cut Red Delrin with the CASE XX stamp on the bolster.

Saw Cut Red Bone
b51BguH.jpg

Saw Cut Red Delrin
IfecWXN.jpg

Annnnd, just got a call from the vendor saying they oversold ...Case is closed till the new year, and the owner said they would try and get one for me...oh well, que Serra Serra.

If you don’t want to take the chance and wait, call the Case/Zippo museum store. I was just there today and they have a few of them in stock. If they can’t ship you one for some reason and they have them, I can swing over and pick one up for you. :thumbsup: (Be aware that they charge full MSRP there, I didn’t think I could keep the price in the pic, might be against the rules but feel free to ask me for it)

The bone covers aren’t this white, they light the display cases up very bright so it’s hard to take pics through the glass.

8yy68na.jpg

If you don’t want to take the chance and wait, call the Case/Zippo museum store. I was just there today and they have a few of them in stock. If they can’t ship you one for some reason and they have them, I can swing over and pick one up for you. :thumbsup: (Be aware that they charge full MSRP there, I didn’t think I could keep the price in the pic, might be against the rules but feel free to ask me for it)

The bone covers aren’t this white, they light the display cases up very bright so it’s hard to take pics through the glass.

8yy68na.jpg
Thanks for that, yeah I missed out on it with the route I chose...I'm going to chalk it up to fate and see what the response is on these from early adopters. The Pilot test run ones are the only ones that really caught my eye, but who knows, maybe there will be some really interesting options released down the road.

I hate to say it but I am more excited about this antique bone barlow than anything I see in the near future from GEC. I just really wish that Case would do the saw cut in the antique bone...hell any color other than that god-awful blue.

Nothing traditional about blue covers :confused::(:thumbsdown: maybe I'm too hung up on the old tested era and XX era barlows but if this run offered saw cut bone with no shield with a plain bolster or XX bolster I would buy one or three :thumbsup:

I would hope a dealer wouldn't have to deny this, but in case you are not jesting - "Case has not secretly decided to move traditional production to a contract offshore company; thus these Barlows are made in the U.S.A"
Thank you very much for your reply Mike . I was not jesting . I have seen too much outsourcing by Large Companies in my working life to think that it was not possible to happen . I know that it is just part of business but I am not a big fan if it . I just can not understand why Case would have changed their Pin Positions and the Made In U.S.A. was not visible in the pictures . I was happy to see your answer and I am anxiously waiting for you to get mine in as reserved .
Thank you again my friend .

Harry

Just back to the bolster again.

Many people have shown older CASE Barlows with the stamped CASE XX type bolster, this one looks the business, it suits the knife, simple and aesthetic and it is part of genuine CASE heritage and tradition so use it. ;)

The picture of that bolster on the White Bone version is not very thrilling...that script might even be etched/engravedo_O

If somebody with influence from CASE is reading our collective remarks, well just maybe they'll have a little re-think because within their grasp is the opportunity to make a very attractive reasonably priced Barlow that has the wonderful aura of their earlier versions. I've yet to hear anybody say they dislike the CASE XX stamped bolster Barlows of former times. Is stamping the bolster (they surely have old dies?) really that much more expensive or time consuming than say cutting out a shield place, using different shields and gluing them in??

1zg8adl.jpg
[/IMG] First time trying to post a photo, so here goes.

I am relatively new to the Barlow. My first one was the case 2007 Red Barnboard 154 cm. It was a mistake as I had ordered the mini trapper version instead, but the vendor had the same number mistakenly listed for both. They sent the Barlow and the rest is history. This is a great version of the Case Barlow, and it has led to more than I care to list. These are some of my favorites.

Last edited:
Back