The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

I'd like to talk to some of you about mid to high end folders. Looking to pick up one or two. Looking for ideas. I value the opinions of a lot of you and I didn't want to start a new thread on Andys forum. Would it be okay to discuss this here? If anyone has any to unload, please PM me. I will remove this post if it is deemed an unacceptable topic.
E

E$, not sure what you'd consider mid to high, but I'm a Spyderco guy when it comes to folders. You'll find everything from the cheap to the exotic steels in any number of styles and sizes. I'm partial to their Carbon Fiber scaled knives. Sage1 is my favorite.

Throw out some ideas on what you're looking for. Size, use, etc.

Thanks for the reply Nathan. I'm considering mid to high ( really more around $500-$700, some folders are thousands) because of their craftsmanship and artistic appeal. The very same reason I am drawn to FBF and some other makers of fine fixed blade knives. My problem is that in my line of work and my urban surroundings, it's hard, if not impossible to carry a fixed blade around daily. Finding that special folder that could ride in my pocket daily to remind me of beauty, function, and strength would lift my spirits every time I put it in or pulled it out of my pocket.
I like Spyderco knives, have owned a few, but was looking for something a little more unique. I really like the CRK Sebenza, the appearance of the Strider (though I handled one at Blade and it is a bit large), Todd Begg's work, as well as Ferrum Forge. It appears I like the more tactical looking folders.
If only Andy made a frame lock...
Thanks for you input.
E

Thanks for the reply Nathan. I'm considering mid to high ( really more around $500-$700, some folders are thousands) because of their craftsmanship and artistic appeal. The very same reason I am drawn to FBF and some other makers of fine fixed blade knives. My problem is that in my line of work and my urban surroundings, it's hard, if not impossible to carry a fixed blade around daily. Finding that special folder that could ride in my pocket daily to remind me of beauty, function, and strength would lift my spirits every time I put it in or pulled it out of my pocket.
I like Spyderco knives, have owned a few, but was looking for something a little more unique. I really like the CRK Sebenza, the appearance of the Strider (though I handled one at Blade and it is a bit large), Todd Begg's work, as well as Ferrum Forge. It appears I like the more tactical looking folders.
If only Andy made a frame lock...
Thanks for you input.
E

When I make it back home next week I am going to shoot you an email about a CRK Sebenza I have. I would mainly be looking to trade, players included lol

E$, not sure what you'd consider mid to high, but I'm a Spyderco guy when it comes to folders. You'll find everything from the cheap to the exotic steels in any number of styles and sizes. I'm partial to their Carbon Fiber scaled knives. Sage1 is my favorite.

Throw out some ideas on what you're looking for. Size, use, etc.

Sounds like it is not what your looking for emoney but sage 1 is also my favorite folder!!!!! Goes with me everywhere.

Think I found what I'm looking for. A Jeremy Robertson (Calavera Cutlery) Model 4. Just got it today. Robust, great ergos, 100% handmade in the USA. Thanks for all the help. In would love to continue the folder discussions if anyone is interested. Maybe we can start a thread somewhere.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413318771.316584.jpg

Forgive me father for I have munged. I couldn't help it. There is sooooo much stuff on the flea market right now it is insanity, but to see this beautiful 3 finger Karda sitting there for days with no one willing to give her a home breaks my heart. It is one of the prettiest I've seen and its freaking tapered! I've moved in a different direction temporarily, I'm trying to move from collecting several things of medium value to fewer things of higher value. I've sold several of my Fiddlebacks off as well as some of my Busse (save my satin TG) folders and the Beretta above (pending). My goal is to line up a nice 1911, an AR15, and a hunting rifle. I've got my Remington tactical 12 gauge, and just acquired the folder above and have an El Patron from Calavera arriving tomorrow. I'll probably being selling (selling the Model 4 pictures above if anyone is interested). After I acquire these things I can refocus on my Fiddlebacks.
On a side note. I had 3 cervical disks fused last Friday (was not a fun surgery) and am loaded up on pain meds and Valium. I can't babysit my daughter right now because I can't lift more than 10 pounds, and my wife has worked 2 12 hour shifts the last 2 days. If anyone is wondering why on earth this message has become so long winded, I blame the isolation and the pain meds, lol. Thanks for listening.

In an effort to keep from munging up the Flea I'd like to ask permission from the elders prior to posting this. I've got a few upper end folders if like to trade for Fiddlebacks or Greenbacks. I'd prefer posting here because of the faith I have in the crowd here over some other places but don't want to cause an issue. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
In an effort to keep from munging up the Flea I'd like to ask permission from the elders prior to posting this. I've got a few upper end folders if like to trade for Fiddlebacks or Greenbacks. I'd prefer posting here because of the faith I have in the crowd here over some other places but don't want to cause an issue. What do you guys think?
It's a nice idea, but it's been asked before and the answer was a clear no. See Non Fiddleback Stuff for sale. That said, I think you could list your stuff in the Exchange, link your sale thread in your signature, and post a WTTF in the Flea Market thread noting your trade items are linked in your signature.

It's a nice idea, but it's been asked before and the answer was a clear no. See Non Fiddleback Stuff for sale. That said, I think you could list your stuff in the Exchange, link your sale thread in your signature, and post a WTTF in the Flea Market thread noting your trade items are linked in your signature.

Exactly why I asked it here first. Thanks for getting me in the correct direction. Much appreciated.

Forgive me father for I have munged. I couldn't help it. There is sooooo much stuff on the flea market right now it is insanity, but to see this beautiful 3 finger Karda sitting there for days with no one willing to give her a home breaks my heart. It is one of the prettiest I've seen and its freaking tapered!
Thanks E. The scales are pretty sweet. I got it thinking it might replace the EDK for me, but guess I'm partial to the EDK. I'm sure it will be a great ED knife for someone else (or maybe for me if it doesn't sell soon ;)).

Nice scores on the Robertsons. I've tried a couple other high end folders (CRK and Hinderer), but they didn't stick. Have always been attracted to the El Patron, but never could pull the trigger.

Thanks E. The scales are pretty sweet. I got it thinking it might replace the EDK for me, but guess I'm partial to the EDK. I'm sure it will be a great ED knife for someone else (or maybe for me if it doesn't sell soon ;)).

Nice scores on the Robertsons. I've tried a couple other high end folders (CRK and Hinderer), but they didn't stick. Have always been attracted to the El Patron, but never could pull the trigger.

Thanks Kirk. For me a fixed blade will always reign supreme in the woods, but for my daily urban uses a folder works just fine. I've owned a Begg, Sebenza, played with a Strider, and a buddy of my has a Hinderer. IMHO, the Calaveras blow them away. They're clean, strong, sexy, sharp as hell and have a heft to them that inspires confidence.

So I'm gonna take a moment to vent a little bit. I recently moved to a new town and caught wind of a man that makes Damascus knives within half a mile of me. I've driven by a few times and never seen him. This morning I drove by and he was outside sanding on a blade. So I stopped and talked to him and shared my interest of knives. I've spent some time crudely putting together a few knives but I don't have the right equipment to grind one out start to finish. I usually use custom made blanks. Well in our talkings I asked if he would be willing to show me a few things and I'll help him out. He told me, and very coldly, that he doesn't teach anyone because no one taught him. We chatted for several more minutes and I bid farewell. Just my luck ya know, live within half a mile of a guy that makes some pretty neat knives and he doesn't want to help me in the slightest. And before anyone says he doesn't want me stealing business or anything, that can't be true. He only sells knives to his friends. Just a major bummer... Well that's my rant. It's not really even worth talking about but dang am I bummed.

That kephart I got for sale is ironwood with lime green scales... Just sayin

I saw that, but I've owned enough Kepharts man. Never played with a Bushfinger, it's about time.

What does it take to buy a fiddleback? Impossible to get on Fridays and I finally see the exact kephart I've been waiting for, literally exact, I claim it first, talk to him, ask for paypal addy, and while I'm waiting he sells it out from under me. I was so excited all morning. WTH!!!!

It's frustrating I know. Just remember man, not everybody that responds to a sale do so publicly. The whole thing could have been done privately. I see that you responded to the sale well over a half hour after Hasco's sales post. That's ample time for someone to have scored it privately. Just try not to get heated over it. Though it's hard, try to give people the benefit of the doubt; there's some great people in this sub. You'll score bro, give it time.

It's frustrating I know. Just remember man, not everybody that responds to a sale do so publicly. The whole thing could have been done privately. I see that you responded to the sale well over a half hour after Hasco's sales post. That's ample time for someone to have scored it privately. Just try not to get heated over it. Though it's hard, try to give people the benefit of the doubt; there's some great people in this sub. You'll score bro, give it time.

+1. Thanks, Joe.

Michael

Back