The plague of S30V and S35VN

Not a plague to me. My favorites in each so far are the BM Bugout in S30V and the Southern Grind Spider Monkey in S35Vn.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two steels, and the blade sizes and profiles on these two pieces are ridiculously similar.

The belt was definitely old, and likely needed to be tossed, but it was what I had with me

Aaaahhhh . . .
yah . .
Since you started a few posts ago I was sitting here with my mouth open and gibbering and not sure if all this hours with diamond stones thing was a joke or . . .

Sounds like you need a longer XC diamond plate.
My ten inch that I have in advisably out of frustration put a whole lot of my body weight on while trying to flaten the large surfaces of the backs of hand plane blades and that I use almost exclusively to flatten all my stones ( read : it should be preety beat up and worn out if we were to beleive some of the other "stuff" we read here) . . .

That ten inch XC DMT eats S110V quite easily for the small surface area on knife bevels for major reprofiling. Shocked me the first time I did it.

As far as the worn out belt, getting back to that, there is a saying :
Life is too short to use old worn sand paper.
Freshening sharpening stones on an appropriate medium and using fresh belts is going to change your life (and your posts).

PS: I might add for the belts it has to be the right abrasive material for the job as well.

Last edited:
I’ve had a CR since they were available and mine was the same out of the box.....nice even edge that was screaming sharp!
It is my hiking knife, we have a German Shepherd and a Malamute that LOVE trekking in the woods!!
It performs beautifully and is touch as nails!
Used it plenty and have been able to touch up the factory edge with no problem on the Sharpmaker.
Great knife!
Joe

And that, my friend, is the point in a nutshell. :thumbsup:

Coincidentally, I took delivery of a Benchmade Crooked River today, in CPM S30v. It came surprisingly sharp from the factory, and I have no apprehensions concerning easily maintaining the edge for some years to come.

EDIT: I’ve just had a wee look, and they have them in O1. I don’t have any knives using that steel, what are the members’ views on it? I have quite a few fixed blades in 1095, and I do like and know how to look after carbon steel. Your thoughts most welcome!

My experiences with O1 are highly favourable: I have a Fiddleback in O1 and it outperforms my 1095cv Ka-Bar/Beckers in edge-holding without any noticeable difference in extra sharpening time. It will patina quicker than the 1095cv, but I happen to like patinas so that's a good factor for me. I would recommend getting an O1 blade to try out, if you like 1095 I think O1 is a better alternative.

Thanks man, that is very helpful. And it just pushed me into it, which is obviously what I actually wanted. But I’ll be blaming you and 353 if my wife finds out...

Well, that didn't take long to convince lol.

I would suggest everyone put him on mute. This spreading of ridiculous misinformation is quite annoying.

The problem with that is any post he makes will be read by many members too inexperienced to call him out, we need to make sure his baloney is debunked in public and the only way that happens is by keeping him visible.

I’ve had a CR since they were available and mine was the same out of the box.....nice even edge that was screaming sharp!
It is my hiking knife, we have a German Shepherd and a Malamute that LOVE trekking in the woods!!
It performs beautifully and is touch as nails!
Used it plenty and have been able to touch up the factory edge with no problem on the Sharpmaker.
Great knife!
Joe
Gave me a big smile to read that! :)

It’s one heck of a knife, I think it might just have allowed my first and ultimately favourite BM, a 701 D2, to retire gracefully, and its backup, the one I got in M390 when they discontinued the model, can also go hang for a while.

Can’t wait to get it out in the country, it is just gorgeous and needs proper use. It is one of ‘those’ knives, to me - love at first sight and touch. Love, love, love it. :)

A friend very generously offered me a set of the stabilised wood scales, as they makes their own customs. So I get the option! To say I’m grateful would be an understatement. Just so pleased at this moment. Great experience on a day of mourning for me personally. No need for sympathy, just one of those interesting, and in this case soul warming, juxtapositions.

Last edited:
My experiences with O1 are highly favourable: I have a Fiddleback in O1 and it outperforms my 1095cv Ka-Bar/Beckers in edge-holding without any noticeable difference in extra sharpening time. It will patina quicker than the 1095cv, but I happen to like patinas so that's a good factor for me. I would recommend getting an O1 blade to try out, if you like 1095 I think O1 is a better alternative.

Well, that didn't take long to convince lol.

The problem with that is any post he makes will be read by many members too inexperienced to call him out, we need to make sure his baloney is debunked in public and the only way that happens is by keeping him visible.

Many thanks for your words of experience, which are golden. I was at the first stage of convinced, thinking ‘I will at some point’, now I’m at the planning stage.

Last edited:
00DE8C12-7D50-43D2-8603-91B24EE47CB0.jpeg Felt the same exact way when I unboxed mine!
The best part??? The more you use and carry it......the more you will love it!!
Built like a sexy tank! Great action too! Mine is smooth as oiled glass and locks up TIGHT!
Enjoy it brother!
Joe

Gave me a big smile to read that! :)

It’s one heck of a knife, I think it might just have allowed my first and ultimately favourite BM, a 701 D2, to retire gracefully, and its backup, the one I got in M390 when they discontinued the model, can also go hang for a while.

Can’t wait to get it out in the country, it is just gorgeous and needs proper use. It is one of ‘those’ knives, to me - love at first sight and touch. Love, love, love it. :)

A friend very generously offered me a set of the stabilised wood scales, as they makes their own customs. So I get the option! To say I’m grateful would be an understatement. Just so pleased at this moment. Great experience on a day of mourning for me personally. No need for sympathy, just one of those interesting, and in this case soul warming, juxtapositions.

View attachment 794929 Felt the same exact way when I unboxed mine!
The best part??? The more you use and carry it......the more you will love it!!
Built like a sexy tank! Great action too! Mine is smooth as oiled glass and locks up TIGHT!
Enjoy it brother!
Joe

LOL Joe... Sexy Tank indeed! If they'd just make a "mini Crooked River" I'd be all over it. This one is just over my EDC comfort zone.

If the Crooked River and the Bugout ever have a kid, I'm adopting it immediately.

I use mine all the time, have a variety of belts for it from 40-grit all the way to 15um polishing belts. The first thing I did was remove the table and the side-cover, push out the platen and curve the top of it allow a smoother transition, then i flipped the thing on it's back so i can actually use it, and now it is good-to-go :thumbsup: I can sharpen everything from lawn-mower blades to little stockman speys on that thing, and a reprofile takes very little time. As mentioned above, all you need is sharp belts and a careful hand.

I have to admit that I never really looked at it that closely. Over the years of having my woodworking company I have acquired 3 different stationary sanders, one being a 1" Delta many years ago. When the HF didn't work out right away, I dismissed it as "it is the wife's, not mine" and "that's how HF is, hit or miss". Never gave it a second look or second thought. But thinking about what you with it, I will probably take it out (still in the original box!) and try it out with your modifications.

I have not tried it with broken glass, that sounds more like a problem of choosing the right belts for the job...

That was pretty popular with her and her girlfriends for a while. That, and drinking a lot of white wine while designing, grinding and gluing. The little machine worked great for them with the stock belt. Turned out to be a passing fancy, making me thankful I didn't spend a lot on a sander that I would by for the wood shop.

Regarding light-weight, you can secure it in place, don't get why that would be a problem. Regarding no "good place to put the knife", you hold it in your hand and place it against the belt... o_O Do you mean you want an angle-guide of some kind?

LOL!!! So that's what I have been doing wrong all these years! I was holding the knife between my toes!

Seriously, I have been sharpening on my Delta 1x30 for about 20+ years. I always hand finish. And for me, I never use it on my knives. But I have a little side business sharpening for my friends and for a medium size business. They don't take care of their knives and I found that after I committed to sharpening they cleaned out their drawers and I got knives that were chipped, bent, edges bent in different directions, etc., and I couldn't charge enough to work those out by hand. About 30 years ago I had a friend that was an older fellow that used sharpen my circular saw blades. When things started to change over to carbide which the old C2 stuff we used until it was dull then threw away, he was out of business. (C3 and C4 you can sharpen.)

He needed the income, so he took his saw blade setup out of his little mail truck, and put a homemade belt sharpener in the truck. The sharpener was easy to use (just a slack belt setup) and it was easy for him to make. He couldn't find any belts locally, so he bought them at Grainger supply. He could grind out chips, straighten edges, sharpen, then hone a damaged knife in minutes. That always impressed me. He didn't get a lot for sharpening (I don't either...) but he was really fast and could tear through a restaurant's kitchen knives at warp speed.

He was the one that showed me how to sharpen on a "slack belt", grind out chips on a platen, and polish the edges holding just off the guide wheels. I was too lazy to build one like his 30 years ago, and only tried the Delta on a lark after watching a friend of mine edge his damaged hatchet on a 6X48 belt sander.

May give the old HF another look. If I take enough pieces off and lay it over like you are describing it might turn out to be a good tool for me. I'll keep your tip in mind and make sure I am wearing my shoes (so I remember to use my hands!) when sharpening/grinding.

Robert

That crooked river is a beautiful knife. It is not my kind of knife but I would not mind at all having it. It is just plain gorgeous and it feels so nice in the hand and the grind and blade shape are sleek.

That crooked river is a beautiful knife. It is not my kind of knife but I would not mind at all having it. It is just plain gorgeous and it feels so nice in the hand and the grind and blade shape are sleek.

It has the strongest detente of any non assisted Axis lock I’ve come across, including the 275. That counts for a lot in serious undertakings, as I’m sure you will agree. Yet it deploys very quick if you want it to. Great knife. Not for everybody, of course, it is a big old knife. :thumbsup:

Glad I got a CR, it's becoming a favorite BM. And BM seems to do an awesome job with S30V, I have no complaints about it's factory edge or edge retention, and SM touch ups are easy and effective.
BM need to make 2 more sizes, around 3.6" and 3.25", sell like hot cakes they would.

1rZ2sCY.jpg

I think what's happening is that you're leaving a very small, hard burr. S30V, especially at hardnesses above 60 Rc, can leave this kind of hard-to-detect burr. This burr is stronger then a typical burr, but it still won't hold up to much cutting tasks before degrading into a working edge.

What I do before moving to the next stone grit is to cut the burr off with a very short (1/8th of an inch), light, leading edge stroke. That's enough to cut off the existing burr. If you make the stroke too long, it will form a new burr on the other side of the apex.

After your last stone, cut off the potential burr this way and then lightly strop the edge. With a clean apex, S30V will hold a sharp edge longer than VG10, as well as a much longer working edge.
I know you meant no harm, but I do know how to take a burr off. The steel is what it is. It doesn't hold the level of edge that I want for the amount of time I need it. Appreciate the advice though.

I didn’t say a belt sander will destroy a knife. I USE a belt grinder - this is what I do! ;)

The odds of you not overheating the edge with a dull 320 grit belt are minuscule, though, and that was the point I was trying to make. Even with sharp belts, I grind with a misting system to mitigate heat.
Mitigating heat was what made it take so long. I was taking it slow and steady to make sure I didn't butcher the knife. The fact that I maintained a consistent angle after that long is honestly kind of surprising to me, I don't normally have an attention span to do that, apparently knives are the exception.

Aaaahhhh . . .
yah . .
Since you started a few posts ago I was sitting here with my mouth open and gibbering and not sure if all this hours with diamond stones thing was a joke or . . .

Sounds like you need a longer XC diamond plate.
My ten inch that I have in advisably out of frustration put a whole lot of my body weight on while trying to flaten the large surfaces of the backs of hand plane blades and that I use almost exclusively to flatten all my stones ( read : it should be preety beat up and worn out if we were to beleive some of the other "stuff" we read here) . . .

That ten inch XC DMT eats S110V quite easily for the small surface area on knife bevels for major reprofiling. Shocked me the first time I did it.

As far as the worn out belt, getting back to that, there is a saying :
Life is too short to use old worn sand paper.
Freshening sharpening stones on an appropriate medium and using fresh belts is going to change your life (and your posts).

PS: I might add for the belts it has to be the right abrasive material for the job as well.
The belt I used was worn, and I was working really slow to mitigate heat. Not as crazy with full context, but that knife still did its best to test me.

As for the other forever long reprofile of S30V it was a serious job to take with a 6" stone. Had to stop from hands cramping and cleaning the stone about a million times, give or take. My XC stone is worn, but it still eats steel when I need to it to, it also sits at just the right height to actually use it with my Aligner too, using the clamp as an angle guide on the desk (rubbing the botton of the arms on the desk). I can't even use the full 6" like that, but it is a lot more aggressive than my XC Magnaguide stone.

The reason so many knives makers utilize S30V and S35VN for their premium blade steel is " ease of sharpening " and edge retention.
Even though I have a belt sander and good belts in my humble shop , I never use it to sharpen knives.

I know you seem to believe that you weren’t overheating it, but I assure you that NO amount of time and patience will prevent you from overheating a knife on that little belt sander with a dull belt. According to Harbor Freight’s website, that machine’s rate of speed is 3,260 sanding feet per minute, or about the same top speed as what many grinders that knifemakers use.

As I can’t seem to convince you otherwise, this will be my last post in this thread regarding this topic, but even the tiniest amount of research should allow you to reach the same conclusion. If you’re thinking that you’ll feel the heat with your hands, it’s far too late for that. You’re talking about the tiniest area at the edge - if you managed to heat up into the primary bevel, you’ve more than roached the edge...

Mitigating heat was what made it take so long. I was taking it slow and steady to make sure I didn't butcher the knife. The fact that I maintained a consistent angle after that long is honestly kind of surprising to me, I don't normally have an attention span to do that, apparently knives are the exception.

Pretty sure a smaller version, 3 1/4” blade, is
I’m the works......they won’t be able to keep up with demand!
Joe

LOL Joe... Sexy Tank indeed! If they'd just make a "mini Crooked River" I'd be all over it. This one is just over my EDC comfort zone.

If the Crooked River and the Bugout ever have a kid, I'm adopting it immediately.

I wonder if the crooked river will translate well into a smaller size. i cant imagind the blade having the same beauty. But hopefully it would. I think i would buy one.

Back