The Puukko

Arathol -

I found I have that "catalog" also, same pic in Ristinen's book. I just didn't look through it, only at the maker's list at the back. Probably still would not have seen the connection though.

No one has seen or have other antler handled puukko?

Rich

Arathol -

I found I have that "catalog" also, same pic in Ristinen's book. I just didn't look through it, only at the maker's list at the back. Probably still would not have seen the connection though.

No one has seen or have other antler handled puukko?

Rich
If you watch auction lists and the like they do come up often in lots of variations. Most if not all seem like someone has rehandled a blade though. Not unusual as the colorful galilith handles can deteriorate over time, cracking and falling apart when not maintained properly, and bark handled knives sometimes dry out and crumble.

I know next to nothing about puukkos and their makers, but, I have always liked the looks of them and decided to buy this one. The blade is made by Altti Kankaanpaa and the custom handle was made by a fellow in North Carolina. These are the seller's pictures.

IMGP6580.jpg IMGP6579.jpg IMGP6582.jpg IMGP6578.jpg

Last edited:
Nice puukko and well designed sheath. Kankaanpaa makes excellent blades. I have one Allti.
Rich

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm trying to research another Kauhava Puukko I have had for a while, this time it's a horse head.

Having looked and looked, I can't find any list of Kauhava knife makers that covers the period 1870 to 2000. I assume there is a list in the book "
The Knives of Finland by Lester C Ristinen", however I cannot find a sensibly priced copy of this book.

So the question - does anyone know of a list of Kauhava knife makers that covers the period 1870 to 2000?

By the way, there is a new Puukko book due for publication on 28th November 2020 - "The Puukko: Finnish Knives from Antiquity to Today" by Anssi Ruusuvuori.

Cheers,

Mike

Have Ristinen, but no way to copy it :-( Are you looking for a specific maker? Is the Ruusuvuori book in English?
Rich

Here's another larger puukko, this one from Eino Lahdensuo, shown with my EDC knife.
The script reads Lahdensuo Lapua in the fuller and Suomi on the lower part of the blade.

20E2hrrh.jpg

5a8NwqNh.jpg

OMsx9aeh.jpg

Ib7teEFh.jpg

I have found this 176 page book to be worthwhile.View attachment 1313114 View attachment 1313115
I've been trying for a while to get a copy of the Ristinen book, there are reasonably priced copies in the USA - but the shipping to where I live (in the outer islands of the UK) doubles the price of the book to in excess of $60. Hopefully I will be able to eventually source a copy from within the UK or Europe.

Many desirable books can be rather expensive. I have some expensive books that I have read, handled, enjoyed for many hours and years, often much more so than some of the knives with which the books concern themselves, and which cost more than the book. I look at it this way- Not only a much repeated enjoyable read, but a research tool, and a collectible in their own right.
I totally agree with you. I just don't like getting ripped off with excessive postage and packaging charges.

Dan, your custom handled Altti is perhaps my favorite puukko I've seen, as far as actual use goes. The pommel, half-guard and overall size look to me like it would be extremely comfortable and controllable for long sessions. And . . . it's very beautiful!

Thanks Jeff! It has a 4 1/8" blade and a 5" handle and it is indeed very comfortable to handle. I did buy it to use.

Back