The Puukko

Thank you so much Rich, but I don't see myself with the ability or tools to build a knife!!:cool::thumbsup:

If I can craft one, I'm sure you can also. Give it a go.

Get a Lauri blade. They provide the blades for some more expensive brands, so I've heard, but they're inexpensive enough that you won't kick yourself if it turns out like this.
BDLKKJv.jpg

Jer

that's a nice looking puukko you made. I'd be proud to carry/use it anytime.
Rich

Rich S, since the sheath says "Norge 1945" probably a German soldier's acquisition, who had been stationed in North Finland, where he could have gotten the puukko in Rovaniemi. John

John

When I got this several years ago, the seller said it had belonged to a German soldier. I always take seller's comments with a grain of salt. Maybe he was correct.
Rich

Arathol

Not usually my favorite handle material, very modernistic and very well executed, but I like it. Beautiful.

One I'd like to get is the Ahti Juhla; very Tommi-ish, but a lot less expensive. Maybe if I ever get our "economic stimulus" check I'll stimulate the late Ragnar's site (or who ever is running it now).
Rich

Last edited:
Rich.s,how do these old style rhombic puukkos perform for other tasks beside wood cutting,and do you put micro edge on them ?

Lone star

I've used and carried a 4" puukko for years. Long haul backpacking with 35# backpack the Appalachian trail for 2-3 weeks at a time. Puukko does everything you could ask of a good knife. I hone mine to a full Scandi edge, then draw back on fine (1000 grit) emory once each direction (away from the edge obviously) to put a micro bevel on the edge. Holds an edge better that in IMHO. I'm not a wood carver. I am an outdoor hiker/backpacker. My puukko have always done everything I need doing (cutting small branches for fire wood, tent pegs, etc.). I think they are the best designed knife on the planet. Note: they don't normally have a cross guard, so don't plan on stabbing cans, trees, etc. I carry a SAK Tinker to open cans, bottles,etc. for the small tasks.
Rich

Edit: If you need something for chopping, I'd suggest adding a hand axe or better (IMHO) a 8" leuku. the Nordic peoples of Finland, Norway, Sweden have lived or died for hundreds of years by using their knives.

Last edited:
Mark

Now you need to make a hanger for your puukko. Is that a Martiinni Lynx model?

Rich

Mark

Sorry I don't have any pictures that show clearly a hanger. Try looking at sites like Ragweed or Thompsons; basically a loop attached near the top of the sheath to hang on belt. I you plan on putting it in a pack, etc. it's not needed.
Rich

Back