The Traveling Spyderco Delica. . .

JsQYAeK_d.jpg

hHnBS5c_d.jpg

TjEhRU9_d.jpg

Went down to one of the most popular beaches in my area, Bastendorff Beach. It’s named after a local family some of whom I know, or have known at one time. I am a commercial fisherman, and my dad has owned and operated his own vessel for the last 25 years and has been fishing for an additional 10 years before that. John (I think) Bastendorff used to work for my dad when I was younger and his son and I were friends for a time. The beach is over a mile in length and has a light house a ways past the south end. The north end of the beach stops at the south jetty of the Coos River bar, which has in the last 2 years claimed 5 lives and has been painted as a dangerous crossing by local media. When in fact it is one of the safest on the Oregon Coast because of how deep it is. Not that transiting any bar should be taken lightly, but all of those, along with all lives taken by the sea are caused by human error. One of the lives lost was the skipper of the fishing vessel that my grandfather owned. It capsized returning to port due to unknown causes.
I don’t have a picture of my Grandpa’s boat, but here’s one of my Dad’s set up to fish for pink shrimp, were now awaiting the opening of the Dungeoness crab season.
Fishing Vessel Jeanette Marrie, 67 feet long, 24 feet wide, 110 metric tons, build in 1988 by Giddings Boat Works, Charleston Oregon.
qVvLjN2_d.jpg

Nice pics, lots of tasty crab to be had in Coos Bay!

Nice pics, lots of tasty crab to be had in Coos Bay!
Thank you!
You’ve been to Coos Bay? I’ve lived here my whole life. March 1st will be 25 years.

Believe it or not, I don’t like seafood! Lol
Fresh halibut, is good but that’s it for me.

I apologize to the OP and other readers of a bit of a side conversation is a nuisance.

Thank you!
You’ve been to Coos Bay? I’ve lived here my whole life. March 1st will be 25 years.

Believe it or not, I don’t like seafood! Lol
Fresh halibut, is good but that’s it for me.

I apologize to the OP and other readers of a bit of a side conversation is a nuisance.

I was born in Grantpass but moved to East TN 10 years ago. Since then I've been out to visit my grand father. He does a lot of fishing, crabbing, clamming etc. so anytime I went out there I'd help out. He crabs out of Coos Bay, fun times......for me at least, can't say the same for the crabs.

I'm actually not surprised to hear you don't like seafood, a lot of people I've met out there said the same thing. I can never get over how weird it is though.

I was born in Grantpass but moved to East TN 10 years ago. Since then I've been out to visit my grand father. He does a lot of fishing, crabbing, clamming etc. so anytime I went out there I'd help out. He crabs out of Coos Bay, fun times......for me at least, can't say the same for the crabs.

I'm actually not surprised to hear you don't like seafood, a lot of people I've met out there said the same thing. I can never get over how weird it is though.
I’ve been commercial fishing for over 7 years (I did it in the summers during high school) I’ve personally handled enough fish to feed an army and then some lol
My wife was born in grants pass and a lot of her family is still there. My family had a ranch there too at one time.
I will try to get a picture tomorrow of Cam with the 500 Trilogy crab pots we will be running this season, they’re currently sitting idle in front of our gear shed. If I have time I will run down to the docks and take some pictures on the boat with it as well, I only wish we were still shrimping so I could have a fellow deck hand and knife nut take a picture of me mending the net using Cam to trim “whiskers” as we call them.
She didn’t leave my pocket today, kids had a doctors appointment. They have a pretty neat salt water aquarium in the lobby but I didn’t think it appropriate to take a knife out with several families watching me lol

I'm loving this thread. Because of it, I've taken out my combo-edge Delica 4 (my first "4") that I bought back in 2007. I had put it aside, because...well, I found I liked fully-serrated saber grind, or fully-plain FFG even better. Now, I have a much bigger appreciation of my CE D4. Looking at it with new eyes now, and having been using it since the debut of Cam, I'm finding it an amazing cutter that I never gave it credit for previously.

Oh, BTW, last week I also purchased a PE saber grind D4. The main reason is...(don't laugh)...because it's the knife of Willem Dafoe's character in The Hunter (a movie I like a lot). :)

Jim

Last edited:
Not much time to take pictures today, I did get one... we just got 2 new gear sheds that are right next to each other so we will have a lot more space to work and store stuff we aren’t currently using.
Here’s cam next to a partly disassembled midwater net for Whiting fishing. Whiting is what your getting if you go to the store and get “artificial crab meat” this net will catch up to 120,000 pounds at a time. There is a device called a head rope sounder that sets an alarm off in the wheel house to notify you of when the cod end (the part that the fish accumulate in) is full. When I was younger, 16, or 17 I can recal one specific tow where we only had the gear in the water for 9 minutes before the sounder went off and we had about 110,000 pounds.
Xk2PYGw_d.jpg

I did get to make use of her a little bit today, had to cut several pieces of 7/16 blue steel crab rope to use to bundle up some smaller extra pieces of web that we call “slugging material”. It’s to make patching a very large hole a lot faster. Cam glided through it with ease. :thumbsup:

Any news on Cam celebrating the New Year?
Apologies everyone, been quite busy and haven’t had any time for any adventures. Unfortunately my New Years was terribly uneventful, my kids had a rough day and went to bed early (even earlier than normal). I did have some fire works to set off but I ended up turning in before the new year rolled around.
I emailed MMAR a few days ago to send Cam on to the next participant but haven’t heard back. Dungeoness crab season is finally going to be starting and if I don’t get her shipped off soon I will have to ask my fiancé to send it while I’m at sea. I had so many plans for my time with cam, but life happens and I haven’t had the opportunity to go around the area and get pictures with Cam of the handful of interesting places Coos County has to offer. I will try to get to a couple of them but I’m afraid I can’t make it a promise.
Hope everyone had a terrific new year and has a great 2018!

Was just talking with my dad about a rifle hunt we’re going on this coming October in Wyoming and that got me thinking, a Delica like this would make an excellent utility knife in a camp like situation. Obviously not in a bush crafting role but other tasks, cutting rope, food, maybe some whittling... stuff like that. Then I realized Cam is fairly close to the pattern of the stock on my rifle.
Q5lMUEh_d.jpg

Kind of wishing I’d have gotten in the rotation so that I’d have her with me while I’m there.
If your interested, it’s a custom .300 RUM built by the boys over at MOA rifles in Bend, Oregon. Topped off with a Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50, the carbon fiber bipod is also made by MOA rifles, she’s a phenomenal shooter.

Last edited:
Loaded our gear on the boat today. 500, 40”x13” pots. Roughly 150 pounds a piece, unlike king crab pots you may have seen on TV we move ours by hand. In order to fit all 500 we have to put 100 in the fish hold.
KQ0BxRt_d.jpg

hVZrI3R_d.jpg

69HjGTX_d.jpg

This is a tug boat that assists the ships that come into port here in Charleston.
oz4sQdW_d.jpg

The processing plant we deliver to (and load the crab gear at) is located in the portion of the basin that the majority of the smaller boats tie in. Most of these are salmon/tuna/halibut boats.
EaCc5Qj_d.jpg

Here’s a shot of part of our engine room, there is another motor on the other side of the 600 hp Cat main engine, the gray ones to the left side are both 100kw John Deere generators, the closer one being brand new. We just installed it about 5 months ago when the other 100kw started having problems. The new gen-set replaces a 30kw backup generator that was just enough to get us home. So we decided to rebuild the 100kw we had, and get a second one so we could avoid losing so much money if one of them broke down. The new John Deere’s are only a 4 cylinder and man are they quiet!
MWskZgS_d.jpg

This compass is somewhat of a back up, as the majority of our GPS, and navigation are run off of a satellite compas these days. This one is a standard magnetic compass, and is an original piece of equipment. So it’s been on the boat since she was built in 1988.
O8HlKAz_d.jpg

This is the research vessel used by U of O, it’s a sad comparison to the vessel (I think they have more than one) that OSU has.
SqNbkeL_d.jpg

I didn’t take this picture but this boat used to be called F/V Pacific Storm (now R/V Pacific Storm) it belonged to a long time family friend and I remember playing on it with my friend Cole, who’s father was the owner. Good times. Anyway, thought maybe you’d all like to see OSU’s boat in comparison to UO lol
_mg_4883.jpg

As MMAR said I will be shipping Cam off to the next destination. I plan to get her in the mail on Monday.
I thank you MostMenAreRuthless MostMenAreRuthless for starting this thread giving me the opportunity to participate and you uxo2 uxo2 for being so generous as to donate yet a 3rd knife to the cause. I only wish I’d had more time to spend showing you all more of the place Cam has been living.
I look forward to futer posts on this thread, and may the next participant find themselves with more idle time than I.

Back