The Undauntable Cattle Knife

Instead of using my old scans, I decided to take some new ones.
Here are two "Junior" Cattle knives, at ~3 3/8".
They are considered "Junior" if they are less than 3 1/2" long.

Of these two, the top one is not branded, but is obviously Schrade-made.
It probably had an etch for a retail concern. The bottom knife is a Schrade Walden.
CattleNew1_zpsf82a5af8.jpg

Here are two full sized models, a Schrade Cut. Co, and below it, a twin to Duncan's Camillus! Duncan, does yours have a punch blade?

CattleNew2_zpsd36b9a9e.jpg

Last edited:
Finally an early Case XX, and an older (pre-WWI) W.R.Case & Sons with unusual Bone handles. I have another Case with those handles, but have never found a definitive name for them.
CattleNew3_zps662d6cf8.jpg

Charlie, thank you for the new scans!! That full size Schrade has be dancing!! Patiently waiting for more......

Charlie - This is the best I can get until the light gets better. These were an SFO for SMKW in 2010. The Waldens were basically Northfields and the Ulsters were Tidioutes. The photo w/ both knives is SMKW marketing material I think.

Pile side
D795AC66-793A-4307-9001-3D4713FBF73E_zpsvnl3ft9e.jpg

Both cattle knives from GEC.
GEC_Cattle_stockman.jpg
Such beauty ! It is making me tear up a little. :)

Finally an early Case XX, and an older (pre-WWI) W.R.Case & Sons with unusual Bone handles. I have another Case with those handles, but have never found a definitive name for them.
CattleNew3_zps662d6cf8.jpg

Charlie, they look a lot like what Case now calls corn cob jigging.

Great knives. Lots of beautiful bone and stag scales. This looks to be a similar pattern although Wostenholm named it a Farmer's knife.

scan0004-5.jpg

14-10-07004-1.jpg

:cool:

I call deal spotting and just ordered a dozen of each from this post. :D

Just for the record that $31.50 per Dozen in 1940 works out to be about $524.15 by my inflation calculator or $43.68 per knife in todays dollars. And that was wholesale. Not all that far from expected for current production. Dont get me wrong I would love to buy a new one at that price.

Don

Wow some nice looking knives added to this thread! Makes me wish I was a Cattleman!

Wow some nice looking knives added to this thread! Makes me wish I was a Cattleman!

Really Gary?
Personally I have:
- Pruning knives, but I am not a gardener
- Kitchen knives, but I am not a chef
- Combat knives, but I am not a soldier
- Peanut knife, but I am not nuts (well, not 100% sure on this one ;))

So why should it keep you from getting a Cattle knife not being a Cattleman? :D

Some beautiful old knives, Brad! Thanks for showing them!!

I still say that beautiful Bose is a stockman!!

But a rose by any other name . . . . . . . .:D

Gary - you are so right, I am quite blown away by the stunning knives in here - just amazing!
Charlie-those knives are just something else - stunning examples of absolute top quality craftsmanship - beautiful Peachseed!
Brad...each one you have just put up - WOW, those DE's really stand out for me - its always a pleasure to look at your knives Gentleman! - just amazing, I only dream of owning such fine examples!!!
Charlie, no my Camillus has a Pen blade - not the punch!
Sticks is right about Gevonovich's lovely old knife - what a beauty that is!

Some beautiful old knives, Brad! Thanks for showing them!!

I still say that beautiful Bose is a stockman!!

But a rose by any other name . . . . . . . .:D

Charlie after several years of searching I may finally be in agreement with you. I have found exactly one example in about three years searching of a Premier Cattle Knife, other than the Tony Bose DE Cattle. It was a Winchester Junior Premier of only 3 1/4" and only a picture, not the knife. So it did exist but in such limited numbers it barely qualifies!

But yes, it is still a rose!

Back