The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be down for a forum knife and it would be my first.

I like a few of the options given so far.

The custom Benchmade Proper would be cool. A custom Sak with single sprint and long sheepsfoot and spear blades in a cool alox color.

I would love to see a Case mini copperlock with a CV wharncliffe and micarta covers.

As to @afishhunter I would pitch in to get you one. You post quite a bit of good info and what's the point of having a forum if we can't all come together for a good cause.

@knifeswapper Mike, my thoughts are with you and your family. I sincerely hope that you all pull through ok. Please do not trouble yourself with this year's forum knife endeavor - you've facilitated some excellent knives for us the last couple of years, I think you have more than earned a reprieve.

If we are to have a forum knife this year, I will be purchasing one regardless of what it ends up being. In terms of pattern, blade configuration, and cover options - I do not have any particular strong feelings one way or the other. This, of course, is subject to change as the discussion and potentially cemented options become more evolved.

Every year, our choices seem to get more limited (it can certainly be discouraging) and due to the rather diverse and discriminating nature of this board, we do not make things particularly pleasant for the dealers/folks who step up on our behalf. I do enjoy spirited discourse but I also believe that such arguments and debates can be conducted with a lot less heat, a lot more objectivity, and infinitely more patience.

I will look forward to reading what Charlie is able to discover on our behalf. Otherwise, it seems our list of options grows thin.

Looks like your boat has come in Charlie waynorth waynorth ....I just recieved your orders from the Lord of the Porchenberg Admiralty.....as follows..
"To :Harbour Master John" Ironguts" Meakin..
Inform able seaman Charles Campagna that he is hereby promoted to the rank of Helmsman for the duration of this voyage...with compensatory remuneration as befits the position etc....I look forward to hearing that he accepts his doom...err ....fate..no...err...this important and vital role immediately without delay....yours etc...
L.O.T.A.P.N..
Hurrah and rums all round."

So that settles it I think.
Cheers..

The term "Proper" has cropped up here, as it has very rarely. In all my too many years of fooling with knives, I have only heard it 3-4 times - Pray tell, someone please tell me about that term;:confused:
What is it?? A type of knife??
Where did the term arise??
Please enlighten my ignorant self!!:rolleyes:

Looks like your boat has come in Charlie waynorth waynorth ....I just recieved your orders from the Lord of the Porchenberg Admiralty.....as follows..
"To :Harbour Master John" Ironguts" Meakin..
Inform able seaman Charles Campagna that he is hereby promoted to the rank of Helmsman for the duration of this voyage...with compensatory remuneration as befits the position etc....I look forward to hearing that he accepts his doom...err ....fate..no...err...this important and vital role immediately without delay....yours etc...
L.O.T.A.P.N..
Hurrah and rums all round."

So that settles it I think.
Cheers..
Hey All!! Don't get your hopes up too high!! This is still a slim chance.
But I will give it the old porch try!! (why do I feel this vague sense of impending . . . . . . . . . .:rolleyes:)
Damn the torpedos!!:mad: Full speed ahead!!:thumbsup::D

The term "Proper" has cropped up here, as it has very rarely. In all my too many years of fooling with knives, I have only heard it 3-4 times - Pray tell, someone please tell me about that term;:confused:

It's a Benchmade slipjoint model name, the Proper. :)

Charlie, it's a knife model made by a company called Benchmade, and many would probably call it a "modern traditional". I know nothing about them, but the following blurb is on a dealer website:
Benchmade Proper knives are slip joint folders with a stylish and sleek build that slides comfortably in your pocket. It's a traditional mechanism with modern materials and design. You can choose from the likes of CPM-S30V or S90V steel, paired with either G-10 or Micarta. Whether you've owned a traditional slip joint or not, the Benchmade Proper will make a great addition to any gentleman's carry collection.
Current models seem to run about $200, maybe?

- GT

But I will give it the old porch try!! (why do I feel this vague sense of impending . . . . . . . . . .:rolleyes:)

It feels like the rudder is slightly broken and going in a desired direction will be a fun journey!! :D :rolleyes:
From what I have seen the basic Proper runs about 130.00 and I have seen many examples of adding different custom scales. It is one of the more modern traditionals that is cool looking with micarta and clip point or wharncliffe blade.

Last edited:
It's a Benchmade slipjoint model name, the Proper. :)
Charlie, it's a knife model made by a company called Benchmade, and many would probably call it a "modern traditional". I know nothing about them, but the following blurb is on a dealer website:
Benchmade Proper knives are slip joint folders with a stylish and sleek build that slides comfortably in your pocket. It's a traditional mechanism with modern materials and design. You can choose from the likes of CPM-S30V or S90V steel, paired with either G-10 or Micarta. Whether you've owned a traditional slip joint or not, the Benchmade Proper will make a great addition to any gentleman's carry collection.
Current models seem to run about $200, maybe?

- GT
Thanks guys!! Between your comments, and Giggling it, my question is answered!!:D
It kind of leaves me cold! I am sure it's a worthy cutter, but as a Traditional - it's a bit of a stretch IMO! I could take no proper part in a Proper; being stubborn, and rigidly old-fashioned
(get off my lawn!!:mad:)!!:D
Continuing on . . . . .I'll continue with my task, if Bill can come to the phone tomorrow . . . . . talk soon!!

8EA2FDC5-18AD-47CC-8A6B-9C3D09EA4479.jpeg What about a Boker? Like the Barlows in the pics above. Or like this AG Russell small Moose, is this a Moose pattern? This small one has gotten some good pocket time, and the Boker two blade and Boker single blade too.

Last edited:
Why do I have a mental image of a bulldog spinning a chocolate wheel....coming to a stop on a Benchmade Proper....and me as an unlucky cat saying
"not that...not the proper! Anything but that!...not the proper!!..IN THE NAME OF HUMANITY!!! NAAT THE PROPERRRRrrrrr..."

The water in Porchenberg harbour was a dull grey murky soup.
The Captain Neptune lolled at anchor but the ropes holding her to the quayside were slowly tightening as the tide brought her up straight.
A flock of Curmudgeons ( thank you @r8shell ) flapped past in the brightening dawn....their lazy wing beats keeping time with their plaintive and frankly irritating honking.
"If only they were good to eat " muttered the Bosun eyeing the birds and gazing through the pre dawn horizon.
" Theyre not bad if ye stew em up with some rocks ." Stated the Captain as he strode aboard.." You put in the pot with some cobblestones and when the stones is dissolved...Curmudgeon be a fine meal.".

This post reminded me of one of my favorite old Dr Hook Songs The Soup Stone. :):thumbsup:

To get back on topic I'd love the opportunity to Get a GEC #16 Canoe in Jigged Bone. I know when they first ran this model it sat in stores for months but that was then and this is now. Today GEC could sellout a 2000 unit run of butter knives with Wonder Bread Acrylic Handles. :p:D:rolleyes:
P.S. I realize GEC only dose patterns they've already decided on but with the #85 & #38 whittler in one year the sky's the limit in my mind you just never know what ol Bill has up his sleeve lol.

Last edited:
This is true... for sure! :cool::thumbsup:
My hope is that they tell Charlie that they will give us a certain pattern, a particular blade, and then give us some cover and shield options... Done!
I couldn't agree with this more. I think things go a lot better when we start off on a set path, and then get some choices as we go along. I'm also sure that this would raise our chances of getting a GEC. Maybe from none to slim...but that's still an improvement!!

Hopefully they have a pattern or two in mind scheduled this summer but only have one or two covers figured for it. Otherwise, if they already have number of covers for a particular pattern, they are going to be less inclined to spread themselves thinner for an sfo for us.

Tomorrow, bills going to tell charlie, “well, we are planning a canoe pattern this summer and we have only figured a smooth bone for it so far. We would like to make more so by all means, if your club wants to help in deciding where to go with an sfo, we would welcome the venture.”

Bend yer backs
And Row me Lads...

Im liking the Canoe idea a lot....i prommus to keep the nautical references to an absolute minimum this year....:rolleyes:;):)....Now the tide be flowin ..Set yer black hearts to the task ahead ....If we keep us wits about us ...keep an ear to to the Helmsman....we will come back with rich bounty...HAVE I NOT PROMISED YE THIS BEFORE LADS?..
I say to hell with southerly gales and O'erboard with the naysayers!...Be ye Men O' The Porch??? or plastic wannabes?.....ooooh hang on ...message coming through from Porchenberg Fleet High Command....as follows:(sound of morse code)
Navigational Officer CWN Campagna...congratulations on recent deployment...note ...failure to achieve instructed directive will result in ill feeling towards you.....correction ...will result in everyone feeling ill... because they did not offer more support towards you and missed out on something very special ...Furthermore if not resolved you shall be subject to disciplinary action and the harshest penalties enforcable by the Porchenberg Navy......this may include but not limited to Transportation to a far flung Island in the Southern Oceans where the inhabitants drink only beer and strong whisky.....you will be made to laugh loudly at anything resembling seriousness...for a man of your calibre that would be a fate worse than death.....message ends...

Jeez Charlie thats doesnt sound good...better get on the phone ....:p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back