The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZCoyote

Basic Member
I'd second the vote for a lambsfoot knife! If we could find anyone that would make them for us, which doesn't sound like good odds based on Jack's comment.

I own a Benchmade proper and was not very impressed by it. The walk and talk was nothing to write home about and the knife turned me off from trying other modern traditionals until the 2020 BF knife which I love. I feel viper does a much better job at capturing the essence of the traditional knife while using modern technology. I feel that the proper is a little overpriced for the quality you get, but that is my personal opinion. Your milage may vary.

I'm also all in for Charlie's idea. I'd love to get a GEC BF knife. Here's hoping Charlie can work his magic!

Jack Black

Gold Member
I'd second the vote for a lambsfoot knife! If we could find anyone that would make them for us, which doesn't sound like good odds based on Jack's comment.

We can dream ;) :thumbsup:

AC60e3t.jpg

Will Power

Gold Member
If we ask GEC to do our BF "club" knife they might be amenable??!!
The 2019 Barehead Sailor's Rope Knife was pretty cool I thought!
What if they would do that nice big knife again, with a different blade, say . . . a wide, highly arched clip, easy to pinch??
Their grinds make good slicers, after you touch them up to your liking!:rolleyes:
A single blade is much more reasonably priced than a double!
The handle could be Jigged, or Ebony, IMO.
Maybe they could retail them through their store, with paid reservations!!
A different marketing procedure, but the margin would go toward keeping GEC healthy! I am willing to bring this up with them!!:cool:

If GEC will bite then it's another fine knife in the pipeline :cool:

But I must make some 'amendments ' ;):D

It ought to be a single SPEAR :cool: Stabber Jack! And bear in mind no Forum Knife has been a single Spear so far and the Clips already outweighs it. Osage would suit it too, or why not Smooth Ivory Bone? Always looks great and no Forum Knife in Smooth Bone as far as I recall.

Let's hope Bill H is in a jocular mood this Monday morning :)

t.willy

Gold Member
Bend yer backs
And Row me Lads...

Im liking the Canoe idea a lot....i prommus to keep the nautical references to an absolute minimum this year....:rolleyes:;):)....Now the tide be flowin ..Set yer black hearts to the task ahead ....If we keep us wits about us ...keep an ear to to the Helmsman....we will come back with rich bounty...HAVE I NOT PROMISED YE THIS BEFORE LADS?..
I say to hell with southerly gales and O'erboard with the naysayers!...Be ye Men O' The Porch??? or plastic wannabes?.....ooooh hang on ...message coming through from Porchenberg Fleet High Command....as follows:(sound of morse code)
Navigational Officer CWN Campagna...congratulations on recent deployment...note ...failure to achieve instructed directive will result in ill feeling towards you.....correction ...will result in everyone feeling ill... because they did not offer more support towards you and missed out on something very special ...Furthermore if not resolved you shall be subject to disciplinary action and the harshest penalties enforcable by the Porchenberg Navy......this may include but not limited to Transportation to a far flung Island in the Southern Oceans where the inhabitants drink only beer and strong whisky.....you will be made to laugh loudly at anything resembling seriousness...for a man of your calibre that would be a fate worse than death.....message ends...

Jeez Charlie thats doesnt sound good...better get on the phone ....:p:D
Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Gordon Lightfoot
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Good Morning Everyone!!
Well, I had the good luck of catching Bill in his GEC office space, instead of on the work floor this morning! He is three hours later than I, so GEC is humming along!
In his good, Monday mood this morning, he did not completely rule out a Forum knife this year!!:eek:
He did iterate that they are very busy, and aren't looking for more work, but he does like to do the Forum knife when he can!
I then asked if Joan Mae, his trusty office manager, might be interested in handling the customer sales, from their in-house Store, given the usual problem with our lack (so far) of a handling facility this year!
It's a time consuming, and costly task, as I have learned in the past, and indeed, Mike learned last year!!
Bill asked me to call him back in a week, at the end of his business day this time, and he would give us his response!!
So, we at least have a glimmer of hope from GEC. I suggest we continue trying for other avenues for our Knife, as this is a distance from a firm YES, but time will tell!:rolleyes:
We did not discuss a pattern. I just suggested he might offer an option or two, if he decides to do it!! Fingers crossed!!
I will, of course, report back next week!!

rcs86

Wanna be lawn master/duck hunter
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Good Morning Everyone!!
Well, I had the good luck of catching Bill in his GEC office space, instead of on the work floor this morning! He is three hours later than I, so GEC is humming along!
In his good, Monday mood this morning, he did not completely rule out a Forum knife this year!!:eek:
He did iterate that they are very busy, and aren't looking for more work, but he does like to do the Forum knife when he can!
I then asked if Joan Mae, his trusty office manager, might be interested in handling the customer sales, from their in-house Store, given the usual problem with our lack (so far) of a handling facility this year!
It's a time consuming, and costly task, as I have learned in the past, and indeed, Mike learned last year!!
Bill asked me to call him back in a week, at the end of his business day this time, and he would give us his response!!
So, we at least have a glimmer of hope from GEC. I suggest we continue trying for other avenues for our Knife, as this is a distance from a firm YES, but time will tell!:rolleyes:
We did not discuss a pattern. I just suggested he might offer an option or two, if he decides to do it!! Fingers crossed!!

I will definitely take that as good news! Charlie, thank you so much for contacting Bill!

Peregrin

Traditional Forum Moderator
Gold Member
Between your comments, and Giggling it, my question is answered!!:D

Dang predictive spelling! I'm gonna giggle that right now! ;):D

Good Morning Everyone!!
You da man, Charlie! No matter the outcome, your efforts and support are always greatly appreciated!

Ramrodmb

Gold Member
Good Morning Everyone!!

Thanks Charlie! You rock!
Mike found out the last 2 years in a row!;)

Thank you Charlie for reaching out for us. :cool::thumbsup:
And thank you Bill (GEC) for at least considering it. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ditto. Huge thanks to both!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sbh06

Gold Member
Good Morning Everyone!!
Thanks Charlie. The first step is usually the hardest and without you reaching out the answer was a firm no. This at least gives us a chance for the answer to be yes.

Quiet

"That guy"
Gold Member
Once again I'll make a case that, if at all possible, the Traditionals Forum knife should be something that is not readily available; that is, a pattern that is not currently offered by manufacturers. The original idea when this annual tradition was started was to have a run that would bring back a rarely seen pattern, and those have been the best of the knives we've sponsored/reintroduced to the hobby. The sales generated by our forum knife has in past years allowed companies like GEC and Queen to develop new patterns and made supplies of rarer examples available for everyday use. The Moose by Queen, and the Easy Open and pattern 13 Congress Jack by GEC are perfect examples of this; very hard to find in usable condition prior to the BF Annual, and then available (if only for a short while). All three of those examples engendered multiple additional sales, and variations on the pattern; which is good for the manufacturer as well as the collector.

Just putting different scales on a current production knife is boring.

I will also argue that we need to set a limit on the number of knives to be made. There are multiple reasons why this should be done, the two most important being 1. it allows a manufacturer to enter into the production talks with a production goal from the outset, and 2. for the collector it generates exclusivity. I understand the reasoning of those who feel everyone should have an opportunity to own a knife that shows them to be part of this forum, but the fact is it doesn't work. The last couple years have seen the size of the numbers increase greatly, with sales going to a large number of "members" who have rarely participated in the discussions that build the value of this website, and who having bought, fade once again. Sales made just to generate numbers of sales devalues the product and adds little to the hobby.

And this brings up the question of price.

I have argued for years now that trying to stay below $100 is a ridiculous limitation of both the possibility of finding a manufacturer and the idea that a set number of available knives will sell. Last years offering (thanks again to those who made it possible) proved this. We went well over the $100 mark, and we sold a larger than ever number of knives. I understand that price point may be difficult for some individuals. But I will also point out that the number of people who contribute regularly to this forum who do not spend that much annually on the hobby is so low as to be statistically nonexistent.

We would do more for our hobby to have a manufacture make a run of (for example) 100 pieces of a pattern such as the Farmers Jack at $200 each, than to have 400 Medium Stockman stamped BF Annual at $50 each.

I have supported the issuing of an Annual knife for over a decade, and will continue to do so. But I believe we need to add value to the idea; make it a little exclusive, unusual, and symbolic. And if a company like GEC won't step in to help a community that helped them get where they are today, let us look elsewhere; S&M, Albers, Cold Steel, Boker, Wi, a small custom maker, etc. I have trouble believing there's a cutlery manufacturer who won't accept a commission for $30,000+ in business.

Yeah, I'll just say it: this sounds an awful lot like the words of someone who wants another Bladeforums knife that jumps to $700 valuation on secondary like the BF #86 has so they'll make a big profit when they sell their extras they "got for a friend". Whenever I hear terminology like "for the collector it generates exclusivity", what I hear is, "I want to make sure I'm able to get paid when I sell these on secondary, and it's more important for me to have something to flex with that others couldn't get, than it is to just have a nice knife and be happy as a knife collector". Yeah, I don't respect that all, sorry. If I have completely mischaracterized you here, then I apologize, but that's how your entire post comes off.

The idea that we should have more expensive knives, with fewer people able to get them as a way of "helping the hobby" just really sounds like odious gatekeeping to me. Also, the Bladeforums knife wasn't supposed to be some ultra exclusive thing, it was supposed to be a knife that members could sign up to purchase and carry and enjoy, knowing the knife was a physical reminder of something they enjoy being a part of.

I am in for whatever the group decides, and will be purchasing one regardless of who makes it, and what features/design it ultimately entails. Then, I'll carry and use it, and not worry about the "exclusivity" of it. Hell, it would actually be pretty funny to have something like a Bladeforums Mora/Opinel/Buck 119, so that the collectors who like to flex on other people by owning things many people can't get, won't be able to do it with this year's knife because they sold 500+ of 'em. Similarily, the flippers on secondary won't be able to make a house payment, because no one in their right mind will pay hundreds of dollars in markup on an inexpensive knife. It's a win/win all around, for the REAL hobbyists, as far as I see it.

Last edited:

rcs86

Wanna be lawn master/duck hunter
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Yeah, I'll just say it: this sounds an awful lot like the words of someone who wants another Bladeforums knife that jumps to $700 valuation on secondary like the BF #86 has so they'll make a big profit when they sell their extras they "got for a friend". Whenever I hear terminology like "for the collector it generates exclusivity", what I hear is, "I want to make sure I'm able to get paid when I sell these on secondary, and it's more important for me to have something to flex with that others couldn't get, than it is to just have a nice knife and be happy as a knife collector". Yeah, I don't respect that all, sorry. If I have completely mischaracterized you here, then I apologize, but that's how your entire post comes off.

The idea that we should have more expensive knives, with fewer people able to get them as a way of "helping the hobby" just really sounds like odious gatekeeping to me. Also, the Bladeforums knife wasn't supposed to be some ultra exclusive thing, it was supposed to be a knife that members could sign up to purchase and carry and enjoy, knowing the knife was a physical reminder of something they enjoy being a part of.

I am in for whatever the group decides, and will be purchasing one regardless of who makes it, and what features/design it ultimately entails. Then, I'll carry and use it, and not worry about the "exclusivity" of it. Hell, it would actually be pretty funny to have something like a Bladeforums Mora/Opinel/Buck 119, so that the collectors who like to flex on other people by owning things many people can't get, won't be able to do it with this year's knife because they sold 500+ of 'em. Similarily, the flippers on secondary won't be able to make a house payment, because no one in their right mind will pay hundreds of dollars in markup on an inexpensive knife. It's a win/win all around, for the REAL hobbyists, as far as I see it.

You are right on it. I am all for having and enjoying hard to find knives, I enjoy the hunt. But the forum knife is not that! I never, never, never carry a fixed blade knife, but if that's what we landed on for the forum knife I would buy one. It's what it stand for- the comradery.

Lesknife

Platinum Member
Once again I'll make a case that, if at all possible, the Traditionals Forum knife should be something that is not readily available; that is, a pattern that is not currently offered by manufacturers. The original idea when this annual tradition was started was to have a run that would bring back a rarely seen pattern, and those have been the best of the knives we've sponsored/reintroduced to the hobby. The sales generated by our forum knife has in past years allowed companies like GEC and Queen to develop new patterns and made supplies of rarer examples available for everyday use. The Moose by Queen, and the Easy Open and pattern 13 Congress Jack by GEC are perfect examples of this; very hard to find in usable condition prior to the BF Annual, and then available (if only for a short while). All three of those examples engendered multiple additional sales, and variations on the pattern; which is good for the manufacturer as well as the collector.

Just putting different scales on a current production knife is boring.

I will also argue that we need to set a limit on the number of knives to be made. There are multiple reasons why this should be done, the two most important being 1. it allows a manufacturer to enter into the production talks with a production goal from the outset, and 2. for the collector it generates exclusivity. I understand the reasoning of those who feel everyone should have an opportunity to own a knife that shows them to be part of this forum, but the fact is it doesn't work. The last couple years have seen the size of the numbers increase greatly, with sales going to a large number of "members" who have rarely participated in the discussions that build the value of this website, and who having bought, fade once again. Sales made just to generate numbers of sales devalues the product and adds little to the hobby.

And this brings up the question of price.

I have argued for years now that trying to stay below $100 is a ridiculous limitation of both the possibility of finding a manufacturer and the idea that a set number of available knives will sell. Last years offering (thanks again to those who made it possible) proved this. We went well over the $100 mark, and we sold a larger than ever number of knives. I understand that price point may be difficult for some individuals. But I will also point out that the number of people who contribute regularly to this forum who do not spend that much annually on the hobby is so low as to be statistically nonexistent.

We would do more for our hobby to have a manufacture make a run of (for example) 100 pieces of a pattern such as the Farmers Jack at $200 each, than to have 400 Medium Stockman stamped BF Annual at $50 each.

I have supported the issuing of an Annual knife for over a decade, and will continue to do so. But I believe we need to add value to the idea; make it a little exclusive, unusual, and symbolic. And if a company like GEC won't step in to help a community that helped them get where they are today, let us look elsewhere; S&M, Albers, Cold Steel, Boker, Wi, a small custom maker, etc. I have trouble believing there's a cutlery manufacturer who won't accept a commission for $30,000+ in business.

So what’s the point of being a paying member and just enjoying a nice knife regardless of its exclusiveness? I’m sick of the high end crowd crowing about how much they can get and how many. These so called “ collectors “ have ruined it for a lot of knife enthusiasts and turned it into something it wasn’t intended to be, it’s supposed to be a club knife for crying out loud! Not some kind of exclusive award for the elite royals of knifedom.

Peregrin

Traditional Forum Moderator
Gold Member
Since there will be no elitism in this forum knife, we can quit discussing it. If everyone that wants one can't get one, it ain't gonna happen. That's my 2 cents.
If you want to speculate and discuss something that's not going to happen, do it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.