The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1522563
Hopefully Charlie will have a little luck in his conversation with GEC. OKCA was able to offer a 38 whittler as their club knife. Price was $125 + 10 for shipping (not bad for three blades). It was a small run though of just 100. Maybe we could run off this frame with a farmer jack, or just a single hawkbill blade?

A single hawkbill with natural scales? Could be a home run!

Good Morning Everyone!!
Well, I had the good luck of catching Bill in his GEC office space, instead of on the work floor this morning! He is three hours later than I, so GEC is humming along!
In his good, Monday mood this morning, he did not completely rule out a Forum knife this year!!:eek:
He did iterate that they are very busy, and aren't looking for more work, but he does like to do the Forum knife when he can!
I then asked if Joan Mae, his trusty office manager, might be interested in handling the customer sales, from their in-house Store, given the usual problem with our lack (so far) of a handling facility this year!
It's a time consuming, and costly task, as I have learned in the past, and indeed, Mike learned last year!!
Bill asked me to call him back in a week, at the end of his business day this time, and he would give us his response!!
So, we at least have a glimmer of hope from GEC. I suggest we continue trying for other avenues for our Knife, as this is a distance from a firm YES, but time will tell!:rolleyes:
We did not discuss a pattern. I just suggested he might offer an option or two, if he decides to do it!! Fingers crossed!!
I will, of course, report back next week!!

Man, thanks for reaching out for all of us. Yes or no, gives me something to be excited about the next few days.

And they're checking it twice.
They're gonna find out
Whos inflating the price.
(all together now)
The forum knife is comiing to town.

The water in Porchenberg harbour was a dull grey murky soup.
The Captain Neptune lolled at anchor but the ropes holding her to the quayside were slowly tightening as the tide brought her up straight.
A flock of Curmudgeons ( thank you @r8shell ) flapped past in the brightening dawn....their lazy wing beats keeping time with their plaintive and frankly irritating honking.
"If only they were good to eat " muttered the Bosun eyeing the birds and gazing through the pre dawn horizon.
" Theyre not bad if ye stew em up with some rocks ." Stated the Captain as he strode aboard.." You put in the pot with some cobblestones and when the stones is dissolved...Curmudgeon be a fine meal.".

Looks like your boat has come in Charlie waynorth waynorth ....I just recieved your orders from the Lord of the Porchenberg Admiralty.....as follows..
"To :Harbour Master John" Ironguts" Meakin..
Inform able seaman Charles Campagna that he is hereby promoted to the rank of Helmsman for the duration of this voyage...with compensatory remuneration as befits the position etc....I look forward to hearing that he accepts his doom...err ....fate..no...err...this important and vital role immediately without delay....yours etc...
L.O.T.A.P.N..
Hurrah and rums all round."

So that settles it I think.
Cheers..

Why do I have a mental image of a bulldog spinning a chocolate wheel....coming to a stop on a Benchmade Proper....and me as an unlucky cat saying
"not that...not the proper! Anything but that!...not the proper!!..IN THE NAME OF HUMANITY!!! NAAT THE PROPERRRRrrrrr..."

Bend yer backs
And Row me Lads...

Im liking the Canoe idea a lot....i prommus to keep the nautical references to an absolute minimum this year....:rolleyes:;):)....Now the tide be flowin ..Set yer black hearts to the task ahead ....If we keep us wits about us ...keep an ear to to the Helmsman....we will come back with rich bounty...HAVE I NOT PROMISED YE THIS BEFORE LADS?..
I say to hell with southerly gales and O'erboard with the naysayers!...Be ye Men O' The Porch??? or plastic wannabes?.....ooooh hang on ...message coming through from Porchenberg Fleet High Command....as follows:(sound of morse code)
Navigational Officer CWN Campagna...congratulations on recent deployment...note ...failure to achieve instructed directive will result in ill feeling towards you.....correction ...will result in everyone feeling ill... because they did not offer more support towards you and missed out on something very special ...Furthermore if not resolved you shall be subject to disciplinary action and the harshest penalties enforcable by the Porchenberg Navy......this may include but not limited to Transportation to a far flung Island in the Southern Oceans where the inhabitants drink only beer and strong whisky.....you will be made to laugh loudly at anything resembling seriousness...for a man of your calibre that would be a fate worse than death.....message ends...

Jeez Charlie thats doesnt sound good...better get on the phone ....:p:D

The Aquatic Chronicles of the Annual "BladeForums: Traditional Folders and Fixed Blade Forum" Knife continues. . .

One of the best parts of the annual discussion.

Good Morning Everyone!!
Well, I had the good luck of catching Bill in his GEC office space, instead of on the work floor this morning! He is three hours later than I, so GEC is humming along!
In his good, Monday mood this morning, he did not completely rule out a Forum knife this year!!:eek:
He did iterate that they are very busy, and aren't looking for more work, but he does like to do the Forum knife when he can!
I then asked if Joan Mae, his trusty office manager, might be interested in handling the customer sales, from their in-house Store, given the usual problem with our lack (so far) of a handling facility this year!
It's a time consuming, and costly task, as I have learned in the past, and indeed, Mike learned last year!!
Bill asked me to call him back in a week, at the end of his business day this time, and he would give us his response!!
So, we at least have a glimmer of hope from GEC. I suggest we continue trying for other avenues for our Knife, as this is a distance from a firm YES, but time will tell!:rolleyes:
We did not discuss a pattern. I just suggested he might offer an option or two, if he decides to do it!! Fingers crossed!!
Thank you, St. Charlie, patron saint of lovers of traditional knives. :thumbsup:

I have a thought that touches on Exclusivity, Flipping and Accessibility.
It's come to me after suggesting GEC "retails" the knife!!
Suppose we get Spark to OK this:
Have GEC make a great Knife; put on a "splashy' shield that says Bladeforums Annual Knife in bold letters, and limit sales to one per customer! No exceptions! We all pledge to pay only the going price!!
(It's only a knife!!)!!
Would that work, or create a Monster??:eek:

Have GEC make a great Knife; put on a "splashy' shield that says Bladeforums Annual Knife in bold letters, and limit sales to one per customer! No exceptions! We all pledge to pay only the going price!!
(It's only a knife!!)!!

Well done Charlie :thumbsup:

Folks seem to be referring to our knife as the Bladeforums Knife. That may be the case, but of course there was an annual Bladeforums Knife at one time. This is OUR knife, the Bladeforums Traditional sub-forum (AKA The Porch) knife. I make the distinction so that posters who wander in from elsewhere understand why it's (hopefully) a traditional pattern ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
(It's only a knife!!)!!

I'm not sure how the mods would vet each purchaser as they have in the past. Seemed to work very well with approx. a 1 or 2 percent 'being flipped' rate. Also, I would rather have just a regular shield and use our existing blade stamp to identify it. However, I will be happy with whatever we might end up with.
I have purchased 2 Forum knives each year the last 5 yrs and given my son one as a b-day gift each year but will make do with what's decided on.:thumbsup:

As someone who has yet to own a forum knife, and given there is a chance that GEC will be making it, I'm definitely in.

Flipping/Secondary market has gone crazy, and while I don't have an issue with the principle that "as long as someone is willing to pay for it," I feel sympathetic to the makers and distributors who don't get to earn what they deserve. I do see the trend that distributors are starting to mark up the price but the makers are still missing out...

Following up on what waynorth waynorth said, I'm okay with exclusivity (forum members) but hope GEC gets to charge a fair pricing for their business. I hate to hear anyone say, they barely stay afloat for creating an exclusive product in demand.

I hate 'flipping' anyway, but one of the issues for me, in relation to the forum knife, particularly in the past, is that a small number of folks put in a lot of hard work, on a totally voluntary basis, and because we clubbed together and pooled our buying resources, we got a knife 'we' wanted at a very fair price (mostly). So people have taken advantage of the goodwill here, and the hard work members from this forum have put in, just so they can make a personal profit. For me, that goes against everything the forum knife should represent, being a club knife for the best club in the world, and reflecting the spirit of kindness and sheer goodness that emanates from The Porch :thumbsup:

Well done Charlie :thumbsup:

Folks seem to be referring to our knife as the Bladeforums Knife. That may be the case, but of course there was an annual Bladeforums Knife at one time. This is OUR knife, the Bladeforums Traditional sub-forum (AKA The Porch) knife. I make the distinction so that posters who wander in from elsewhere understand why it's (hopefully) a traditional pattern ;) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack!
Bladeforums Traditional Knife works also! The idea is to shout something that means a lot to us, but means less to those who harbor greed!!:p

Good Morning Everyone!!
Oh yeah. It’s on. Charlie has planted the seed. I’m sure there is an idea already growing in Bill’s mind. :)

I hate 'flipping' anyway, but one of the issues for me, in relation to the forum knife, particularly in the past, is that a small number of folks put in a lot of hard work, on a totally voluntary basis, and because we clubbed together and pooled our buying resources, we got a knife 'we' wanted at a very fair price (mostly). So people have taken advantage of the goodwill here, and the hard work members from this forum have put in, just so they can make a personal profit. For me, that goes against everything the forum knife should represent, being a club knife for the best club in the world, and reflecting the spirit of kindness and sheer goodness that emanates from The Porch :thumbsup:
Best Captain Sir Pellew voice:
OH Do ye Sir? DoYe Indeed? Well you will be pleased to hear Mr Black that I have a task that will be to yer LIKING! Lay Aloft to the crows nest and watch for any flippers as we cross the Bay of Uncertainty . The waters here teem with sharks ,stingarees and slimy poisonous jelly blubbers...But mark me Sir! There is no creature in the world as loathsome and treacherous as the wily Flipper.
The rest of you layabouts stop lollygagging and tend the ship. We have a long and arduous week ahead whilst the Helmsman steers us across the Bay of Uncertainty before we can set sail. We must pass the Islands of Stupidity and avoid running aground on Preposterous Suggestion Reef...
This is well charted water and the horizon looks clear..

Thanks Jack!
Bladeforums Traditional Knife works also! The idea is to shout something that means a lot to us, but means less to those who harbor greed!!:p
HEY! I do the maritime references round here! :D:D:D:p
Good on you Charlie...whatever will be will be ...i think it was the philosopher Day who said that....personally I have a good feeling ...you have started the process in a very positive way ...and thats how we should go on..
Cheers....

Here's one more twist:

What if we just asked Bill Howard to provide a "Bill Howard Special" as the forum knife? I'm pretty sure he's only going to say "yes" if it is a knife that they can easily source the patterns, materials, etc. for and fits within their current production schedule. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what Bill Howard chose to give us as a forum of traditional knife nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back