Test ad

The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

abbydaddy

Gold Member
Let's hear it for Charlie! Thanks for giving us a chance at a knife that will make at least most of the crew of the good ship Porch willing to row in the same direction!

As far as limiting sales, I personally don't much care for the idea. I know that flippers are a thing, but I feel like I just avoid doing business with such folks. I like having the flexibility to buy extras if there is a pattern that I think would serve a particular friend well.

And as per usual, as much as I would love to see one of the perennial dream knives end up as the 2021 knife, like the <ahem> Whaler, punchnut, lambsfoot, or traditional fixed blade, I'll be happy with whatever gets done if we get a knife this year.

meako

Gold Member
Here's one more twist:

What if we just asked Bill Howard to provide a "Bill Howard Special" as the forum knife? I'm pretty sure he's only going to say "yes" if it is a knife that they can easily source the patterns, materials, etc. for and fits within their current production schedule. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what Bill Howard chose to give us as a forum of traditional knife nuts?
Possibly the best idea anyones ever had:thumbsup:

All this talk of COMBS ;)

There's only one COMBS worth talking about and it's one sharp COMBS too

Sean Combs :cool::D

iu
Run out the Plank if ye please Mr Power!
If we dont round Point Pointlessness and take a sounding off Brainless Head I fear we may wallow in the doldrums!!!...

bbfish

Basic Member
Here's one more twist:

What if we just asked Bill Howard to provide a "Bill Howard Special" as the forum knife? I'm pretty sure he's only going to say "yes" if it is a knife that they can easily source the patterns, materials, etc. for and fits within their current production schedule. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what Bill Howard chose to give us as a forum of traditional knife nuts?

That's probably the easiest way to do it. Its all fun to make suggestions of what pattern what we would like but I'd bet we'd only have a shot going with a pattern they were going to produce anyway. On top of that it seems like the most recent SFOs werent much different then the standard run, unlike us getting a big saber grind on the 86s.

LastRodeo

Platinum Member
I thought the goal of the Forum Knife polls was to come up with something that did/does please the majority?

Please don't be discouraged if someone stomps on your idea, that usually means it is a good and valid one. Bad or unpopular ideas usually die on the vine, if someone thinks your idea should be suppressed, it's probably because they think it might get alot of support and they want to prevent that from happening.

mbkr

Gold Member
Please don't be discouraged if someone stomps on your idea, that usually means it is a good and valid one. Bad or unpopular ideas usually die on the vine, if someone thinks your idea should be suppressed, it's probably because they think it might get alot of support and they want to prevent that from happening.
This is all too Machiavellian for me ;)

eisman

Gold Member
Bladeforums Traditional Knife works also!

Charlie, many thanks for going this far with involving GEC. That being said I would prefer to have the Stamp, and GEC should have it, over any other marking.

As for buying numbers I have always bought more than one, and have only sold one of those, and that to a member who did not get in early enough. I have traded a couple, and my brother in law carries on from a couple years back. Frankly I don't see flipping of the Forum knife to be a big deal. There's usually a few for sale right after the initial pieces start to arrive, but frankly getting ahold of an OKCA knife is harder.

Please, let's not have any gimmick blades! There are so many other good options available. And really, the knife should be a user. The best of our previous years choices all have been.

And just because no one else has said it (or perhaps I've missed it in among all the other posts) I'd suggest tortoise shell or MOP scales would be a nice change, and pretty exclusive at the same time.

eisman

Gold Member
Yeah, I'll just say it: this sounds an awful lot like the words of someone who wants another Bladeforums knife that jumps to $700 valuation on secondary like the BF #86 has so they'll make a big profit when they sell their extras they "got for a friend". Whenever I hear terminology like "for the collector it generates exclusivity", what I hear is, "I want to make sure I'm able to get paid when I sell these on secondary, and it's more important for me to have something to flex with that others couldn't get, than it is to just have a nice knife and be happy as a knife collector". Yeah, I don't respect that all, sorry. If I have completely mischaracterized you here, then I apologize, but that's how your entire post comes off.

Let's just put this back in context why don't we? The entire quote you seem to have issues with is, "I will also argue that we need to set a limit on the number of knives to be made. There are multiple reasons why this should be done, the two most important being 1. it allows a manufacturer to enter into the production talks with a production goal from the outset, and 2. for the collector it generates exclusivity."

The simple fact of the matter is that we need to set a number. It's impossible to expect any manufacturer to offer to make an unknown amount of product at a set cost. If you take a really good look at what happened last year you'll see Mike had to commit to buy 300 knives to get any of them made, and for a while it looked like he wouldn't be able to meet those numbers in sales. This has been something that's a pretty damn simple issue that people on this forum seem to forget or ignore every year.

At no point have I suggested what the number should be. But again, people seem to think I'm arguing we should only make 100 when I wrote "We would do more for our hobby to have a manufacture make a run of (for example) 100 pieces of a pattern such as the Farmers Jack at $200 each, than to have 400 Medium Stockman stamped BF Annual at $50 each."

Think about it. Did I say we should only make 100? I did not. In context this was to point out that we do more for the hobby by having a run of a pattern that's not common than we do to settle for another fairly common pattern. I hold to this. As I pointed out by having a hard to find pattern manufactured we have, in fact, shown manufacturers (like GEC) that they could sell more knives in those patterns, and they did so. Let me repeat that; by introducing a run of hard to find pattern knives we increase the number of knives in such patterns that are available. That helps the hobby.

Now here's another rather basic concept; no matter how many we decide on it's going to be exclusive. Because whether the number is one or 1,000 it's got a limit. And like it or not, some people will buy just because of that simple fact. That's not elitism; nowhere has it been said, "you can't buy one because...".

Now I've been characterized as someone who's looking to profit from the sales of the Traditional Annual Knives, and frankly that pisses me off. Feel free to look and see how many of them I've bought and sold. In fact I've given them away (on this forum), I've sold one (at cost to an old time member of this forum), I've offered to sell another (to waynorth, who was looking for one), and I've traded one (for an SFO to another member who missed out on the annual sale). That's the extent of my "profiteering" in 14 years of supporting this annual project.

In my opinion by promoting the return of old pattern knives we're actually making a contribution to the hobby. Likewise, I think those who don't really care just so long as it's stamped with a logo (and from, let's not forget, a limited run) are just out for themselves.

Quiet

"That guy"
Gold Member
Let's just put this back in context why don't we? The entire quote you seem to have issues with is, "I will also argue that we need to set a limit on the number of knives to be made. There are multiple reasons why this should be done, the two most important being 1. it allows a manufacturer to enter into the production talks with a production goal from the outset, and 2. for the collector it generates exclusivity."

The simple fact of the matter is that we need to set a number. It's impossible to expect any manufacturer to offer to make an unknown amount of product at a set cost. If you take a really good look at what happened last year you'll see Mike had to commit to buy 300 knives to get any of them made, and for a while it looked like he wouldn't be able to meet those numbers in sales. This has been something that's a pretty damn simple issue that people on this forum seem to forget or ignore every year.

At no point have I suggested what the number should be. But again, people seem to think I'm arguing we should only make 100 when I wrote "We would do more for our hobby to have a manufacture make a run of (for example) 100 pieces of a pattern such as the Farmers Jack at $200 each, than to have 400 Medium Stockman stamped BF Annual at $50 each."

Think about it. Did I say we should only make 100? I did not. In context this was to point out that we do more for the hobby by having a run of a pattern that's not common than we do to settle for another fairly common pattern. I hold to this. As I pointed out by having a hard to find pattern manufactured we have, in fact, shown manufacturers (like GEC) that they could sell more knives in those patterns, and they did so. Let me repeat that; by introducing a run of hard to find pattern knives we increase the number of knives in such patterns that are available. That helps the hobby.

Now here's another rather basic concept; no matter how many we decide on it's going to be exclusive. Because whether the number is one or 1,000 it's got a limit. And like it or not, some people will buy just because of that simple fact. That's not elitism; nowhere has it been said, "you can't buy one because...".

Now I've been characterized as someone who's looking to profit from the sales of the Traditional Annual Knives, and frankly that pisses me off. Feel free to look and see how many of them I've bought and sold. In fact I've given them away (on this forum), I've sold one (at cost to an old time member of this forum), I've offered to sell another (to waynorth, who was looking for one), and I've traded one (for an SFO to another member who missed out on the annual sale). That's the extent of my "profiteering" in 14 years of supporting this annual project.

In my opinion by promoting the return of old pattern knives we're actually making a contribution to the hobby. Likewise, I think those who don't really care just so long as it's stamped with a logo (and from, let's not forget, a limited run) are just out for themselves.

Sorry, this entire post still reeks of elitism, and thankfully, that's all been shot down by the moderator for this section and a ton of other folks. I DID find it amusing that you attempted to gaslight people with that last sentence though, because it shows that you're exactly what I figured, and this time I don't apologize. If people just want a simple knife with the Bladeforums logo, so what? Where's the harm?

Ah, right: a simple knife with the Bladeforums logo, while it will make fans of this forum smile and bring enjoyment, it won't bring the "exclusivity" and secondary market that fli...sorry, "collectors" and people who like to flex, crave. Anyway, why don't you let GEC and other companies worry about "making a contribution" to the hobby. Seems to me they are bringing in more fans every day.

Also, I totally agree, yes let's DO put this back into context. You said:

I will also argue that we need to set a limit on the number of knives to be made. There are multiple reasons why this should be done, the two most important being 1. it allows a manufacturer to enter into the production talks with a production goal from the outset, and 2. for the collector it generates exclusivity. I understand the reasoning of those who feel everyone should have an opportunity to own a knife that shows them to be part of this forum, but the fact is it doesn't work.

That is gatekeeping. There is NO reason why there should be limits imposed on the number of Bladeforums knives that are produced. If a maker is decided on for the 2021 Bladeforums knife, there is no logical reason that number should be some strict number. If 600 are asked for, let that maker generate 600 of 'em. If a bunch of people back out, then maybe they should go on a list, I don't know, I'm not in charge and am not the one to make that call.

Sales made just to generate numbers of sales devalues the product and adds little to the hobby.

What a ridiculous assertion. You sure like to talk about "value" a lot for someone who is doing his best to portray himself as just looking out for the hobby, and all of our best interests. I'm a GEC collector and you sure don't speak for me. Having sold or given away knives (heh, name a long term guy here who hasn't done that. I've done it, thanks.) doesn't make you an authority on what does or doesn't constitute "value" to this hobby, or to the "collectors".

Everyone else, I apologize for the static in this response. I'm just not letting someone who clearly doesn't want a bunch of you having a Bladeforums knife (and who doesn't want it to be something that won't generate a profit) try to gaslight me. I'll put a stop to THAT garbage any time it's tried.

Frankly I don't see flipping of the Forum knife to be a big deal.

Quoted for posterity. :)

Last edited:

Quiet

"That guy"
Gold Member
Moving along to topic relevant discussion: if GEC is able to fit us in, I'd imagine it will be like other times where we'll receive a modification on a pattern that's already in the queue. Anyone know what's coming after the 38s?