The Watches CRK People Wear...

Yes they tell time, and they do so with inferior time-keeping to both quartz and cell phones (and by extension smartwatches, which get their time from the phone, which gets it from GPS, which is much more accurate than anything else), at a much higher cost.

It's fine if people want to own them, but let's call them what they are in the modern world - man jewelry.

I don't carry a watch or phone. I can tell you the time within 10 minutes. You don't really need a watch. Even if you need to be "exactly" on time, there are plenty of clocks still around.

Watches are a lot more than jewelry, for many they are a source of comfort and an psychological "anchor." Same with cell phones and maybe even knives :)

I don't carry a watch or phone. I can tell you the time within 10 minutes. You don't really need a watch. Even if you need to be "exactly" on time, there are plenty of clocks still around.

Watches are a lot more than jewelry, for many they are a source of comfort and an psychological "anchor." Same with cell phones and maybe even knives :)

I consider mine more of a tool. The rotating bezel is used the most for reminding me when I need to reset the timer on my tempering cycle since the toaster oven only has a one hour maximum.

Yeah. Bosses really like to hear excuses about why you are late to an important meeting because you don't need a watch and were already late by the time you came across a clock.

I wear a smartwatch (Moto 360). A regular automatic or quartz watch that does nothing but tell time doesn't make much sense in a world of cell phones.

Why would I want to take my phone out and open it to see the time when I can just glance at my wrist?

Yes they tell time, and they do so with inferior time-keeping to both quartz and cell phones (and by extension smartwatches, which get their time from the phone, which gets it from GPS, which is much more accurate than anything else), at a much higher cost.

It's fine if people want to own them, but let's call them what they are in the modern world - man jewelry.

What is the wearer isn't a man? :rolleyes:

Why would I want to take my phone out and open it to see the time when I can just glance at my wrist?
Why, so you could be a highly efficient person that understands her needs so, so well, that you collect cutting utensils instead of useless watches of course. I mean, I really do NEED a knife on me at all times, and an expensive one at that...

If you (not you LW) don't wear a watch or think it's unnecessary, start a thread about it elsewhere. This is about CRK users and what they wear and enjoy, not what they don't.

Why, so you could be a highly efficient person that understands her needs so, so well, that you collect cutting utensils instead of useless watches of course.................

I just collect both! :p :D

That's fine for people that waft about all day with nothing to do. If you run a business or have anything actually going on in your life it's good to know the time when you need to know the time, and for a number of reasons. You feel you don't need a watch, that's fine. Don't tell me or anyone what we need and don't. If I didn't wear a watch I would already be working in a new line of work having been fired long ago for living on "island time". I do need a watch. :)
You always try to put a negative spin on everything and there is just no need. Why would anyone who has no interest and doesn't even wear a watch come into a watch thread and tell people they don't need a watch and it's just a blingy emotional anchor anyway ? Ah, yea that's right......

If we got rid of everything we didn't need, all we'd have left is water, food, and shelter.

I consider mine more of a tool. The rotating bezel is used the most for reminding me when I need to reset the timer on my tempering cycle since the toaster oven only has a one hour maximum.

I use the rotating bezel on my diver to mark time constantly. One of my favorite features. I also keep it at 11 when not in use because of some memories related to that time.

I used the triangle mark on my bezel to simulate a 12 o'clock position while I was in Iraq to represent the time in California. Mom was always happy when I called, but slightly more grumpy when it was at 3AM.

5f7968605219eb39e101b6536b299b30.jpg

That's fine for people that waft about all day with nothing to do. If you run a business or have anything actually going on in your life it's good to know the time when you need to know the time, and for a number of reasons. You feel you don't need a watch, that's fine. Don't tell me or anyone what we need and don't. If I didn't wear a watch I would already be working in a new line of work having been fired long ago for living on "island time". I do need a watch. :)
You always try to put a negative spin on everything and there is just no need. Why would anyone who has no interest and doesn't even wear a watch come into a watch thread and tell people they don't need a watch and it's just a blingy emotional anchor anyway ? Ah, yea that's right......

Whoa, you sure misunderstood me...but hey that's the internet. :)

Maybe if I make it simpler. I was responding to the quoted portion and my intent was not to be negative, but to indicate watches are more than "man jewelry" and more than just a "time piece." I don't view that as a bad thing. Watches are like knives.

Maybe you need to be on "island time" :) I however work an 8-5 and somehow get places on time w/o a watch...go figure.

Nope, but I CAN by setting it on its charging pad at night. ;)

I don't mean to come off like an asshole. Reading my own posts I see how it could be interpreted that way. Just a bit defensive for what seemed like an attack on my OWN choice, I guess. There are some very nice automatic watches. It's just, I guess when I make a purchase, first thing that comes to mind is utility, and even the best automatics lose time pretty quickly.

You were defensive after you came into a watch thread and then trashed the idea of owning a watch? Then you proceed to say you feel sickened by what other people choose to spend their hard earned (or even lazily inherited) money on? It must be horrible to be you with those feelings, there are people who can help you with that.

Back on topic:

This Rodana should be arriving anytime now, nothing fancy but my first swiss made automatic:

$_57.JPG

Plan is to polish it up and see how it runs, guessing its going to need a service at least.

You were defensive after you came into a watch thread and then trashed the idea of owning a watch? Then you proceed to say you feel sickened by what other people choose to spend their hard earned (or even lazily inherited) money on? It must be horrible to be you with those feelings, there are people who can help you with that.

Back on topic:

This Rodana should be arriving anytime now, nothing fancy but my first swiss made automatic:

$_57.JPG

Plan is to polish it up and see how it runs, guessing its going to need a service at least.
Wow, you really showed me. Feel better?

Back