Time for our first Bladeforums giveaway!! Who's with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giveaway Entry

Worst knife I've ever bought was the Kabar Hobo (pictured below). I was thinking it might be a handy addition to my camp bag. I liked how it could come apart into three separate utensils. When I actually ordered one, though, I saw a red-handled one and opted for that, not realizing that version did NOT come apart (my fault for not checking). On top of that, the blade is nearly impossible to open safely. Using the pull rating of traditionals, I'd say it's about a 20 out of 10. It's even pretty difficult to force open using pliers. The fork, spoon, and bottle opener aren't as bad, but that blade makes even my stiffer GEC's feel like a detent-less blade on bearings.

KaBar_Hobo_800x348.jpg

Thanks for the giveaway!

Giveaway Entry

Worst knife I ever bought: Cheap hollow handle 'survival' knife with a compass on the end. I imagine I'm not the only person on BladeForums that had one of these at one time. I'm surprised I didn't injure myself with this cheap piece of crap.

Reason I bought it: I was probably about 12 years old and thought it was cool. I was in the larval stage of being a 'knife knut'. :p

r1IGPYl.png

Giveaway Entry:

Worst knife I ever bought:
Benchmade mini griptilian - I figured every man should have a knife.

It was actually the first knife I ever purchased and the reason its the worst knife is because it started me on this hobby/addiction :)

This is the worst knife I ever bought......

BPv0wYj.jpg

a little cheap boot knife.....POS
I was a kid and thought it was cool......lol
How I have kept it all these years with all the good Buck Knives I have lost I have no idea!!!

Do not even have the sheath any more.

Thanks for the chance at this giveaway!!

Giveaway Entry:
And thanks for the opportunity.

Dumbest thing I've ever done with a knife had to be when I went ice fishing with my dad about 35 years ago. We were out for a full day of fishing, so my father brought along his propane gas stove...he figured he could heat up some soup or coffee or whatnot, and I figured I could make grilled cheese sandwiches on it out of the cold cheese sandwiches I'd brought along for the days feast. Well, long story somewhat shorter, I had no way of keeping the sandwich out of the flames of the stove, as the wire guards that were covering the burner were way to close to the flame, and would burn my sandwiches. Quick thinking on my part made me remember my fillet knife I'd brought along just in case we wanted to try cooking some fresh fish over the stove. So I ran the blade through the sandwich and held it over the stove, making one delicious looking grilled cheese. Well, when I took the knife back out of the sandwich when it was done, there was a lot melted cheese left on the blade that I was not going to waste...so I proceeded to very carefully slide that blade into my mouth so I could extract the cheesy goodness from it. Let me tell you, cheese melted over a gas burner is dang hot, and I ended up burning not only my tongue, but both lips when it touched them. So, to eliminate the pain, I quickly pulled the knife out of my mouth, and cut the hell out of the corner of my mouth while doing it.

Yeah, I'm a genius...but keep in mind I was only about 15 at the time, so I believe I am now the proud owner of the dumbest knife story posted here so far, and in doing so, you should choose my name for the winner just because you feel sorry for me:D

Giveaway Entry

The worst knife I've ever purchased, right here.
0n2LYQBDgb5oj8pnrDNoRk87kpXp3PNOyolbN4p4VfQC=w360-h204-no

I think I was like 12 or something at boy scout camp, and they were selling this for $10. The inlays were just printed on, and the coating is just black paint as you can see. But it had a liner lock, so therefore it was cool and I bought it.

Giveaway Entry! Dumbest thing I have ever done with a knife...

A few friends and I left our cars outside of a county park and decided to walk down to the lake very late at night (hours after the park had closed). We wandered to the docks where the park keeps rental boats tied up. They were attached to the dock with a wire cable that had individual locks. Well, my friends and I decided that it would be a great idea to take some paddle boats out on the lake in the moonlight. We used my friends SAK and my Gerber Evo to pick/break a lock or two. We managed to get a pair of boats free but both knives fell into the water. I suppose it was karma since we were up to teenage shenanigans. Went out on the lake anyway, and since we weren't total delinquents we tied the boats back up afterwards.

Giveaway entry! This is a two for one! The stupidest thing I've ever done with a knife was put a Kershaw D2 outcast in its sheath upside down, then forget about it, then hold the open part of the sheath when trying to get it unstuck. The knife released suddenly and went right through my thumb. 7 stitches and my right thumb has no feeling. On the same camp out, about 45 minutes later my buddy was using my gerber para frame to De limb bamboo, and cut HIS thumb open when the stop pin broke. He got 6 stitches. There us go. Stupidest thing I've ever done with Annie and worst knife I've ever known. All on the same day.

Giveaway Entry

This one's pretty easy for the dumbest thing ever.

There was a kid that was in high school with my two older kids that was pretty down on his luck. His parents had split, and as is the case many times, he was the loser in the deal. He just seemed down all the time, but it wasn't for lack of effort. He was a hard working kid that tried hard. We had him down home often, and we had become his second home. He was interested in guns and shooting, and I shared with him what I knew, and he and my son shot off the deck behind our home a lot.

When he graduated from high school, he was without a plan. He just kind of wondered around for a year or two, and one day he stopped by to share some exciting news. He'd joined the Navy, and they had assured him he'd have a shot at the SEAL program after boot camp, and his enthusiasm was palpable. He couldn't wait to go, and stopped by often before his departure.

One day, I decided something good should happen to him. I gave him my Sebenza. I told him that if he took care of it, it would take care of him. He proudly stuck it in his pocket and drove away.

The next day, he packed his modest bag and headed to the airport. He got in line, threw his carry on on the conveyer, and walked through the metal detector. As he got to the other side, the TSA greeted him, took his new Sebenza from his pocket, and threw it away.

Yep, in the junk bin, with the rest of the confiscated crap. I effectively, threw away a Sebenza.

Never, ever, again......

Giveaway Entry.

Thank you for the chance!

Dumbest thing I've done with a knife involves proper prior planning:
I came home from work one day and realized I had not purchased a gift for my son's birthday. He had told me numerous times that he really, really liked my favorite knife, which "was" a BM 940. So having no other gift, I wrapped it up for him. He opened the box and tears rolled down his cheeks he was so happy. Since then, I have tried to trade him numerous other knives from my collection to get it back, but he just grins at me and says he can't trade because his father gave it to him. So here I sit 940-less. When I spotted this GAW I thought, could it possibly happen that I could win and have a 940 again? Stay tuned...

Giveaway entry.

Worst knife purchase: Gerber Chameleon. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I was a young teenager. I think I may have used it once after I bought it, and then it sat in my drawer until I finally threw it in the trash some years later!

f_73475_1.1.jpg

Giveaway Entry:
Thanks for giving away such an awesome knife
The dumbest thing I ever did with a knife( Buck Bantam) is playing with it while driving. And I was driving stick at the time. Lets just say that when I came to my destination I had a very bad cut and now now have a cool scare. One bright side of the story was it forced me to shoot left handed for about a month, so now I can shoot with both hands.

Giveaway Entry. That's an awesome knife. I have always admired the 940 and that one is way better than any I've ever seen!

My worst knfie I ever bought was a carbon fiber Native 5 (I think it was a 5). I had wanted this knife for years and finally got one only to find out it had a very bent blade. I sent it into Spyderco twice and both times they claimed the blade was either not bent or was within their manufacturing tolerances... The blade was resting on the scale when closed and would scuff against the scale upon opening. I argued with them until I found out that they just didn't have any blades left in stock and therefore didn't want anything to do with helping me. This experience really turned me off to Spyderco...

I sent them this picture showing the off center blade (sitting on top of the paper Spyderco sent me that said the blade was straight):

They asked I send it in a second time but quickly sent it back saying the blade was not bent...
I showed them it was by placing the blade on a each side of a:

It was after getting it back the second time that they said Sorry, we just don't have any more blades, have a great day!

Giveaway Entry. Thanks for the generous gesture. The worse knife that I have ever owned was an imperial jackknife. The blades are so thin and brittle on those things that they break from even gentle use. You have to milk them so much.. I would never buy another. Just my own opinion. ;)
LegitimuscollinsmacheteWWIIBF019_zps96470cd5.jpg

Giveaway Entry.

Worst knife I've ever bought was a Rough Rider Whittler. I wanted to try a whittler pattern, and thought that this would be a cheap way to find out if I liked them. The blades rubbed so bad that you couldn't properly open or close the knife, one of the scales fell off, and the design was very clunky so even if it functioned properly it wouldn't have given me an idea of what carrying a whittler is like. Luckily it didn't cost me much, because it was a complete waste of money.

Giveaway Entry:
I had just started working in a meat market, hadn't been back there a month at the point. Had one customer come up after I taken apart the saw wanting a whole chicken cut up. Of all the ones in the counter she grabbed one that the market manager had put back out after finding it in the freezer section. Thing was frozen solid all the way through, making it a pain to cut up. Since we don't have a cleaver, because of company policy, took a 10" Victorinox forschner scimitar and had to hack at it. Took a bit to split the breast and separate the back from the breast, if it wasn't for cut resistant gloves probably have a messed up thumb. Since then decided to take the time to put the saw back together if a customer finds or brings back a frozen whole chicken they want cut up, and respect the knives I work with a lot more.

Giveaway Entry
After a long day of shopping in town. I returned home to put the grocery's away finding that my wife had tied all the bags closed. At this pointy I was tired and frustrated so I decided to start cutting them open with my Gerber Applegate probably should have moved my thumb first Blood all over the grocery's. Was feeling pretty dumb after that one.

Giveaway Entry:
Worst knife purchase I ever made was a Smith & Wesson combo set. It came with a hunting knife and a hatchet. All I ever did with it was take the hatchet out, mess with the blade and cut myself. It has been in my closet ever since.

Giveaway entry

When I was 12 I accidentally brought a folding knife to school(I panicked) so I buried it in the ground, thinking it was a good idea. Anyway it rained that night and I came back in a couple of days and it was practically ruined rusted and full of dirt. Man I felt stupid!

(Ps this is my second post as a user)

Giveaway Entry

Worst knife I ever bought was a butterfly knife from China on eBay for like $10. It was the first knife I ever bought. Needless to say, it broke the 1st time I used it. The skull design looked cool thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back