Traditional Forum thanks

Thank you for the chance at this! And for a chance to post something meaningful.

If there is one person in this world I truly miss it is my grandfather. I have such wonderful memories of him taking my brothers and I fishing, hunting, or just riding around town in his pickup. He taught me more about knives than anyone I know and probably more about life as well. I was able to spend a lot of time with him in his last few years. The last time I ever saw him, I was sitting at the foot of his bed talking about hunting rabbits when he reached over and handed me his pocket watch. As long as I can remember he carried this pocket watch with him and he wanted me to have it. I was leaving two days later for a new job in Washington DC and he wanted me to wear it with my suit. He also handed me the Case muskrat you see in the picture. I had used that knife so many times in the past when he was teaching me to skin a rabbit, coon, catfish, etc. I was a little overwhelmed in the moment. Imagine how I felt when he passed away a week later? The last time I ever saw my grandfather he passed down two of his amazing EDC items to me. The pocket watch still works and I wear it with my suit. I don't use the muskrat because I'd rather keep it for the stories. It still has lines on the steel from where my grandfather sharpened it.

The other item in the pic is my zippo. I bought it a week after getting out of bootcamp. I thought I was going to take up smoking and be cool like the other sailors. About halfway in to my first pack of smokes I ended up throwing them away. I couldn't hack it as a smoker, but I kept the zippo and now I carry it with me everyday. It reminds me of those days out on the ocean, salt in the air and the sun beating down. Good times!

Anyways, thanks again for the chance at this blade and an opportunity to share a story and a pic!

[/IMG]

Kris I want to thank you for being here on the porch. I always enjoy so much seeing your wonderful collection. I also love to see the photos of your wonderful 4 legged friends. I also am a dog lover and they always hold a special spot in my heart. Another thing that I always enjoy is when you post some photos of the magnificent scenery that abounds in your part of the country. I have won more than my fair share of GAW's here on the traditional forum. With that being said, that is truly a special Lanny that you are so graciously giving away and I would truly be proud to have it in my collection. Here is my entry. It is a photo of a beautiful sunrise on Jekyll Island Georgia. It was taken from the balcony of the hotel where my family always stays when we vacation there. What makes this sunrise so special to me is because this was the 1st family vacation Pam, my daughter Melissa and I had taken together after Pam and I were married. It will always be a special place to me.

25732147424_9ebd921e28_b.jpg

MT, thanks for a great giveaway, and for the chance.

Family are most prized by me. Here's a pic of a film photo of my youngest daughter when we brought her home from the hospital. We had a bunch of flowers at home, and put her in the middle.

image_zpsrn5wxyxz.jpeg

Thank Kris for all that have given in making this a great place. Pm incoming.

Most generous gift

e33b7619cf3828255f1f83c178defe15.jpg

First, thanks for the opportunity. The Lanny's Clip is my favorite pattern and my current grail. Second, these are two important things. The first is my Northwoods Presidential which was given to me by my parents for my birthday (April 17th, closer and closer to 30 I inch). The second is very important and personal to me. My grandfather passed away about a year ago and my grandmother gave me is Marlin 93A Mountie from the early 1970s. It is, without a doubt, my favorite birthday present ever.

Again, thanks for the amazing opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the chance in this very generous giveaway!

This is my cat. I've had her for almost 5 years now. She's a part of the family.

cattt.jpg

And this is my Queen mini trapper I got in 2011. It's been with me through a lot.

mini%20trapper.jpg

- lovely idea, lovely sentiment.........and generous to say the least.

I was born/brought up in Kenya. My Mum & Dad met in Mombasa (where I was born) and just a few weeks ago I returned to the beaches where they used to frolic and I was possibly 'made'.

Fulfilling a promise, I swam out on an outgoing tide and let my Mum's ashes go in the clear crystal waters. She passed 18months ago, so it was actually painless and a pleasure to do......she would've liked that.

It made my day in a big way.

Watamu%2001.jpg

Not an entry Kris. I just wanted to say, very generous give away of the highest order that makes this forum special.
Good luck everyone. Some really nice entries. :thumbup:

Much thanks to everyone who shared, I really appreciate it. It is nice to see folks as people and not just a screen name. We ran a pseudo number generator(my wife is a mathematician and says there is nothing random about it), and the winner is Cory Hess post #11, congrats Corey, shoot me a pm with your address and I will get it out Priority Mail tomorrow. Thanks again for all the participation, it was really wonderful to read and see a glimpse into the fine folks who hang out here.

Kris

Congrats, Cory!

And thanks again Kris for a great GAW. Good to see all the special things in people's lives!

Hey Corey, congrats man! Maybe in the next camping picture, let your little girl on the right hold it. It should bring a smile to her face even if it's raining!

Kris, thanks for the chance bud. It's been great talking with you lately, you've helped me a lot and are a wealth of info man. It's very much appreciated.

I feel like we have all won a bit here (yeah corny I know but I'm sincere). We got to hear stories of each other's personal moments and lives, and how we have learned and appreciated them. Congrats Corey, and thank you Kris!

Connor

Kris,
thank you again for your generosity, and congrats to Cory for the lucky win.
Wonderful knife, wonderful gesture, and wonderful thread for sure :)

Fausto
:cool:

Great GAW, Kris! Thanks for all that you bring to the forum. Your generosity and goodwill are appreciated.
Congrats to Cory! Doc Hagen makes a really nice knife!
It's awesome to see so many great posts!

Last edited:
I am blown away right now. Thank you so much, Kris. This will be my first custom slipjoint. I rarely enter giveaways anymore, and I never really expected to win this one. I don't know what else to say, but thank you so much.

It was a pleasure reading everyone's posts, but something about Cory's really touched me, brought back some great memories of kids, camping, rainouts, and making the best of the worst situations. Memories are made from those times. Congratulations Cory!

Congrats Cory! I bet your kids won't ever forget that camping trip.:thumbup:
Thanks again Kris for helping make this the best place on the Internet. :thumbup:

Always appreciate the chance... There are a lot of kind souls around this forum :thumbup:

Back