Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Is that a Lipseys 44 Special flat-up? I notice it is a two-pin instead of three-screw. And those cartridges look a little short and fat.
Not exactly. It wasn't part of the Lipsey's run, but was one of the ones that Ruger made right after. Yes, in caliber 44 Special. I added a stainless XR3-RED grip frame. I've carried it daily for close to three years now.

Here's an article I wrote on it a while back. https://levergunner.com/sixguns/my-...n-sixgun-rugers-flattop-blackhawk-44-special/

Not exactly. It wasn't part of the Lipsey's run, but was one of the ones that Ruger made right after. Yes, in caliber 44 Special. I added a stainless XR3-RED grip frame. I've carried it daily for close to three years now.

Here's an article I wrote on it a while back. https://levergunner.com/sixguns/my-...n-sixgun-rugers-flattop-blackhawk-44-special/
Nice.
I jumped the gun (no pun intended) and got one of the anniversary flattops in .357. I decided I wanted it converted to 44 Special. This was even before Lipseys had their special run. I had David Clements convert it. So I guess I'm one of those customizers that you talk about in the article. Cool article!
It is a really nice shooter. It has the original grip frame, but the original grip frame for the anniversary .357 was steel (which you already knew, after reading your article). It pretty much fits my hand perfectly. I've got a couple of the Simply Rugged holsters, too (although not pancake), but they're jsut for a couple of Ruger double-actions I have. Single-actions are carried in Tom Threepersons holsters from El Paso Saddlery.

Last edited:
Nice.
I jumped the gun (no pun intended) and got one of the anniversary flattops in .357. I decided I wanted it converted to 44 Special. This was even before Lipseys had their special run. I had David Clements convert it. So I guess I'm one of those customizers that you talk about in the article. Cool article!
It is a really nice shooter. It has the original grip frame, but the original grip frame for the anniversary .357 was steel (which you already knew, after reading your article). It pretty much fits my hand perfectly. I've got a couple of the Simply Rugged holsters, too (although not pancake), but they're jsut for a couple of Ruger double-actions I have. Single-actions are carried in Tom Threepersons holsters from El Paso Saddlery.
Thanks. The XR3 grip frame is just a tad small for me, making my hand feel bunched. Otherwise I wouldn't have changed it - I considered putting up with just to use the Elk stag grips that was on it when I purchased the gun. But as much as I loved the grips, I just couldn't agree with the size of the grip frame.

Buck 307 Wrangler and Model 12 chambered for 16 gauge (and rabbits)! OH

Winchester-M-12-16-Ga-Rabbit-hunt.jpg

Buck 307 Wrangler and Model 12 chambered for 16 gauge (and rabbits)! OH

Winchester-M-12-16-Ga-Rabbit-hunt.jpg
Do you eat the Rabbits? In much of Europe it's widely eaten and reared as commercial meat, can be very tasty too with garlic/thyme cooked in olive-oil . Here in Scandiland we don't really have Rabbits - some domestics have escaped and made short lived colonies in the south but the ferocious winter usually wipes out the poor diggers (ground too frozen as well) We do have 2 types of Hare though, the Arctic whose coat goes snow white and the Brown Hare whose coat gets camo lighter, they are very big sizes too, the meat is good but very strong & gamey unlike Rabbit. They look alike but they're not, Hares live above ground and the young Leverets are 2 or 3 at most, but born with fur and eyes open, ready to run! Many are in urban and suburban zones and 2 winters ago they destroyed my young Apple orchard which I foolishly thought were big enough to leave unwired. 10 years wiped out in a couple of nights of chewing !!

In town at an apartment block

HKZLnCS.jpg

Last edited:
IMG-1112.jpg
This one’s for JM2 JM2 . While I don’t carry a Ruger single action daily I do have a fondness for them as a woods gun. These are pictured with Dad’s old Western. The story he told me was he bought it when he was 15 working for a farmer castrating calves or pigs, can’t quite remember. The farmer said it was too sharp and he didn’t want him cutting deeper than needed so he took it from Dad and dulled the edge a bit. Getting something cut off with a dull knife doesn’t sound pleasant but that’s how Dad told it🤨

Do you eat the Rabbits? In much of Europe it's widely eaten and reared as commercial meat, can be very tasty too with garlic/thyme cooked in olive-oil . Here in Scandiland we don't really have Rabbits - some domestics have escaped and made short lived colonies in the south but the ferocious winter usually wipes out the poor diggers (ground too frozen as well) We do have 2 types of Hare though, the Arctic whose coat goes snow white and the Brown Hare whose coat gets camo lighter, they are very big sizes too, the meat is good but very strong & gamey unlike Rabbit. They look alike but they're not, Hares live above ground and the young Leverets are 2 or 3 at most, but born with fur and eyes open, ready to run! Many are in urban and suburban zones and 2 winters ago they destroyed my young Apple orchard which I foolishly thought were big enough to leave unwired. 10 years wiped out in a couple of nights of chewing !!
Will, that is an old picture, taken during past group hunts over a pack of beagles. I used to eat rabbit but haven’t in a long time, haven’t hunted them in six or seven years. The meat is very white and works well in a gravy - some folks fry it but I don’t. Bruce

Back