Traditional of the month: Stockman

This old Buck was happy to help a little in the garden today...gonna be a yummy supper tonight!

IMG_1968.jpg

I'm very intrigued by the stockman pattern with 3 useful and different blades and great looks, preferably near the 4" length i think. This thread is definitely fueling the fire. I will need to get one, eventually.

Stockmanpatterns10-5-2011004.jpg

Main blade gets the crud work, sheepfoot gets the carving/whittling jobs, and the spay gets the food prep work.

~Chris

So you're talking about castrating bulls? Just kidding.

I have that same white Frontier. Any idea what the scales are made of? Is there anything printed on the back scale?

I have a few as it it one of my favorite patterns but every time I try to put something other than my GEC 56 in my pocket it comes back out again. The Case 63032 was my only pocket carry for many years. Look at the blade wear on the pen.

P1010023.jpg

You mean you are no longer in love with your yellow MM!
I thought it was a forever relationship...

Congrats on your 4K

Hum - guess I'm the odd man out on this pattern. It never really grabbed me, probably due to the way the sheepsfoot blade often protrudes from the handle when closed, and I've never been a fan of the spey blade. .....

I just file the kick on the blade and it sits lower

Hal
What a beauty! It reminds me of a Keen Kutter. It has similiar millwork and bolsters and blades.

6395715075_54a978429c_b.jpg

Here are a couple of snapshots of the stockman I plan to carry all June. CV blades, except for the "for flesh only" spey blade. Very comfortable in the pocket, and the cali clip is ideal for slicing up apples.

caseserp1.jpg

caseserp2.jpg

My tiny group of stock knives was enhanced today with the Buck 301. This is my first Buck believe it or not.
Thank you Bill, it certainly won't be my last. By the way, it was wonderful meeting you today. I hope to meet up again.
attachment.php

stock knives.jpg

You mean you are no longer in love with your yellow MM!
I thought it was a forever relationship...

Congrats on your 4K

Thanks Neeman. I actually pulled it out last night and cleaned and oiled it. It's sitting on my dresser and I'm tempted to use it for a while.

74f5b0a6.jpg

6318pu on food duty

Breakfast a not so velvet Elvis ( no bacon and not fried in butter )
Dinner- Hot Italian sausage/spinach, etc.
Weather has been bunk, so no motivation to go hiking or fishing :-(

Holy cow, Stich, you are making me hungry, and it is near bedtime. That spinach/sausage/onion/garlic dish looks amazingly appetizing!

Hey stitch do u like the punch instead of tha Spey blade.

Yes I find it extremely useful check out page 661 post# 13205 on the thread " what traditional knife are you totin " I listed the task/uses I have for punches. I definitely like the clip, sheepsfoot, punch combo, better then a clip, spey, punch. I use the sheepsfoot the most. I bought the Moore Maker 5 blade stockman before case re- released the 6318pu because of the punch, the Moore Maker has been a disappointment came with major blade play on the three blade side sent it back, and they sent me another, and it started to develope blade play with normal use. The case has become one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I have one exactly like yours with a Spey tho. I love the punch but I still use tha Spey to castarate calves and hogs. Great lookin knife by tha way.

Hank-
The inverted T means 2004, I understand. I'd try the Buck Knives forum for this kind of detail.

Last edited:
I have one exactly like yours with a Spey tho. I love the punch but I still use tha Spey to castarate calves and hogs. Great lookin knife by tha way.

Thank you, I always liked larger, knives 4"+, stockman, and moose patterns, but since I've carried this med. stockman almost everyday for 3+ months, I find it very comfortable in the hand and pocket. I do like a Spey for carving, never used it for its intended purpose as you have.

Back