Traditional of the month: Stockman

Yes, Pete, the third blade is a pen:

craftsmanb.jpg

Thanks, heading to the flea market to try and track down a old small carbon stockman

For my birthday, my wife just gave to me last night a Case medium stockman in chestnut bone/CV. Gonna start carrying it now. :)

Switched out my Buck 373 for this guy. Took a little time to get used to the traditionals, but I'm loving it so far!
IMG_0378.jpg

I have that very same knife. Amazing, isn't it? F&F is awesome. No blade play. Perfect walk and talk. Blades sharpen up like a razor and keep their edge well. Built like a tank. If the world ended tomorrow, I'd want to have this knife on me. Definitely takes a lickin and keeps on Tickin.

For my birthday, my wife just gave to me last night a Case medium stockman in chestnut bone/CV. Gonna start carrying it now. :)

Happy birthday, and congratulations! I've long admired Hummpa's pictures of his. What a great gift!

~ P.

Happy birthday!

Here´s a pic of the Case Medium Stockman Chestnut Bone CV

IMG_1339.jpg

It´s made by a cell phone - please excuse the bad quality!

Here´s another pic of my Buck 301

IMG_1361.jpg

Kind regards
Andi

The flea market paid off, just picked up this small Schrade stockman influenced by Doug, for $10 seller wanted $15.
2b1144fa.jpg

b808cd0a.jpg

Still has great snap , no gaps, and no play.
-Pete

Congratulations Pete! I was going to wish you good luck when I saw your first post, glad you found one.

I was told my Craftsman was made by Schrade. Your pictures show the blades to be nearly identical.

Great find, it's a beauty!

This thread has caused me some confusion as I try to follow it. What is the difference between the Stockman, and the Cattleknife?

IIRC, a true stockman is serpentine. A cattle knife is not and is equal end.

Traditionally, they were also often equipped with master spearpoint blades in place of clip points - not something that would normally be found on a stockman. Also, I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the stockman actually evolved from the cattle knife.

Last edited:
Traditionally, they were also often equipped with master spearpoint blades in place of clip points - not something that would normally be found on a stockman. Also, I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the stockman actually evolved from the cattle knife.

I have the same memory. I think I read it on the Bernard Levine Forum.

Meanwhile, this Camillus made Remington is one of my favorites, even if the scales are a bit gosh. Has the 0170-6C alloy steel blades and the blades are wider than those of many stockman knives. I like the wider clip especially.

100_3076.jpg

Frank, Jab,

Thank you both. That helped. I knew of the equal end, but some of these had both the clip point, and the equal end, hence the question. I will regard the equal ended clip point as some manner of hybrid.

-Ron

Well in my previous post that included the picture of my one lonely medium stockman I stated that it might be the only one I get because it's not my favorite pattern. Well, I was wrong. I found a place selling Case medium yellow handled stockmans for $23 so I snagged one in SS and one in CV. Why? Because of the price for one and two because of this thread. I've been carrying my stockman along with my peanut and I'm getting used to the larger size. They also had yellow peanuts for under $20 but this isn't the thread for that. :)

Thanks, Doug & bwperdue, the Sunday flea market paid off.
The knife is great, but the previous owner never maintained the blades. It looks like it has never been sharpened and the edges on the clip and sheepsfoot are nonexistent and worn and round. Gave the knife a wash and oiled it up, then tried to cut jute twine no luck, did a paper test, the paper was sharper. Spent a good amount of time on the stone and leather to bring the edges back. I am pretty anal about sharp blades, and this knife is a good example of how maintaining a edge is better for the blades then waiting for the blades to be completely dull before addressing. I don't think I ever spent more time sharpening then I did with this little fella, and when I worked in kitchens I was usually the only one who knew how to sharpen blades and would do everyone's, so not my first rodeo with a dull blade. Anyway it's in pretty decent shape now could be a little sharper, but had other things to do so stopped.
2d688839.jpg

796ce770.jpg

Hi Pete!

That nice guys looks great! The long pulls and the patina on it make it look like an old fellow, which has been carried for decades.

So it s stockman month - I carried a Buck 303 with me today

IMG_1578.jpg

I think the American and the guy from Switzerland work well together in good old Germany ;)

Kind regards
Andi

Thanks Andi, I been looking online trying to find out something about it, and this is what I found so far,
It's a Schrade 808 jr stockman, it's what they call a open stock knife, first introduced in 1952 and last produced in 1988, the tang stamp on mine was used between 1973 thru 2004, a little vague. I like the shield on it, and the long pull and the slight swedge. It's a solid little tank.
Pete

Back