Traditional Pocket Dumps

This could be my carry any day through the week, trading out knives of course. Office carry doesn’t usually require much. I got this neat little valet tray for Christmas so I just toss everything in there in the evening.
IMG_0316.jpeg

I have always carried my knife loose in my right front pocket with my keys and change. I can’t imagine what could be easier than just reaching into your pocket and pulling out your knife. Slips, clips, stitched partitions, etc. all seem like unnecessary hindrances to ready access.
I respectfully disagree. With a small partition that is as tall as about half or two-thirds the knife length, the knife remains vertical, with the handle exposed in the pocket, and always in the same location. Retrieval is easier, not hindered, especially with other items in the same pocket.

If you don't, where will all the awesome organically pocket-worn knives of the future come from?

I think this one has seen it's share of keys and change:

J0GXcoM.jpeg
This one saw maybe a decade of daily keys-and-change exposure before I retired it:
syxaF8E.jpg

This could be my carry any day through the week, trading out knives of course. Office carry doesn’t usually require much. I got this neat little valet tray for Christmas so I just toss everything in there in the evening.
View attachment 2450737
What model Horsewright is that - the Cowboy or something smaller? I've been drooling over his stuff for close to two years and just haven't gotten off TDC to do something about it.

What model Horsewright is that - the Cowboy or something smaller? I've been drooling over his stuff for close to two years and just haven't gotten off TDC to do something about it.
It is the Vaquero model, smaller than the Cowboy I believe at just under 6 inches. I love it's small size. I was the same way with his work and after I got all my Christmas shopping done last year I decided I've waited long enough. You would not be disappointed, it's just as awesome as I'd hoped! 😁

Last edited:
No, you didn’t misunderstand my post. birdsbeaks birdsbeaks might have thought you were referring to his pocket dump.

The safety pin is used to create a small vertical partition in the bottom inside corner (crotch side) of my right front pocket. It keeps my knife comfortably vertical at the bottom of my pocket. I don’t like when they rotate horizontal, especially if larger than -3” long.

Here is a pic to help with the description.
View attachment 2449537

I learned this on the porch!

ahhhh absolutely genius!

Thanks for the visual! I recently started carrying a small horizontal sheath for scout carry, but it restricts my traditional knives to single blades and smaller patterns. I may give this a try!

Ig4frCw.jpg

Buck 55 is carried at 4:00 position. Leatherman is clipped in right pocket with air pods. Book is in left pocket. Combo phone/card holder not shown in back right.

I sometimes carry a guitar pick or leatherman squirt with lanyard in watch pocket.

Ig4frCw.jpg

Buck 55 is carried at 4:00 position. Leatherman is clipped in right pocket with air pods. Book is in left pocket. Combo phone/card holder not shown in back right.

I sometimes carry a guitar pick or leatherman squirt with lanyard in watch pocket.

Gorgeous! I'm digging your blend of the past with the present - makes me feel like we're living in interesting times!

Great thread! Here’s my contribution, from this morning…View attachment 2454099

Awesome dump, CJF!

Very refined, but everything there looks ready to put in some work too!

I've ogled and drooled over so many Seikos, it's kind of weird that I've never owned one 😓. Looking at my watches, I'm apparently more of a Citizen man. 🤣 Love the strap, btw - that's also my preferred variety of timepiece retention!

Not a pocket dump.
Belt carry for my Barlow in belt pouch I made many years ago.
View attachment 2455241
But isn't a belt pouch just an external modular pocket? 🤣

It counts in my book! 👍

Nice work - I've got some basic leather-working tools and some nice material, just gotta convince myself to start cutting and stitching!

I can't make out the lettering, but do the hand imprints have any special significance?

But isn't a belt pouch just an external modular pocket? 🤣

It counts in my book! 👍

Nice work - I've got some basic leather-working tools and some nice material, just gotta convince myself to start cutting and stitching!

I can't make out the lettering, but do the hand imprints have any special significance?
Thanks Will
I used to make belts and sheaths for people for awhile and it was called Redhand leather.
I used to like to try different things for myself.
That pouch is near 20 years old. Water buffalo body and kangaroo lacing.
1 of my prized possessions, a buckle the wife had made many a Christmas ago,
20240113_130220.jpg

Thanks Will
I used to make belts and sheaths for people for awhile and it was called Redhand leather.
I used to like to try different things for myself.
That pouch is near 20 years old. Water buffalo body and kangaroo lacing.
1 of my prized possessions, a buckle the wife had made many a Christmas ago,
View attachment 2455400
Oh wow, that is really neat! 😍 I have yet to make anything out of leather, but I know I want to!

I have currently a good sized piece of cowhide and another neat piece of buffalo leather that I want to use to make some double slips for a few pairs of knives that I usually carry together.

Perhaps overly ambitious on my part, but I also have a copy of "How To Make Whips" by Ron Edwards - because I think the first time I popped my own whip, I'd really feel like I'd arrived!

Back