Traditionals and Cast Iron Cookware

Breakfast time.

AiqIyuc.jpg
It's breakfast time here, 7.38am Sunday the 7th, and your bacon is making me hungry, love your newest knife score, i am going in a lottery for one later today.:).

I got into cast iron about 2 years ago. The pans and knives all came from either estate sales or garage sales. You're looking at under $40 total for everything in the picture. I read about not using soap but sometimes I use a little Dawn and notice no ill effects. I further read this advice started when harsh lye soap was the norm. Modern soap seems like it doesn't hurt the seasoning from my experience.
That is one of the best under $40 you have ever spent.:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

It's breakfast time here, 7.38am Sunday the 7th, and your bacon is making me hungry, love your newest knife score, i am going in a lottery for one later today.:).
Well Cudgee, did you get one?

I’m trying my hand at making chef’s knives and this seemed like a good place to ask some questions since posters here are pretty likely to do a fair amount of cooking. So here are the questions how long with a good knife do you expect to go without touching up the edge and what do you consider to be a good “practical” test of sharpness in a kitchen knife examples would be one week and slicing tomatoes without smashing.
B0EC3C0D-AF7A-4F86-BFD4-1F0010521E9F.jpeg

I’m trying my hand at making chef’s knives and this seemed like a good place to ask some questions since posters here are pretty likely to do a fair amount of cooking. So here are the questions how long with a good knife do you expect to go without touching up the edge and what do you consider to be a good “practical” test of sharpness in a kitchen knife examples would be one week and slicing tomatoes without smashing.
View attachment 1508276

That's kind of a tough question to answer. My chef knife really only sees the stones periodically, but gets hit on the steel a few times each cutting session. I usually use a bit smaller knife to cut tomatoes with. If a knife I'm using in the kitchen starts to seem like it's wedging apart a potato instead of slicing it then I sharpen it. The same goes for carrots or parsnips, if I need to apply enough pressure that the knife "snaps" through the cut then it's time for a sharpening.

Take all of this with a huge grain of salt by the way... My cooking techniques would probably make a professional chef cringe and then ban me from the kitchen.

That is also a very handsome knife.

First off, like your posted knife, good job.:thumbsup:. I personally have a leather belt hanging in the kitchen which i use as a strop. On the rough side i have some Flexicut Gold Sharpening Compound, i just use it as one would use a honing steel, and give all my knifes a few swipes after each use, i go to a stone when i feel the knife needs it, which depends on how much you are cutting, slicing and chopping and what you are cutting. The best way for me, and this is only me, to feel if my knife is sharp enough, is the onion and tomato test. If i can slice through an onion without the knife trying to slide off at an angle and can slice thin slices of a tomato that is sharp enough for my requirements. A well known chef put me onto the onion test, she said a sharp knife will slice through an onion without going off at an angle either left or right. If my knife is not sharp enough you can feel trying to go off line at an angle. It all comes down to what works for you though. Have a good weekend.:).

Cast Iron put up for the night w/ Beer Scout at the ready View attachment 1504383
View attachment 1504384
Magnificent!! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The implements and the storage, all first rate.

View attachment 1508276
I think it speaks well of you to ask such a question. :thumbsup: Now I only play a chef on TV (kidding) but I do cook nearly every day. That said I tend to use the steel maybe once a week or every other, depending on what has transpired. That is usually sufficient. I have a set of Henckels that I purchased ~25 years ago and other than my lame first attempts on a stone (think too flat) they look pretty new. I really love them greatly. The "tomato test" is a good one but I agree with cudgee cudgee on the onion -- and I use onions in just about everything. :D Best of luck to you in your kitchen knife endeavors!

Good looking steak.:p:p:p. And a nice little pocket knife.:thumbsup: Have a good week and stay warm and inside if you can. Going to be about 90 degrees here all week, but you may not have wanted to hear that.;).

That's kind of a tough question to answer. My chef knife really only sees the stones periodically, but gets hit on the steel a few times each cutting session. I usually use a bit smaller knife to cut tomatoes with. If a knife I'm using in the kitchen starts to seem like it's wedging apart a potato instead of slicing it then I sharpen it. The same goes for carrots or parsnips, if I need to apply enough pressure that the knife "snaps" through the cut then it's time for a sharpening.

Take all of this with a huge grain of salt by the way... My cooking techniques would probably make a professional chef cringe and then ban me from the kitchen.

That is also a very handsome knife.

First off, like your posted knife, good job.:thumbsup:. I personally have a leather belt hanging in the kitchen which i use as a strop. On the rough side i have some Flexicut Gold Sharpening Compound, i just use it as one would use a honing steel, and give all my knifes a few swipes after each use, i go to a stone when i feel the knife needs it, which depends on how much you are cutting, slicing and chopping and what you are cutting. The best way for me, and this is only me, to feel if my knife is sharp enough, is the onion and tomato test. If i can slice through an onion without the knife trying to slide off at an angle and can slice thin slices of a tomato that is sharp enough for my requirements. A well known chef put me onto the onion test, she said a sharp knife will slice through an onion without going off at an angle either left or right. If my knife is not sharp enough you can feel trying to go off line at an angle. It all comes down to what works for you though. Have a good weekend.:).

Magnificent!! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The implements and the storage, all first rate.

I think it speaks well of you to ask such a question. :thumbsup: Now I only play a chef on TV (kidding) but I do cook nearly every day. That said I tend to use the steel maybe once a week or every other, depending on what has transpired. That is usually sufficient. I have a set of Henckels that I purchased ~25 years ago and other than my lame first attempts on a stone (think too flat) they look pretty new. I really love them greatly. The "tomato test" is a good one but I agree with cudgee cudgee on the onion -- and I use onions in just about everything. :D Best of luck to you in your kitchen knife endeavors!
Thanks guys! I never though about the blade not slicing straight through an onion as an indication of sharpness I always thought about it as a bad bevel angle. I’ll start to pay more attention to that as I have noticed it from time to time but never paid attention after sharpening.

Thanks guys! I never though about the blade not slicing straight through an onion as an indication of sharpness I always thought about it as a bad bevel angle. I’ll start to pay more attention to that as I have noticed it from time to time but never paid attention after sharpening.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. That is the great thing about here, there is a wealth of information that people have picked up over the years and are only too willing to share. I have watched your posts for a while now, like your work. I have nothing but complete respect to any artisan craftsman.;):).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. That is the great thing about here, there is a wealth of information that people have picked up over the years and are only too willing to share. I have watched your posts for a while now, like your work. I have nothing but complete respect to any artisan craftsman.;):).
Thanks again! I couldn’t agree more about the wealth of information here. I started coming here several years ago because every time I googled something about knives I would end up here, until eventually I set up an account and skipped the internet search. Of course “the porch” is just a good place to hang out and talk knives in general.

Back