Uncle Henry collectors? Just curious.

2ec0ro4.jpg

3rd generation uncle Henry's

Wow! Very nice saddlebum. The 15uh and 77uh are extremely hard to find. Surprised to see you have both. Great coloring on the others also. I'm not sure but I think the keen kutter 897 was contracted out to camillus?? Is that a single blade trapper you have there?
Jay

The 4 1/8" trappers are End Off Days knives made up from different Ducks Unlimited limited editions. Yes, one is a single blade, from a 2004 DU, SDU197 without a shield. Nice that it is so slim, but would be nicer if it had a linerlock, from a practical standpoint. All of the photos are a little washed out, (especially the 77UH and 15UH) after I just transferred them to a new computer and Windows Photo Gallery 2012 that left all 9000+ photos in need of enhancing to make them look right again and do justice to the colors. Ugh! You have a wonderful collection. Thanks for sharing!

2vnfm6b.jpg

This is a schrade-loveless hunter. It is from Henry Baer's' personal collection. The blade is engraved by Shaw-Liebowitz. I think this qualifies as an Uncle Henry. At least to me.
Jay

is that a elephant sheath? i have a bird's head 171UH also but with a more standard sheath (has a sharpening stone)

Attachments

• 171 birds head 00493 01.jpg
    171 birds head 00493 01.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6
Yup, that is one of the elephant hide style impressed sheaths that came with the Craftsman American Eagle series as addressed in other threads.

As an aside I don't believe I have read whether the legend of Henry obtaining actual elephant hide to create sheaths has been resolved. At least nothing that I have read so far.

Last edited:
I am new to Schrade hunting and wondered if someone could explain 3rd generation to me. Thanks for your patience the good thing about jumping on a new brand to collect you get to ask the dumb questions and act like a newbie again.

syv7h5.jpg

I spoke to both Wally Gardiner and Dave Swinden about the elephant hide. They told me it was absolutely true Henry went to Africa and had the idea for elephant hide sheath. The way I understand it he secured some and sent it to the states with the intention to buy more in the future. The source he had there proved unreliable ultimately. This sheath with the 153 is from the factory collection and feels and looks much different from the one shown with the 171. I believe one is real and one is simulated.
Randy there is good research info on third gen knives on "collectors of schrade r us" web site. Look under articles and then "the missing uh's"
Jay

From the elephant's trunk. Thanks James.

Previous post edited appropriately.

Last edited:
It is my impression that those heffalump sheaths came with some of the 165 OT knives and 171 UH knives but not with any of the 153 UH knives. Is this correct?

I am new to Schrade hunting and wondered if someone could explain 3rd generation to me. Thanks for your patience the good thing about jumping on a new brand to collect you get to ask the dumb questions and act like a newbie again.

Blue bone 5OT
image.php

A 3rd Generation knife is much the same as a bent 5OT.
image.php

Koldgold, the sheaths I put in the picture are not original to the knife. I just like them. Sorry for not specifying that. Wasn't thinking. As far as I know they were for sears knives primarily.
Jay

Great knife! Any lb7 is but a knife with a personal connection is always special. Thanx for posting it.
Jay

2ec0ro4.jpg

3rd generation uncle Henry's

Randy, Welcome to Schrade Collecting; Newbie...lol I am fairly new to collecting in general. It just so happens that the 3rd Generation collection is the one I went after hard & literally just finished off the collection. The first picture is the one that got me started on them. The 3rd Generation knives "Could only be made by the 3rd generation of knife makers". They are a very early run of knives from the 60's & the Uncle Henry ones came just before Schrade closed there doors. James is a lucky one to have gotten his hands on that set. Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

Back