Useless knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
200w.gif

If you look up "useless" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of this turd:

image.jpg

Here's what I said about it in 2005:
It has a handle as ergonomic as a cactus, a blade that won't hold an edge, a retention system that doesn't work at all, a thumb opener that absolutely sucks, the roughest opening of any folder EVER, and a "liner lock" about as thick as rice paper! (with it "locked" open, you can move the blade toward the handle and watch the "liner lock" bow) The thing is an absolute piece of trash. I use mine as a grout scraper, and it barely functions at that job!
WHAT AN ABSOLUTE P.O.S.!!!!!!

This made me laugh, I bought that knife in college back in '95. It got me through a few weeks in the woods doing SERE classes but yes a crappy knife in all respects. Such memories, thank you.

A few candidates:

ED2206.png

(Imagine pulling that out of something)

This was done "just because" but the point stands:
Wenger-Giant-85-tool-141-function-Swiss-Army-Knife-34c08bad-4ede-48d6-a7a1-cd7d75abe35e.jpg

0130633153972915772.jpg

300 bucks.... Did I mentioned its cast in a wax mold?

300 bucks?!?!?! What in the hell is it made of?

Obviously a silly design, but it is not "cast in a wax mold". The ACK wording is incorrect, it is cast from a wax plug, like all lost wax casting (same way Boye casts stellite).

~Chip

Ruger uses the same method for their GP100 frames. Golf clubs are often made the same way.

Another candidate:

319879.jpg

What can't you do with that? It even has the time! And the superior, Victorinox, scissors.

Is that a Victorinox or a Wenger?

If you look up "useless" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of this turd:

image.jpg

Here's what I said about it in 2005:
It has a handle as ergonomic as a cactus, a blade that won't hold an edge, a retention system that doesn't work at all, a thumb opener that absolutely sucks, the roughest opening of any folder EVER, and a "liner lock" about as thick as rice paper! (with it "locked" open, you can move the blade toward the handle and watch the "liner lock" bow) The thing is an absolute piece of trash. I use mine as a grout scraper, and it barely functions at that job!
WHAT AN ABSOLUTE P.O.S.!!!!!!

I have one of those in my knife toolbox. Never mess with it.

A few candidates:

ED2206.png

(Imagine pulling that out of something)

This was done "just because" but the point stands:
Wenger-Giant-85-tool-141-function-Swiss-Army-Knife-34c08bad-4ede-48d6-a7a1-cd7d75abe35e.jpg

300 bucks?!?!?! What in the hell is it made of?

Ruger uses the same method for their GP100 frames. Golf clubs are often made the same way.

To be fair that first one you posted a picture of is a “sword breaker” which despite the name doesn’t break swords but rather catches them.

To be fair that first one you posted a picture of is a “sword breaker” which despite the name doesn’t break swords but rather catches them.

That's not the exact one I was looking for but it's close enough. Yeah it can catch the sword but then what?

IMO it's more of a "fantasy knife" than anything else anymore.

That's not the exact one I was looking for but it's close enough. Yeah it can catch the sword but then what?

IMO it's more of a "fantasy knife" than anything else anymore.

It’s totally not a fantasy sword. It is held in your left hand with your sword in your right. It was typically used for duels. You trap your opponents sword then stab him with yours.

It is basically a variation of the main gauche dagger used particularly in rapier duels.

It’s totally not a fantasy sword. It is held in your left hand with your sword in your right. It was typically used for duels. You trap your opponents sword then stab him with yours.

It is basically a variation of the main gauche dagger used particularly in rapier duels.

Cool. So it really was a thing back in Ye Olde Swordfighting days?

I didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back