Whacha Been Up To......

Yes, I wet the leather using a spray water bottle and then stamp in the embossings, and after it dries I’ll stamp a second time and then I’ll dye the leather and one more time to emboss so now it is very tight and crisp, reason for repetition of stamping them is that every time the leather is damp, from water or dye, the leather tends to swell up and the embossing can lose it's crispness.
Caution is advised to take time to set the stamp in place before striking, if a stamp one that can be placed in either direction, I mark the handle so I remember to hold that mark towards me each time, lessens the risk that the stamp has small differences when placed in either direction.
G2
Thanks!

I decided to continue practicing, this time I made a sheath for a Gerber. Wet forming, stitching grooves (one-sided!) and new waxed linen thread that I think came out much better than the previous thin synthetic thread I used. A bit of a simplistic belt loop perhaps but I was quite satisfied… until I realised, much too late, that I made it a lefty 😳

25DEC0DB-4D66-41A6-A93B-F62DF0C9868A.jpeg

DD41ECB2-5ADA-4645-832B-92B6F4AFFDE0.jpeg

D77E711F-B6D6-431F-B1F4-55EC8C1EAECE.jpeg

79D54FA1-73B8-4C1B-8FA1-49B78418DE61.jpeg

Nice one! The lefty righty thing comes to bite you. ;) I just marked the inside of a puukko sheath I am making with a black marker to avoid the same mistake. I kept laying it in WRONG. :oops: The next step would have locked it in as backwards.:mad: The marker will keep me on track.

NOW - I would think easy enough to move your belt tab to the other side. Well, not easy but doable. Admittedly stitching it on is virtually impossible but you might be able to sneak a rivet in there. Should be fine for a small knife. The old holes? A little massage and a little smutch in the holes might hide well enough. I assume a lot here. In any case - you made a nice one. :thumbsup:

Nice one! The lefty righty thing comes to bite you. ;) I just marked the inside of a puukko sheath I am making with a black marker to avoid the same mistake. I kept laying it in WRONG. :oops: The next step would have locked it in as backwards.:mad: The marker will keep me on track.

NOW - I would think easy enough to move your belt tab to the other side. Well, not easy but doable. Admittedly stitching it on is virtually impossible but you might be able to sneak a rivet in there. Should be fine for a small knife. The old holes? A little massage and a little smutch in the holes might hide well enough. I assume a lot here. In any case - you made a nice one. :thumbsup:
Thanks - I entertained the idea of redoing it but quickly decided I will keep it as a lesson learnt. After all the purpose was training, and that goal was achieved. On the whole I’m very happy with the progress. I used my bench drill for the stitching holes this time, having marked the holes with my punching forks (or what they are called, you know what I mean), and in combination with the stitching groover and the thicker waxed linen thread the seam came out much nicer than in my earlier attempts.

Yes, I wet the leather using a spray water bottle and then stamp in the embossings, and after it dries I’ll stamp a second time and then I’ll dye the leather and one more time to emboss so now it is very tight and crisp, reason for repetition of stamping them is that every time the leather is damp, from water or dye, the leather tends to swell up and the embossing can lose it's crispness.
Caution is advised to take time to set the stamp in place before striking, if a stamp one that can be placed in either direction, I mark the handle so I remember to hold that mark towards me each time, lessens the risk that the stamp has small differences when placed in either direction.
G2
Today I learned I shall never stamp.

RayseM RayseM - looking good brother! Leaps and bounds.

Also, you can get a rivet to swivel if you peen it into a dish shape instead of flat.

Today I learned I shall never stamp.

RayseM RayseM - looking good brother! Leaps and bounds.

Also, you can get a rivet to swivel if you peen it into a dish shape instead of flat.

Thanks Josh. Yes, I have a sheath made by MAKAEL that has a swivel rivet. Very satisfying because it doesn't rock and roll but allows the belt loop to be positioned (surprisingly securely) in almost any position. I saw no need for it here. These particular rivets, I now realize, are silly big for knife sheath making. I've got a batch of them - a short life time supply. :( Wish I had ordered a size smaller.

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley - our brother Josh SwissHeritageCo SwissHeritageCo is not immune to OCD tendencies with his craftsmanship, :) I say with RESPECT.

Should I be wearing gloves when doing leather work? :oops: Your results suggest that it can't hoit! :)

Should I be wearing gloves when doing leather work? :oops: Your results suggest that it can't hoit! :)
I’m just kind of use to wearing gloves. But I do find it helpful working with leather. With gloves I don’t get marks on the leather from my hands. Especially when the leather is wet for molding. The gloves also give me an added grip with tools. Plus I keep my hands clean 👍👍

Thanks Josh. Yes, I have a sheath made by MAKAEL that has a swivel rivet. Very satisfying because it doesn't rock and roll but allows the belt loop to be positioned (surprisingly securely) in almost any position. I saw no need for it here. These particular rivets, I now realize, are silly big for knife sheath making. I've got a batch of them - a short life time supply. :( Wish I had ordered a size smaller.

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley - our brother Josh SwissHeritageCo SwissHeritageCo is not immune to OCD tendencies with his craftsmanship, :) I say with RESPECT.

Yep lol.

Still want to re-do you're sheath in black like you originally wanted, and I've just come to the conclusion that knives that narrow definitely need the mouth of the sheath flared out to help with the lines of the sheath and to make it easier to insert. I stopped doing it because I was worried about retention but working on a new sheath now and it functions great and looks way better ;)

One day I will make a sheath without a single thing on it that niggles me!

Back