What are you watching & why? (splain)

Zulus

Gold Member
OK, seems my Q in the Random Thoughts thread had gotten some traction so here we go to BS around some more during the down times!

Prologue: although I'm a late convert to streaming and cord-cutting, I luv it this way for many reasons such as diversity and variety plus catching up with loads of good to great (in the eyes of the beholder) contents which I had missed in the past. Burt most importantly, I can mostly watch what I want and when I want without DVR and such restrictions.

If you are replying, please also note in here as to what the source of your recommendation is whether streaming, cable, OTA, satellite, whatevs! Also try to keep it to recently viewed or currently viewing, not something you liked from the 1970's (tongue in cheek!). Also try to write up a bit about it without giving away plot lines, just a premise of the show should do.

I'll go first:

Currently watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix. I have come to luv this show and cant stop binging on it. It's a drama about a gangster family of downtrodden quasi gypsies from Birmingham, England in the era just after WWI. I find the story telling to be tantalizing, the acting to be great (you will recognize some of the actors if you watch Brit shows even from GoT) and the production quality to be quite high like something HBO would do, which is no surprise because it's BBC & Netflix concocting this show. The series ran from 2013 to 2016, so 4 season but season 5 should be readied at some point in this 2019.

I don't think that there are too many squeamish folks on here but be fore warned that the show has lots of violence and some nudity! Also, the local dialects and the thickish Brummie, Cockney and Irish accents may be a bit hard to understand for some of you natives :p

I don't watch teve since years
Netcommiefix too, since years

Old movies without commglobal propaganda only !!!

sgt1372

Platinum Member
Just started binge watching "Columbo" starting w/Season 1, Episode 1, shot in 1971. There were/are 10 seasons of Columbo.

Reason: Ran out of other things to watch that I cared to watch and it's "nostalgic" for me. It's "interesting" that I can still remember some of the episodes that I have watched so far, 50 years after they aired.

I turned 21 that year. A lot was "happening" politically in the US and around the world. It was also notable time in my life both personally and educationally.

Besides, it's fun to see what the world looked like back then, before cell phones, the Internet and all of the tech advances and lifestyle changes since then.

bluemax_1

Gold Member
Just started binge watching "Columbo" starting w/Season 1, Episode 1, shot in 1971. There were/are 10 seasons of Columbo.

***snip***

Besides, it's fun to see what the world looked like back then, before cell phones, the Internet and all of the tech advances and lifestyle changes since then.
I bought the OG Macgyver DVD set a few years back. Found it amusing that more than a few episodes were based on Mac trying to figure out creative ways to get in touch with Pete or the authorities (back before cellphones).

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member

Reason: Ran out of other things to watch that I cared to watch and it's "nostalgic" for me. It's "interesting" that I can still remember some of the episodes that I have watched so far, 50 years after they aired.

I turned 21 that year. A lot was "happening" politically in the US and around the world. It was also notable time in my life both personally and educationally.

Huge Columbo fan here. If you get a chance, before you get too far, see if you can find and watch the TWO pilot episodes, the first of which was recorded and aired way back in 1968 - three years before Season 1, Episode 1 (which, BTW, was directed by an unknown 24 year old Steven Spielberg and written by an also-unknown Stephen Bochco, who went on to create Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law, Doogie Howser, and NYPD Blue). Even though Falk was also in the pilots, it was a different conception of who Columbo is than what we saw in the subsequent series, and it was interesting to me to see the differences.

FUN FACT: For some reason that eludes me, there is a statue of Columbo and his dog in Budapest, Hungary.

398px-G%C3%A9zaDezs%C5%91Fekete-Columbo.JPG

Zulus

Gold Member
My favorite era is 70-80's
But 40-50's and 90"s are good too

I bought (throught years) several sets of movies, shows, directors etc
Monk, Hitchcock, Clint Eastwood, Twilight Zone, Wanted Dead or Alive, Mel Brooks,
entire Bond, Columbo, etc etc etc
I'm set for incoming decades without teve or even internet :^)
Of course I need power and working player !