What did you rehang today?

I am constantly messing around trying to create a great full size pack ax. I am not a fan of the Dayton or the flat cheeked Collins homestead so this was more of an experiment of the handle size. This is 30 and a half inches total. I put a head I am not fond of on a handle I had in the pile I was not going to use due to grain run-out and whatnot. Might make a decent truck ax for someone.

What weight head?
It's a 3 and a half pounder. I had it on a 32 but the handle warped and I didn't care for it all around to begin with. I was trying to find a sweet spot for a full sized pack ax. I compared it to a Foulton on a 36" handle. I think the mistake in my thinking was that comparison. I am not trying to make an equal to a 36" er.
I should have compared it to a boys ax on a 28" handle. That is what I am trying to improve on in a full size pack ax.
If this length works out I have a Red Warrior Michigan that I will hang and use as a pack ax. It has far better cheek geometry and is around the same weight. It stems from our conversation of a 3lbder on a 30 inch handle. But I don't have any 3lb heads.

495F2DF6-54C5-4FB4-83F8-83788EFC50AA.jpg

I am happy with how these turned out.

The 2.5lb Montreal pattern’s handle is from a taken down full size eye 28” straight handle. @DarthTaco123 posted a picture of his a while back and it really stuck with me.

The 2.5lb HB cruiser is on a slimmed down House Handle that I found locally. Funky swells, cherry wedges and both are very sharp.

I took some pics right after hanging and then again after applying the “Secret Sauce” to the handles. Not much but a little darker for an end result.

BMMadk1.jpg

IJsidgK.jpg

BMMadk1.jpg

4ubxrAI.jpg

WQU8GzG.jpg

XXv48hG.jpg

0vuhXwT.jpg

hyfgQyg.jpg

ZfiwmIO.jpg

OD2NILO.jpg

091FC595-937F-46A4-96D2-008D5FEC0363.jpg

Sorry for the gratuitous photos but I figured we all like to look at axe stuff.

Last edited:
I like them Agent H. The knob ended swells are by far the most durable.
I have an older Walters Montreal pattern that I believe is on its original 27" straight haft. its hard not to like it.

It's a 3 and a half pounder. I had it on a 32 but the handle warped and I didn't care for it all around to begin with. I was trying to find a sweet spot for a full sized pack ax. I compared it to a Foulton on a 36" handle. I think the mistake in my thinking was that comparison. I am not trying to make an equal to a 36" er.
I should have compared it to a boys ax on a 28" handle. That is what I am trying to improve on in a full size pack ax.
If this length works out I have a Red Warrior Michigan that I will hang and use as a pack ax. It has far better cheek geometry and is around the same weight. It stems from our conversation of a 3lbder on a 30 inch handle. But I don't have any 3lb heads.
The old WW2 Swedish military surplus axes were a pretty good compromise with 3lb heads on 28" or so hafts. Big step up from boy's axes and cruiser's. The heads were not the best though.

Spiller axe 1949 jersey. double stamped 3.

DBjvnNXUAAA_ldG.jpg

Collins legitimus was in a sorry state when i bought the head

DBjvnNaUwAAmbj3.jpg

DBjvnNWUQAAl09x.jpg

70s Collins homestead 2 1/4

DBjvnNSU0AARKhZ.jpg

Those are awesome Cooperhill! What do you think of the steel on the Collins compared to the others you set up?

I'd be surprised to find a Maine axe anywhere near my area - Swamping patterns and occasionally rafting/construction axes... yes lol.

Those are awesome Cooperhill! What do you think of the steel on the Collins compared to the others you set up?

I'd be surprised to find a Maine axe anywhere near my area - Swamping patterns and occasionally rafting/construction axes... yes lol.

Thanks! IIRCC, the 70s homestead was the hardest of the three to file. The legitimus and spiller seemed pretty typical. I generally use old stock bastard files to reprofile/sharpen. I have yet to test any of them.

I think this Spiller was an internet purchase. I mostly find Snow & Nealleys, John Kings, and E&S in my area (in that order of finds).

i have a cast steel legitimus and i cut through some wire and it didnt care, no dulling, it was the exact same as every other part of the blade, i'v had it for a good while now and it hasnt dulled yet

True temper red Warrior Michigan three and a half pounds on a modern true temper handle. 35 and a quarter inches top to bottom.

It was flat ground at one point I took some of that out. It will disappear over time.

You can see a little here. Shaving sharp with two files and my little puck stone.

Back