1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. flexo

flexo

Mar 14, 2013
    i made a handle for a hatchet in robinia pseudo acacia , and it holds well so far...

jblyttle likes this.
  2. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    We have individual cases, highly circumstantial, by nature subjective and not generalizable and we have the collective knowledge gathered over time and a variety of circumstances. Robinia is wide spread and grows along side the standard accepted wood types but its use is always a deviation. I connect that rejection with the hardness and unpleasant working characteristics of the wood though I could be wrong. There are many reasons one can think of why we don't see it used for handles much.

3. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    garry3, Trailsawyer, Agent_H and 4 others like this.
  4. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013

rjdankert, garry3, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  5. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  6. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Those bench dogs are the best set up I have seen for holding a handle.:thumbsup:

Brian Rust, Trailsawyer and 300Six like this.
  7. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
  8. rjdankert

rjdankert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I thought part II was interesting. I don't remember seeing this method:

Bob

Miller '72 likes this.
  9. flexo

flexo

Mar 14, 2013
    that's exactly how i do except i do not often cross wedge . making the fit with draw knife, is acurate, quick, effortless, spliting the protuding wood, is quicker than doing it with a saw, (wich is for me the most boring thing in axe handle making.)

rjdankert and Ernest DuBois like this.
  10. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I swapped the old Montgomery Wards handle from my :mad: cracked Rixford head to my 4lb A.A.T.Co ROUGH RIDER michigan pattern.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  12. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was a re-rehang! I felt that the handle was just too thick after a few times using it. Now it is great. Feels great and did well trimming the old magnolia tree. This handle length can be fairly unsafe to use but I feel with an experienced user it has its place.

And this was an old maul handle I chopped up to start with.

13. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Long and slim, that is a fine handle!

14. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    I think that this guy is an expert handle maker, but I'm not in love with his method of hanging.

Square_peg likes this.
  15. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I stopped by the hardware store last night to pick up missing pieces to the Peavey cant hook collar/shroud that JB sent me. I promised updates but haven't fitted it as of yet.

[​IMG]
    Can’t.Hook
    by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Jasper33, Square_peg and Miller '72 like this.
  16. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]

Got another KP today. The vintage replacement handle just soaked up a ton of oil. Gosh I love vintage handles!!!

garry3, Square_peg, quinton and 2 others like this.
  17. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Nice and full. Great axe and photo - symmetry. :thumbsup:

Miller '72 and Brian Rust like this.
  18. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Axe heads survive. Handles don't. When I find a good vintage handle I always try to re-use it. Even if you have to cut them off they still make great patterns.

Brian Rust and Miller '72 like this.
  19. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Yes sir I agree 100%. This one was particularly nice because the curve was not cut yet. I really enjoyed working with an old growth handle I don’t get the opportunity very often. It may have been second generation but even that is better than most of what I see you today.

20. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Can’t.Hook
    by Agent Hierarchy

It's started at least. Got the bolt trimmed up. 3 washers - one on either side of the hook in the housing to take up some slack and minimize play and one behind the nut. There is always play on them as far as I have seen/used. Not sure if that matters as long as the housing is solid/not crushed/or bent too far to one side.

Are the one piece collar/shrouds with points considered "Improved"? I can see them being "improved" from the standpoint of being less to worry about to get on a stick.
    The donor hook is a Warren I believe.

rjdankert, Miller '72, garry3 and 2 others like this.