What did you rehang today?

I didn't know where else to put this and I didn't want to start another thread. My grandfather(born in 1890 died 1965) was a blacksmith and wheelwright primarily. With 19 kids he did everything for work though from time to time. I have precious little from him. But he did leave behind his shop and about the only thing my uncles didn't take(steal) was a half dozen yellow birch sleigh runners my grandfather had roughed out. I've made a bunch of things from one and the leftover tip here; 20190317_141246.jpgi ripped it to 3/8 for some wedges. 20190317_141256.jpg
I've had such good results with white birch I thought I'd give this a shot. It's been drying for at least 75 years. Anyhow I just wanted to share that because it is important to me. Thanks for looking! 20190317_144623.jpg

Does that Mann hatchet have flat cheeks?
Not perfectly flat but I don’t really know how flat constitutes “flat”?

Does this help?
6-A653770-4-E33-4478-99-E6-9-B9292-F5-C143.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures but this mallet is so beautiful I had to take a lot of pictures. I got this at a garage sale. The gentleman said he made it in his early 20’s when he started in the trade (cabinetry). He was around 70 probably maybe older. I could have talked and listen to his stories all day. I did for a good hour or so. I finally rehung it. He said it was a cherry burl that he received from his mentor. I took the pictures in the sun light to try to show all the crazy flowing grain and the colors in it. It looks great but the pictures still don’t give it justice. Thanks for looking!!

Sorry for all the pictures but this mallet is so beautiful I had to take a lot of pictures. I got this at a garage sale. The gentleman said he made it in his early 20’s when he started in the trade (cabinetry). He was around 70 probably maybe older. I could have talked and listen to his stories all day. I did for a good hour or so. I finally rehung it. He said it was a cherry burl that he received from his mentor. I took the pictures in the sun light to try to show all the crazy flowing grain and the colors in it. It looks great but the pictures still don’t give it justice. Thanks for looking!!
It's awesome! One of the applications were straight grain is not is not what you want. I think somtimes them old timers are just happy that the tool goes to some one that really appreciates it. :thumbsup:

Yes he was very happy to sell it to me. He said if I wouldn’t have gotten it someone would have used it as a decorator piece lol.
A guy can learn a lot from them old guys. I have whittled away a few hours myself on what was a quick stop, but you can't put a price on experience and knowledge. Firm believer in following in the footsteps of those that went before me.
I was just watching Paul Sellers make a mallet on youtube yesterday. Because I don't have one and I need one. That is really crazy with all the old tools I have and use. Any way here is a link to part one..

I think your wedge orientation was well chosen. Any stress is less likely to split the mallet, not that this burl wood looks like anything that would split easily.

Well done!

Yes I would have liked for the wedge to be a little straighter across but it was close enough. I took the handle on and off three times and everytime that was where it ended up (shape of inside the eye I guess?). Since that’s where it wanted to go I left it. I couldn’t get a good photo but inside the eye you can see the marks from the tapering bit the gentleman used to drill it. It sits perfectly level on the handle too. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall while he was making it 50 or 60 years ago! Thanks for looking!!

I finished cleaning up and rehangin this Welland Vale from Allan Klenman’s collection today.
w8Mn5pr.jpg

It had quite a bit of green paint left, especially in the eye and on the handle, that I suspect was original but unfortunately removed to clean it up.
yqgnqTC.jpg

HRPGClN.jpg

I smoked the handle with the others that I recently did and although it’s basically shot, I rehung it just to keep them together. It would have been an awesome handle.
LtTwGRk.jpg

eCQzPpn.jpg

cPBw1Ny.jpg

mpuvFU6.jpg

Thanks to everyone here for being a wealth of inspiration and knowledge!

Well, I got this 1911 Registered hung.
LGuq1bg.jpg

It was beat up
x0Z1s8L.jpg

Attempted to reshape the badly hammered Michigan poll. (Not sure that I rounded the corners quite enough.)
ABYbZTf.jpg

It’s a little high on the shoulder for my liking.
NAMTqIU.jpg

But overall it’s ok, it feels good in the hand.
6gcbvKx.jpg

Didn’t want to remove more metal than necessary so I didn’t grind it at this point in time.
oUO82Fx.jpg

Cheers!

ithinkverydeeply ithinkverydeeply , your recent photos of axe reworks really move into the whole "Preserve and make right-to-work". You seem to have to have a personal connection to some of these axes/tools and material to document it.
I know some of it is the sheer quality of materials but I appreciate your reserve in changing them.
Wow! I am humbled by this compliment.
Thank you very much.
Right now I’m just glad that there are people sharing and archiving this knowledge. I’m constantly startled how few people even know about let alone care about axes. I talked to an appraiser today with 40 years of experience, 30 on the Antique Roadshow, and every accreditation who had never heard of anyone collecting axes.

Last edited:
Back