What did you rehang today?

One more that I have gotten reunited with it’s haft. This Plumb Au-To-Graf with a nice handle. I didn’t do much here, just cleaned it up to get the rust off and rehung it.
Before
cFHJRU3.jpg

After
Hd4OxGh.jpg

jiytuL1.jpg

0WYsHKh.jpg

y65YJZX.jpg

It’s got this deeply stamped “7” on the back of it. A proof mark?

There wasn’t anywhere to put a handle but it’s an axe derivative. A couple of quiet hours this morning allowed me to get some things sorted in my work space for Spring/Summer.
Lots of metal to remove but you can never have too many wedges. I will pick them up even when I don’t need them – kind of like “having too many clamps” I guess.

5lb.wedge

5lb.wedge

5lb.wedge

5lb.wedge

There wasn’t anywhere to put a handle but it’s an axe derivative. A couple of quiet hours this morning allowed me to get some things sorted in my work space for Spring/Summer.
Lots of metal to remove but you can never have too many wedges. I will pick them up even when I don’t need them – kind of like “having too many clamps” I guess.

5lb.wedge

5lb.wedge

5lb.wedge

5lb.wedge

Great cleanup and the pole is wicked sweet, & compliments the entire look of its age and weather...as always, great work

I don’t know why I’m having trouble getting the photos loaded again

I think it's:
1. you are using the link to your "gallery view" as opposed to each individual picture's link.
2. this forum format requires that you insert the link via the insert link icon above the text pane.
postimagehelp.jpg

It is a very good looking axe and hang on your part :thumbsup:

I found you have to click on the image before you drag it to your post when you use postimg. It looks like someone thinned the bit on that in the near past. Hopefully that means it was well maintained when you got it.

No name 4 lb splitter on a 36” straight haft. The wedge ended up being finished in a way I’ve I never done before. I decided to cut the helve flush to the top, but then the head didn’t look secure to me (it probably was), so I put two 5/8” metal wedges into the poplar wedge. I used a squared off cold chisel to drive them both in about 1/4” below top of wooden wedge (I saw that on Buckin’ Billy Ray’s You Tube channel) E755DF68-1C75-43A0-AAEA-5AF943609AE5.jpeg 999523B9-BE25-47F9-94C1-55775FF5CAEF.jpegand then sealed the whole thing with multiple layers of crazy glue. If I ever do that again (likely won’t), I’ll go get some epoxy. I’ve left the wedge proud for so long that trimming it flush looks strange. On the other hand, that head isn’t likely to come off - ever.

Back