What did you rehang today?

Any suggestions on what kind of file I should be looking for, Agent_H? Types of teeth?

If you find some more information on that file, Fmont, I’d be interested to know it.

Exposing my ignorance: what’s a file card?

Same is true for those as for axes. You can get much better quality plus have the added joy of a project if you keep an eye out. I don't personally know of a reputable company making new spoke shaves. I'm sure someone is making them but if they are good quality they'll necessarily be expensive. Check out fleabay and you'll find a good one. Just look for one that has a lot of iron left.

Lie-Nielson and Veritas both make very nice and very expensive spokeshaves. The only one I have is the Veritas low angle, which is a different animal. But I've got a handful of old Stanley's and Records, and they work about as well as anything could. I have an A2 Hock in a very old 151 which is nice. Just take your time and pay attention with setup.

I have watched several of the videos Paul Sellers has produced and have found each one to be very informative and easy to follow.
Some great saw filing videos

I have a Stanley and Record 151,
Stanley 51, 54, 55....I believe are the numbers as I drink coffee in the kitchen.

I need to clean and address the irons on all but the Record but hope to get to a mattock handle and get a feel for them soon.

:thumbsup:

I have to say, because I didn't before, but I really like the Stanley 53 for hafts. It's a far cry from a Stearns 13, which I haven't even had the honor of seeing, but it's quick to adjust.

When you don't need to count on it to hold for a long time, being able to open up or close down the throat on the fly is so nice for use on hafts, in particular.

Last night I re-wedged the Woodslasher because it was pretty apparent that the BLO alone wasn't going to be enough, then let the head sit in a tray of BLO overnight.

I had to get creative, because I could not get the wedge in much without driving the head out no matter what I did.
Finally my solution was to stand the axe up on a piece of 2x4 and hold the head tightly down using a piece of rope with a foot loop in each end.
I was able to get the wedge in much further but not as much as I'd like so I chiseled in a spot for a cross wedge.

I'm still not positive that it's as tight as it really needs to be, but I didn't want to get too crazy and really just the fawns foot up.

I have watched several of the videos Paul Sellers has produced and have found each one to be very informative and easy to follow.
Some great saw filing videos

I have a Stanley and Record 151,
Stanley 51, 54, 55....I believe are the numbers as I drink coffee in the kitchen.

I need to clean and address the irons on all but the Record but hope to get to a mattock handle and get a feel for them soon.

:thumbsup:

Turns out they are the Stanley No. 51, 52, 55 and the 151...as well as the Record 151.

I have to say, because I didn't before, but I really like the Stanley 53 for hafts. It's a far cry from a Stearns 13, which I haven't even had the honor of seeing, but it's quick to adjust.

When you don't need to count on it to hold for a long time, being able to open up or close down the throat on the fly is so nice for use on hafts, in particular.

I should add that I also use a Stanley 151 with a Veritas PM-VII replacement blade for hogging.

Thanks for chiming in fellas...this is the kind of knowledge you only gain thru personal use and experience but to get a peek in thru the window of users...only aids in the quest, for myself anyway. One more tool in the chest...cant beat experiential education.

I've had this oddly shaped haft for awhile waiting for the right head. Even though the kerf was cut off to one side it turned out pretty good. Comfortable to swing and easy to choke up on. Here's a few prior to final hang but after I finished fitting the head for alignment and shaping the haft.
PieqhjH.jpg
TODfVOt.jpg

I can't see any tell tale signs of this being forge welded other than this apparent seam in the back of the eye. The groove it left can be seen here;
em8GN4X.jpg

CepjbZu.jpg
LKhulzq.jpg
abM5GRn.jpg
0BbCj6n.jpg

As I said before the tongue on this one left something to be desired. But the paper birch wedge is driven home hard so it will last.
JP45Hv3.jpg

And a couple pictures of the hardest steel I've ever seen on an a cutting implement. Nigh on 70hrc.
4Qupjxh.jpg
iJkNcsn.jpg

Have a great night everyone! :thumbsup:

Edit; in the photo of the eye if you look at the front of the eye you can see a small "crack". Evidence of older style assembly? It does appear that way. Curious to get feedback from you guys.

Last night I re-wedged the Woodslasher because it was pretty apparent that the BLO alone wasn't going to be enough, then let the head sit in a tray of BLO overnight.

I had to get creative, because I could not get the wedge in much without driving the head out no matter what I did.
Finally my solution was to stand the axe up on a piece of 2x4 and hold the head tightly down using a piece of rope with a foot loop in each end.
I was able to get the wedge in much further but not as much as I'd like so I chiseled in a spot for a cross wedge.

I'm still not positive that it's as tight as it really needs to be, but I didn't want to get too crazy and really just the fawns foot up.
Looks great!

I've had this oddly shaped haft for awhile waiting for the right head. Even though the kerf was cut off to one side it turned out pretty good. Comfortable to swing and easy to choke up on. Here's a few prior to final hang but after I finished fitting the head for alignment and shaping the haft.
PieqhjH.jpg
TODfVOt.jpg

I can't see any tell tale signs of this being forge welded other than this apparent seam in the back of the eye. The groove it left can be seen here;
em8GN4X.jpg

CepjbZu.jpg
LKhulzq.jpg
abM5GRn.jpg
0BbCj6n.jpg

As I said before the tongue on this one left something to be desired. But the paper birch wedge is driven home hard so it will last.
JP45Hv3.jpg

And a couple pictures of the hardest steel I've ever seen on an a cutting implement. Nigh on 70hrc.
4Qupjxh.jpg
iJkNcsn.jpg

Have a great night everyone! :thumbsup:

Edit; in the photo of the eye if you look at the front of the eye you can see a small "crack". Evidence of older style assembly? It does appear that way. Curious to get feedback from you guys.
Very nice, that right there is the exact style of hatchet that started my obsession LOL. I am still looking for one. Soon my friend, very soon. Looks amazing!

Stopped in at Hardwick's before work yesterday and picked up a few things (not pictured two double bit handles). I decided to purchase the Stanley 151 spokeshave based upon the Paul Sellers video and some of what I've been reading here. The file is a Schmidt and it's doing a really nice job of getting through the supper tough steel on my Plumb head for sharpening.

hardwicks_20190812.jpeg

Stopped in at Hardwick's before work yesterday and picked up a few things (not pictured two double bit handles). I decided to purchase the Stanley 151 spokeshave based upon the Paul Sellers video and some of what I've been reading here. The file is a Schmidt and it's doing a really nice job of getting through the supper tough steel on my Plumb head for sharpening.

hardwicks_20190812.jpeg
The file is a Schmidt and it's doing a really nice job of getting through the supper tough steel on my Plumb head for sharpening
That doesn't surprise me at all! That's a very aggressive pattern on that file. I haven't heard of that maker before? Let us know how it holds up over time will ya?
Also if you don't mind my being nosy, what is the brown stuff in the can? Leather treatment? Stain in an aerosol?

That doesn't surprise me at all! That's a very aggressive pattern on that file. I haven't heard of that maker before? Let us know how it holds up over time will ya?
Also if you don't mind my being nosy, what is the brown stuff in the can? Leather treatment? Stain in an aerosol?
Looks like leather “antiquing” stain. It will accentuate blemishes in the leather.

Looks like leather “antiquing” stain. It will accentuate blemishes in the leather.

I had no idea what make the file was before I bought it since the hand-written price tag was taped over that bit. The gentleman who was helping me, upon hearing what I needed for, first showed me a $55 file that he was recommending based on it being really hard. I knew that what I was looking for was something with more aggressive teeth and so we found that one. I'll definitely let folks know how well it holds up over time.

As Ithinkverydeeply noted, the stuff in the plastic bottle is Eco-Flo Gel Antique, a leather stain (specifically briar brown). It's a thick and gloopy substance that you rub into the leather, it settles down deeply into any dings, cuts, or blemishes, and then you buff it to remove the excess and give it some shine.

Using the posted diagram as a guide, I took some rough measurements of the Tennessee Hickory (36 in.) handle I've recently hung a head on.
handle_measurements.jpg

It's a bit smaller in some of the dimensions and a bit larger in some others.

This is exactly what I was just talking about in another thread. It was as though TH was trying to sell me their shelf stock as a custom haft. I wasn't buying.

hardwicks_20190812.jpeg
Just an FYI, maybe you wanted the steel wedges in the bags for your hammer handles, but they do have boxes of loose wedges for $.40.
412-F4-EF8-5127-464-D-A9-C5-C0755-E8-B3-B7-A.jpg

I had no idea what make the file was before I bought it since the hand-written price tag was taped over that bit. The gentleman who was helping me, upon hearing what I needed for, first showed me a $55 file that he was recommending based on it being really hard. I knew that what I was looking for was something with more aggressive teeth and so we found that one. I'll definitely let folks know how well it holds up over time.
That is a cool file! I wanted to buy a metal file there too but was overwhelmed by the selection and did not know which one to get..?
0268636-D-DC9-F-4-E67-9-DE3-E7-E16549-A9-B1.jpg

A536-BAFC-8-E66-48-E6-BDA5-143878-E78549.jpg

4359-AC24-D44-E-4-A09-8-F8-A-65-AAD8-F510-F0.jpg

465-E695-E-E094-4488-8988-A7222-D0992-A7.jpg

Still
Not sure which one to get.. where did he pull the $55 file from? These all seem cheap, lots of Simond’s...

..oh. I didn’t even look at the lower shelves in that file case?!?
07-D5-F8-B5-FDC0-41-E5-BD60-E19-A395-F0-A81.jpg

Back