What did you rehang today?

Pitted Connie Beauty patina beast

Bevels wicked this way come boys axe

20210426-105840.jpg

20210426-105847.jpg

20210426-105908.jpg

20210426-105857.jpg

:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today I finished up a pair of ball peens for my cousin, a 4oz and an 8oz.
( I just need to go back and take care of a little paint bleed on the 8oz )

For myself I wouldn't do a blued head and painted handle, but my cousin plans to become a gunsmith and this way his hammers will not get mixed up with anyone elses in the class when he starts his schooling .
Beyond just the bluing and the painted handles I have polished out both faces of each as well as giving the front faces of both a proper domed profile.

This is going to be one sweet pair if hammers.

When I see the straight Underhill lettering I think of AA&TC.

Trying out the new picture functionality of the site...

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2021-04-30 15-28-12.png
    Screenshot at 2021-04-30 15-28-12.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 2
That last linkage gives enough on technique to make some sense. Thanks a lot csa. Also a good read on the appeling industry as it was practiced right here in our own Grand Valley which I have some idea of since it was Tuesday that I've walked through the still closed up orchard museum there on North Rd. There they have the box making set-up all laid out to include an example of one of these hatchets - which I took for a dead normal lath hatchet in my pre-informed ignorance - in addition to original nails and the whole list of box making materials which gives a good sense of the use of that hatchet but more importantly to me personally, the inadequacy of that kind of axe for some Roof shingling work this summer which keeps me on the lookout for one of those axes.

Ok this is a long shot but someone from these forums family member owned this axe and their company stenciled the logo. Contact me if you want it back where it belongs. Hand carved the handle myself by the way

Back