What is the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world??

If you have a Sebenza, I will trade you a Buck 110, an Alox SAK, or an Opinel for it.
This is where the comparison stumbles... Seriously, nobody is ever going to do that.
Now a Case/Bose Stockman on the other hand... I can see somebody making that trade.

Last edited:
If you have a Sebenza, I will trade you a Buck 110, an Alox SAK, or an Opinel for it.
This is where the comparison stumbles... Seriously, nobody is ever going to do that.
Now a Case/Bose Stockman on the other hand... I can see somebody making that trade.
I think differently when attempting to answer this question. I place monetary value aside. I agree that the Buck 110 is the traditional equivalent to a modern CRK Sebenza.
The 110 is, as has been previously stated, an icon in the same manner as a Sebenza. They were both new designs upon their inception that added to the usability of folding knives. They were innovative and quickly copied. They could, and still can, be found in many a pocket or belt sheath despite newer options that have surpassed their designs and capabilities sometimes for the same or less money. The fact that one can still purchase a 110 in many variations decades after its introducton speaks volumes, as it will with the Sebenza.
There are “better” knives out there than either of these two. But they still sell.
Personally I have at times lusted after a Sebenza, but never pulled the trigger even when I carried moderns exclusively. I never felt they were worth the asking price for what you get, as sweet as they are(and they are sweet). And for the matter of trading.... there are knives in the modern facet of our hobby worth multiple Sebenzas that don’t really offer you much more.
You just can’t look at traditionals with modern eyes and wallets, it just don’t work.

This thread got me thinking some today. From my limited experience, the Case/Bose comparison works. Both my Sebenza and my C/B coffin give a different feel of quality. There is a solidity to their construction that I don't feel in most other knives. It is not hugely different, but it is different.

They are also both somewhat questionable values when it comes to their price differential over more "basic" options.

I have never held a fully custom knife, modern or traditional. So I can't compare upwards.

20181112_191833-1612x1209.jpg

I am going to say GEC #15 and #14 frames. 2 sizes just like a sebenza. The steel is standard fair and works perfectly and easy to maintain. You can easily find a standard issue without searching high and low. If you want fancy bolsters and covers and grail worthy, drool inducing models, look no further than any SFO built on the frame.

And just like a sebenza, not everyone likes it :p

You're forgetting one thing. Why would I trade three knives that I own and use for one that I wouldn't carry or use?

This thread got me thinking some today. From my limited experience, the Case/Bose comparison works. Both my Sebenza and my C/B coffin give a different feel of quality. There is a solidity to their construction that I don't feel in most other knives. It is not hugely different, but it is different.
I was waiting for somebody to slip up and post a picture of the Sebenza.

There is one thing that CRK has in the Sebenza we can thank our Gods does not exist in the traditional knife world...a fixed retail price! CRK started their price fixing a number of years ago, their fans screamed but CRK successfully policed their small pool of dealers. The only price break on a new Sebenza might be free shipping :(

They are also both somewhat questionable values when it comes to their price differential over more "basic" options.

I have never held a fully custom knife, modern or traditional. So I can't compare upwards.

View attachment 1019521

I have handled knives from some of the top and in some cases most iconic custom makers from both genre and I assure you CRK and Case Bose are both in their own right a tremendous value and truly can hold their own regardless of classification. I have a full custom diamond edge cattle knife coming this week and to be honest I'm a bit nervous it won't outshine my Case Bose Cattle Knife.

There is one thing that CRK has in the Sebenza we can thank our Gods does not exist in the traditional knife world...a fixed retail price! CRK started their price fixing a number of years ago, their fans screamed but CRK successfully policed their small pool of dealers. The only price break on a new Sebenza might be free shipping :(
I had to look up the going prices on them and it is pretty hard to believe their prices for product , that in my eyes , obviously machined and hand assembled only with very little hand work . Oh well .

Harry

Last edited:
You just can’t look at traditionals with modern eyes and wallets, it just don’t work.

Well said.
This thread is making us think, which is good... but not sure there's a good answer, at least in a folder. It's apples and oranges, isn't it?
I mean traditionals were designed for working folks because that's who used them: farmers, hunters, sportsmen, or folks who needed a knife as a tool. A huge number of people carried them. Form followed function.
A Sebenza is made for a niche market. Form follows something else-- possibilities maybe. Just because the maker can.

This thread could be posed another way:
The Bugatti is the pinnacle performance automobile using top materials, engineering and processes. Just curious... what's it's equivalent in a pickup?

Last edited:
Well said.
This thread is making us think, which is good... but not sure there's a good answer, at least in a folder. It's apples and oranges, isn't it?
I mean traditionals were designed for working folks because that's who used them: farmers, hunters, sportsmen, or folks who needed a knife as a tool. A huge number of people carried them. From followed function.
A Sebenza is made for a niche market. From follows something else-- possibilities maybe. Just because the maker can.

The Bugatti is the pinnacle performance automobile using top materials engineering and processes. Just curious... what's it's equivalent in a pickup?
You're kidding about the Bugatti aren't you? It's one claim to fame is top speed and it's not even the fastest.

Well said.
I mean traditionals were designed for working folks because that's who used them: farmers, hunters, sportsmen, or folks who needed a knife as a tool. A huge number of people carried them. Form followed function.
A Sebenza is made for a niche market. Form follows something else-- possibilities maybe. Just because the maker can.

The Bugatti is the pinnacle performance automobile using top materials, engineering and processes. Just curious... what's it's equivalent in a pickup?
You're kidding about the Bugatti aren't you? It's one claim to fame is top speed and it's not even the fastest.
Yes the car analogies don’t exactly work for me on this subject either(but I’ll take my F150 any day of the week and twice on Sunday)... it’s more like saying such and such burgers are my favorite, what’s the equivalent in a pizza joint. Both are food, but how do you compare them without going abstract?

Feel free to substitute any uber performance car of your choice
Well for straight away acceleration as much as I don't like them nothing beats the instant torque of a Tesla. As far as a track car the list is endless. I don't know how we sunk to knocking supercars in a knife comparison. Let's just say there are lots of excellent knives at different price points.

If we aren't comparing strictly on price then there sre some really nice quality folders, a lot with excellent fit and finish and function. There are a lot of custom traditional folders that are in the same price range as CRKs that are outstanding. Im more than satisfied with production folders and will probably never be in the market for a CRK but would be for a high end traditional folder.

I have yet to see in person a traditional that just feels quality like my CR knives. However, I'll take a stab.

I have never seen a Case Bose in person so I can't comment on those.

If you want a lockback, Moki is far superior to anything else I have seen.

As others have mentioned, the Lionsteel barlows that Mike sells are pretty good. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Viper EO, it oozes quality more than the Lionsteel.

sure, if someone offered their sebenza for my 110 id take it. But then Id sell it. The only reason that trade seems ludicrous is the price. I thought we were comparing the knives themselves. Obviously the price is vastly different. Thats a point for buck in my opinion. I guess that it seems like the closest traditional to the sebenza to me both for the reasons I stated in my earlier post and for the fact that when I had briefly considered buying a sebenza, I decided the 110 actually checked all the boxes for me and just carried it for a few days, got over it, and saved the 400 bucks or whatever people actually end up paying for them. Didn't they used to call a 110 with one of those kwik-thumb studs on it a Buck-benza? I mean, the similarities have been noted long before this thread.
I guess there is one reason i will gladly offer up that its not a good comparison. you'll probably see 50 buck 110s on strangers belts before you see one sebenza clipped to their pocket. Ive never seen one in actual use or even clipped to a pocket. Only in a store display or pictures on the web. I think the buck 110 is what the sebenza would be if it were produced for similar money. I know people rave about the quality of the sebenza but when I was at the store with it in my hand, a 110 and 370 dollars in my pocket was more appealing. Only a small subset of knife nuts buy sebenzas as far as I can tell. The knives seem similar, but the price point holds the sebenza back from ever really being the modern equivalent to the 110.

Back