What kind of folder do you carry?

I used to carry a Kit Carson small Model 21, that model has a coping blade. It's probably the best design for everyday use. Now I work from home and my EDC is a Spyderco Military, for dress a Reese Bose Wharncliffe Trapper.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Because of where I live and work, I usually stick with small traditional folders. Around the house or outdoors I carry a fixed blade +/- a modern folder. My latest folder purchase is the spyderco advocate, which has a lot of features that I would like to see in a CPK folder:

Not-too-thick and not-too-thin 0.12" stock with a high grind.
Narrow blade profile with a fine, centered, useful point & not too much belly.
Lightweight considering the materials and size.
Good overall ergonomics, at least for light use.

I can take or leave the flipper and the handle finish. Some things I don't like:

Bad pivot design with tiny bearings. I prefer washers.
Slim handle without much contour, and uncomfortable for my hand when gripped tightly.

Overall, the materials and the design fit my needs well. Of course I would like to see a CPK folder that includes some of these features and design philosophy.

But, you know, this spyderco advocate is just another of many modern tactical flippers. Just my opinion, and nobody here would complain if the upcoming CPK flipper is another standard modern tactical flipper. But I am really impressed by the two CPK knives I own, and I am excited by the possibility that you will produce something really new and innovative in this upcoming design.

Last edited:
my folder patterns seem to work out well for Bruce Bingenheimer, and I think this one's my favourite. We call it Roundhouse, (like the coastal 1st nations structure) and he gifted this one to me. It's a hell of a gift :)

I've been carrying it, but not really using it. Sad! But I love opening and closing it, it's so smooth and snappy and it has a nice feel to it. Maybe it's the wood scales that keep me from using it, or the beauty hand rubbed finish. Whatever it is, I hope I get over it

Anyway, I just realized this ole post had broken links to the photos, so I figured I'd just update it

Last edited:
Bing's working on a couple of Loriendesigned Roundhouse flippers at the moment. It's always exciting to get pictures like this

I'm really liking the design Lorien!
It looks great, and I suppose it's no accident that the scales are similar to the CPK EDC.

Lorien, beautiful!

coiledwire, that too is in my pocket these days. My cheapest Shiro by far, but absolutely mechanically perfect, smooth as glass and an amazing EDC knife.

These are my favorites:

Pardon my ignorance ZmbHntr, but who makes those folders? The one with the spear tip gave me a serious tingle!

Pardon my ignorance ZmbHntr, but who makes those folders? The one with the spear tip gave me a serious tingle!

It' not ignorance at all, I should have listed what they were to begin with. I've collected folding knives pretty hard for the last year and have gone through quite a lot of them, and these are my favorites thus far. That being said, many days I carry my Chris Reeve Sebenza 25 or Benchmade 940 Osborne, because I don't mind abusing them. These ones are more special and don't see overly heavy duty use (although they are all built for heavy use minus the armor core San Mai blade on the JacksonSD). My tastes in custom knives tend to run more towards the overbuilt side of things.

1. Dalibor Draco. This one is integral (the handle is sculpted out of a single piece of titanium).
  2. Borka Stitch
  3. Custom Chaves Redencion
  4. Cobalt Customs JacksonSD

Very, very nice and exquisite items indeed. Thank you for sharing that info although a quick Googliedoodledoo search showed me that I ought to firmly stay on my own financial lane :D

Very, very nice and exquisite items indeed. Thank you for sharing that info although a quick Googliedoodledoo search showed me that I ought to firmly stay on my own financial lane :D

Thanks. Yeah, secondary market prices are pretty crazy with these makers knives (as well as many other custom knife makers). To keep costs down the key is getting on the makers books, which is unfortunately not an easy thing to do either. I was on Ramon Chavez list for a couple years before getting my knife, and I just got lucky to win a FB lottery to get on Cobalt Custom's books.

Thanks. Yeah, secondary market prices are pretty crazy with these makers knives (as well as many other custom knife makers). To keep costs down the key is getting on the makers books, which is unfortunately not an easy thing to do either. I was on Ramon Chavez list for a couple years before getting my knife, and I just got lucky to win a FB lottery to get on Cobalt Custom's books.

The great thing about forums like this one is that people are prepared to share their experiences and their information. I really appreciate all the tips and all the great friends and other contributors I have met both on the Carothers' and also the Survive!'s sub forum where I started from about a year ago. Thank you to all you guys plus JoJo/Ellie (the real pant wearing bosses) :)

Back