What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

I wonder about the reasoning (lack of logic?) behind some of the legislation, eg. the restrictions on Axis locks. Why?

OK, I understand someone getting their granny panties in a bunch over 'evil' switchblades and balisongs, or anything that opens faster or looks more intimidating than some scaredy cats can tolerate (understand, not condone), but what possible reason do they have for restrictions on locking mechanisms?
when the axis lock is disengaged the blade pivots freely, meaning that the knife can be swung open without manipulating the blade. 'Wrist flick' has recently been expanded upon, and now includes 'vigorous' arm movement

when the axis lock is disengaged the blade pivots freely, meaning that the knife can be swung open without manipulating the blade. 'Wrist flick' has recently been expanded upon, and now includes 'vigorous' arm movement
Wow.

So basically, the NY definition (if someone can vigorously flail the thing around 50 times, and the blade pops open ONCE, it can be considered a gravity knife).

my reading of the recent case law pretty much confirms that

When it comes to knife design there is a part of me that wants to just puff out like a grumpy pufferfish and say "humans and human ancestors have used cutting implements for 3 million years, what kind of crazy world are we living in that people think that humans suddenly no longer need to use our oldest type of tool. Who cares what the laws are in stupid places that want people to be reduced to the floating chair blobs from Wall-E!"

But then the rest of me thinks that it is important to bear in mind the legal limitations that so many of us face. I know that my last big knife purchase was motivated by the possibility that I might move to Boston (that looks like it is off the table, somewhat to my relief) and I needed to find a knife that would meet my needs without being a locking knife. The idea rankled me, but it was a real concern. Obviously, a CPK folder is not likely to meet those kind of non-locking requirements, but bearing some of the more common laws in slightly less restrictive places is important. Our Canadian brethren should not be denied sweet CPK goodness just because of bad laws.

Wow.

So basically, the NY definition (if someone can vigorously flail the thing around 50 times, and the blade pops open ONCE, it can be considered a gravity knife).

Almost any folder is illegal to import into Canada at the moment.

If you can pinch the blade and flip the handle open, that’s still opening one handed. Even most models of Swiss Army knife can open like that.

Sadly from what I have been reading they are correct ... most any knife can fall into this crazy "interpretation" of the law.

Almost any folder is illegal to import into Canada at the moment.

If you can pinch the blade and flip the handle open, that’s still opening one handed. Even most models of Swiss Army knife can open like that.

You can get around that by shipping the blade and the knife body in separate packages, or so I've heard.

well, it's not gotten to the point where there is a blanket ban on folding knives coming into Canada from the US. Like knife carry laws in Canada, the CBSA has left a certain amount of discretion in their rulings to their agents. I doubt most CBSA agents have implicit bias against folding knives in general, but their asses are most certainly covered if they decide to block any folding knife coming into the country. One hand open and close knives, (like sebenza) shouldn't be a problem and I did just receive that Ontario folder with zero problems

Gotta think of a workaround. Maybe design a knife handle that's like one of those stress balls toys where the eyes pop out, only on this one you squeeze it and a knife blade sticks out, then it retracts back in when you stop squeezing it. So nothing folds. Oh or, you get a knife blade that rolls up like a snap bracelet, instead of folding, and you push through a part of the handle to tension the blade straight. Or a knife with a battery pack and a blade made out of plasma?

Anyway, I just peeped the Canadian "centrifugal knife" law (no knife opens by centrifugal force, which is an observed force; it would be centripetal force that operates to open the blade but in actuality in the way they "test" them it is inertia opening the blade--carry a first year physics book with your folders) and it only applies to locking blades. Living in NY under the same restriction is what got me into slip joints and fixed blades.

Gotta think of a workaround. Maybe design a knife handle that's like one of those stress balls toys where the eyes pop out, only on this one you squeeze it and a knife blade sticks out, then it retracts back in when you stop squeezing it..
Initially sounds interesting, until you get stabbed in the 'nads when you squat down to pick something up, and your pants tighten.

Initially sounds interesting, until you get stabbed in the 'nads when you squat down to pick something up, and your pants tighten.
Yeah, you'd have to have some kind of safety, maybe a physical latch that just caps the blade and blocks it from coming out, or rigid framework surrounding the squishy that somehow permits you to still squeeze it. Or something that toggles whether the squishy engages to push the blade. Oh as I've typed I've actually begun envisioning something.

c5c57f77-0bcf-4a17-b8c7-c5c34b7812f4-jpeg.1095056

You shall now be known as Mr. Ergonomics

Back