What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Between the three new (to you) Barlows and all that hot sauce, you might be feeling better in a jiffy, Barrett ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;)☺️
I hope so, anyway.

Thanks! We’re all doing pretty good, back to normal soon enough I hope. :thumbsup:

That's a fine haul for one week Barrett. Beautiful.

Thanks, Dwight. It’s been a pretty good week… at least as far as Barlows are concerned. 😉 And to finish it off, one more showed up today!

TMjplTm.jpg

Let me start by saying that I have not read the last 10 years and 1187 pages worth of posts. Nonetheless, I hope y'all will indulge me in a couple of newbie questions about Barlows. The title of this thread is "What makes a good traditional Barlow?" Now y'all have me wondering exactly that. What, precisely, makes a knife a "Barlow?" Growing up, I was under the impression that Barlow was a brand, but I can see that many knifemakers have made Barlows, so that's clearly not the only definition. Is it the shape of the handle? Because I have seen several blade shapes in this thread. I've done a little internet research, for whatever that's worth, but I figured this was really the place, and y'all are really the people, to ask. Thanks in advance.

Let me start by saying that I have not read the last 10 years and 1187 pages worth of posts. Nonetheless, I hope y'all will indulge me in a couple of newbie questions about Barlows. The title of this thread is "What makes a good traditional Barlow?" Now y'all have me wondering exactly that. What, precisely, makes a knife a "Barlow?" Growing up, I was under the impression that Barlow was a brand, but I can see that many knifemakers have made Barlows, so that's clearly not the only definition. Is it the shape of the handle? Because I have seen several blade shapes in this thread. I've done a little internet research, for whatever that's worth, but I figured this was really the place, and y'all are really the people, to ask. Thanks in advance.
Start reading this thread from page 1!! Best way to understand the subject is to review the history, and the many opinions that everyone has posted here!! "Barlow" has been defined at least a dozen times in this thread!!

Back