What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Growing up, I was under the impression that Barlow was a brand, but I can see that many knifemakers have made Barlows, so that's clearly not the only definition.
This is an example of where you may have gotten that impression Spats. Some manufacturers used Barlow as the bolster stamp, which I believe causes confusion for some.

Think of a Barlow as a pattern, not a brand. ;)

Made by Colonial, but, stamped Barlow. There are others. ;)☺️

View attachment 1827567
View attachment 1827568

Last edited:
Start reading this thread from page 1!! Best way to understand the subject is to review the history, and the many opinions that everyone has posted here!! "Barlow" has been defined at least a dozen times in this thread!!
While I realize that, in theory, you are correct, my problem will be finding time to read an almost-1200 page thread.

Okay, I found this with a Knife Dealer I had not heard of (and won't mention) for $20. Brand new. Queen. Well, the very nice box says Queen, and the branding on the knife is Queen, but there are also Queen City knives for sale, so not sure. about the provenance....but the quality is as good as Case if not better. For $20.

IMG_2544.JPG

I'm looking at the grinds, the threaded bolsters, the jigged bone, the pin finishing, and the shield inletting... and I'm just not seeing what you're seeing... but I'm glad you like your knife. 🤠 :thumbsup:
Well, to be fair I'm comparing it to a new Case. lol. It seems pretty good to me, but I'm not an expert on traditional (or any knife). At least i can actually use it without worrying about decreasing its value on the exchange.

Back