What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

IMG_20180309_120108052.jpg

IMG_20180309_120028880.jpg

IMG_20180309_120121615_HDR.jpg

To the best of my knowledge that `09 Forum Barlow is the first knife to carry both the Queen "crown" and S&M tang stamp....even though all the modern S&M knives also stamped Queen Cutlery on the pile side. Also I believe this Barlow is the first Schatt and Morgan stamped D-2 knife......If someone knows of any others please let me know!!

Dave

This Queen model 22 from 1961-1971 is a cousin of the trio of 1972 model 22s that I posted on Friday (post #16919). Not only is it a shade older, but it has the aluminum frame covering the spring backs. It also has a slight light/dark covers clash. apologies for reflections in the blades (the sun wouldn't stay still).

lQJPQA9.jpg

4uizkqJ.jpg

jg3KVFR.jpg

w1EV9fl.jpg

- Stuart

Note, some of these knives have hammered pins, as opposed to "spun" pins, attesting to their respective eras! They look so good on simple saw-cut bone handles don't you think??

Would you be so kind as to identify a good example of each in the pics for comparison. Thanks!

This past Friday and Monday, I posted some Queen model 22 clip barlows. Today, I have a pair of model 23 spear barlows. Both have aluminum frames with covered spring backs. One from 1961-1971 is wearing brown saw cut bone covers and has the patent no. 2728139 on the main. The other from 1955-1957 has Frontier (Queen's name for the "new" Winterbottom jigging from 1947 until around 1968) bone covers. It does not have a patent no., but has PENDING stamped on the main blade pile-side tang and has a paper QUEEN tab taped to the mark-side of the main, in lieu of the model 23 etch.

OniFgug.jpg

TTULfjB.jpg

qRKTrJz.jpg

4itQO9a.jpg

- Stuart

Today, I have a couple of Queen model 25 Bench Barlows with their distinctive razor mains. They, too, have aluminum frames with covered backsprings. The darker one is a daily user (along with my Imperial and Sabre barlows), so chosen because the covers had already been slightly marred by a misaligned bottom pinhole. Oh, well, the knife works fine. That one is from 1973-1975 and has what appears to be Delrin covers, the other from 1958-1960 and has sawn bone.

evhhdof.jpg

LNUATvj.jpg

wOkClxg.jpg

cwqtVki.jpg

- Stuart

Today, I have a couple of Queen model 25 Bench Barlows with their distinctive razor mains. They, too, have aluminum frames with covered backsprings. The darker one is a daily user (along with my Imperial and Sabre barlows), so chosen because the covers had already been slightly marred by a misaligned bottom pinhole. Oh, well, the knife works fine. That one is from 1973-1975 and has what appears to be Delrin covers, the other from 1958-1960 and has sawn bone.

evhhdof.jpg

LNUATvj.jpg

wOkClxg.jpg

cwqtVki.jpg

- Stuart

Stuart, you have put together a very nice collection of aluminum framed Queens, those with natural handles are not easy to find.

Boy, there are some nice knives in this thread!! These are the last of my aluminum framed Queen barlows to be posted: a pair of model 27 Sheepfoot Barlows, both from 1958-1960. Some prior owner used a felt-tip marker to add their initials (TO) to the mark side cover of the brown saw cut bone one. Until I find a friend with those initials, I'm using it as an EDC.

ujQowdW.jpg

NkWC7EH.jpg

MDXyRAy.jpg

- Stuart

Stuart, since the pile side of the marked sawcut is darker anyway, I think I'd take some dark brown dye to that mark side and "erase" the initials. A diligently applied Q-Tip should do the trick nicely.

black mamba black mamba I've thought of that, Jeff, and appreciate the encouragement. It will be easier than looking for a new friend with the appropriate initials.
- Stuart

Back