What specs are major turn-offs?

What spectacles are the biggest turnoff? Why, those would be BCGs - birth control glasses, of course! Issued to recruits in boot camp for decades, the glasses so ugly you’ll never need to worry about getting a date at all, let alone an unexpected bundle-O-joy!

Pocket clips. Nothing worse than seeing one hanging out of someone's pants, especially a good pair of slacks. Worse, they're damned uncomfortable if you really need to use the knife for any length of time. An ergonomic grip with a clip on it is a complete fail. If you need to keep your knife high in your pocket a simple line of stitches does the job without the "tell' a clip gives.
Remember that in some states you cannot conceal carry and part of the knife needs to be seen

1)cheap steel
2)serrated
3)spring assisted
4)tip down
5)Chinese factory produced
6)unusable sharpening choir
7)overly aggressive handle material
8)sharp thumbstuds
9)bad detents +action
10)perpriatary hardware
11)zombie killer colors
12)stupid looking clips
13)cheaply coated blades
14)locktited hardware.
15)no disassembly warranty
16)bad blade centering/lockup
17) Chisel ground.
Just the ones off the top of my head.

Some of my pet peeves:
  • Fully serrated blades.
  • Recurved edges.
  • Anything etched or engraved on the blade (logos, company names, etc.)
  • $20 "Damascus" blades.

Some of my pet peeves:
  • Anything etched or engraved on the blade (logos, company names, etc.)

I would have to agree. Many companies like to make their knives into portable billboards.

I can live with the company name, blade steel, country of origin, and model number on the hilt of the blade. In small letters, of course. Leave the main part of the blade free from etchings, logos, engravings, etc..

Not a fan of and typically steer clear of

Serrations
Recurves
Over $600
Any steel under s30v
Over 6 oz in weight
Autos
Lockbacks
Over 3.75 inch blades
Under 2.75 inch blades

That is pretty much it.

No serrations, G-10/Carbon Fiber on one side and Titanium on the other...both sides must match, logos like billboards on the blade.

Any fixed blade with a paracord handle
Difficult to open slipjoints
Improperly executed sharpening choils
No sharpening choil
Recurves
Serrations
Cf laminate over g10
Exposed cutting edge when closed
Most tantos
Super wide in pocket folders
Clips that dont touch the scale
Super aggressive texture under a clip
Pinned construction on modern folders

Edge bevels that thicken at the tip significantly due to lack of taper in the grind

Flipper tabs that point upwards when closed
Exposed lock face when knife is closed
Seat belt cutters
Glass breakers
Non standard hardware
Sharp edges other than the cutting edge
Framelocks with un chamfered lockbars

Frame or liner locks without enough relief to get your thumb on the lockbar easily

1: serrated or half serrated.
2: finger choil cut from the blade.
3: chisel grind.
4: lanyard hole (sadly this is just too overused and can't really avoid it)
5: a ''wave'' or other weapon focused feature.
6: knives that are made to be used as weapons.
7: overly light knives. especially when they are made just to be light. some milling is fine, but a knife should weigh atleast 10 gram per CM of blade.
8: tip down only.
9: assisted.
10: automatic.
11: cheap materials that don't match the price tag, like plastic handles on anything over €20 (looking at you benchmade)
12: 2 handed locks in non traditional knives.
13: bad clips. ( massive clips, weird clips, tiny clips, ugly clips. )
14: special screws.
15: liner or frame locks where the liner or frame is sharp so every time you unlock it it hurts.
16: bad thumb studs (looking at you CRK)
17: weak detents. (looking at you Kizer)
18: brands that take too much pride in where they are located (allthough i love my ZT knives, i could care less where your factory is, i can't use the warrenty anyway)

none of these mean i would never buy this, but if a knife hits too many of these, especially the ones near the top, i'm not buying it.

Last edited:
My statement regarding the length of the blade in the folder has nothing to do with the legality of the larger blade. IMHO blades that are over 3.75 have no practical use in a folder while adding unnecessary length, weight, and bulk. ie 3.75" blade in a folder can handle 100% of the tasks of 4" blade. If I need a larger knife I will grab a fixed blade. But YMMV if you want to schlep around a large folder go right ahead (I never said you cannot do it).

PS: if you must know, despite me being from NYC, I am pro-gun since it is not the business of the government to tell a grown ass man what he can or cannot do.

Thank you for your thoughts. The handle alone on one of my favorite folders is larger than some of my other folders when they're opened up. For that matter, the XL Voyager I like so much is less size-efficient than my Buck Pathfinder fixed blade, but the Voyager is easier to tote around. The Voyager's folded bulk isn't a big deal for me most of the time, and the weight is negligible considering the overall utility I get out of it. And the fun.

iQ428xq.png

Personally I can't wait for the "Harpoon" style to go the way of the dodo.

I dont really like assisted opening anymore. And a folder over 3.5 has to be freaking awesome for me to get it.

Back