What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. BigBiscuit

BigBiscuit

Dec 11, 2014
    Thanks fellas. The knife is an A. Wright & Sons from Sheffield. This one was gifted by our own Jack Black. The nail nick is small on the blade, but Jack hand picked this one because he had never seen one with a bail shackle. It's a very comfortable carry. I had a Sheepsfoot A. Wright in the past, but I was very unhappy with the quality. Not so with this one. Much better quality. Thank you Jack. :D

2. Ryouchijtx

Ryouchijtx

Oct 26, 2011
    Great action shot Chris with your newly acquired SBJ from Ken :)

That red bone is sublime Ron

That is some lovely Pearl Jack.

Talking knives tell no tales GT :X Liking the yellow. Had some yellow on me today

Played more with some fill light today to take away the shadows and bring some dynamic range to this carry today in photo.

[​IMG]

3. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Will - Thank you for the well wishes on my beginning search for a Dixie. I remember seeing that Northfield of yours and it is a sleek beauty for sure. I will keep it in mind. Always a pleasure to see that Knarly Stag 83 of yours! :thumbup:

GT - Thank you Gary for the compliment on my Red Bone.:thumbup:

Tim - It appears that you were in good company today as well, my friend. :thumbup:

4. JOELSM

JOELSM Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2007
  5. TsarBomba

TsarBomba Banned BANNED

Jan 10, 2015
    A quick browse, then bed. Not enjoying this new pattern one bit... :grumpy:

For Synthetic Sunday, three Delrin offerings from Camillus, Queen and Case rode with me:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  6. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    I really like this nice little blade. The fit is good, the finish is not the best, but they do not limit the usefullness of the knife. It seems I wander back and forth between more modern knives and traditional ones.

[​IMG]

7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    :) :thumbup:

I'm very pleased you're liking it Bob. The nail nick is small I think, probably hand-struck, feel free to improve things ;) I find with this firm, you really do need to choose their knives over the counter, if that's possible :thumbup:

Thanks Tim :thumbup:

Most definitely :thumbup:

Carrying these two today :) Have a good week everyone :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got out for the first time this spring lol dogs needed the exercise...so did I! :D

9. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

I love these old Barlow's.

10. pmew

pmew

Oct 2, 2011
    Chris, your beverage business Ken Coats is a super looking knife :)

Jack, love the 25. I wholeheartedly approve.

I'm re-united with two old buddies today as I set off to collect Finlay from the kennels and carry my favourite (and my 2nd GEC), my 61.

[​IMG]

11. BladeCommander

BladeCommander

Nov 13, 2012

Can't blame you, cause neither have I.
    [​IMG]

12. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    such a fun little knife

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. KYenglish

KYenglish

Nov 26, 2010
    Opinle n9 and stockman, simply marked 'high carbon steel'

[​IMG]

14. KYenglish

KYenglish

Nov 26, 2010
    Looking good, wiksonhome :thumbup:

15. JSCHENK

JSCHENK

Aug 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

16. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Not sure why, but a couple days ago I got the urge to dive into my cigar box full of knives and dig out this old U.S.-made Schrade Old Timer 33OT. It belonged to my grandfather and I got it when he passed away in the early '90s. It had been a gift to him and was still in mint condition since he never carried it (he only had one arm and thus hadn't carried a folding pocketknife since WWII).

Off and on over the years I've carried this knife for long stretches.

And back in 8th grade, I traded a cheapo Pakistani lockback to a kid on my football team for one just like it. THAT knife I carried straight on through my first year of college, when some @#%&@#$%$* stole it from my dorm room.

At any rate, there's something so wonderful and honest about these made-to-work carbon steel Old Timers. When I was a kid, they were really a go-to knife in our area for anyone who didn't want to carry a Buck 110 on his belt. Guys back then -- and I mean guys, not knife knut guys -- still seemed to understand and appreciate a good carbon steel blade (maybe it was the cool commercials). Anyway, I ramble on ..... but I thought you'd appreciate getting a look at my old pal.

[​IMG]

-- Mark

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Seeing your stag 83 is always a treat, Will! :thumbup:

The photos sure work for me, Travman; I'm astonished by the "bull's eye" grain on your Barlow! :eek::cool:

Thanks for the details, Bob. :) Fine knife in it's own right, and even more special considering the source! :cool:

Thanks, Tim. :) The bolded sentence means nothing to a photography philistine like me, but I sure like the knife and pic! :rolleyes:

The autumn bone may not be seasonal, but it's sensational! :thumbup: Great knives, JOEL and BC!

Nice ones, TB! :thumbup: As one might expect, I'm especially taken with that flaming Camillus canoe! :D

Tremendous twosome, Jack! :thumbup: The stag Forum knife is always a welcome sight!

I can see why, Randy; classic! :cool:

Good to hear that you had a safe and enjoyable holiday, Paul; I enjoyed your SAK/Opinel vacation story in a different thread. :cool: Fine shot of your green 61!

Wow! Handsome handles on the Opinel! :thumbup:

Excellent photo, knife, and story behind it, Mark! :cool:

This week my knife carry schedule "turns over"; I've made it all the way through the 12-week cycle of 8 knives per week (plus 2 for the kitchen) I've laid out for myself, so this week I start over. ;)
    SAK of the week is a Recruit; I don't know if this is historically accurate, but I tend to think of the Recruit as the "ancestor" from which the SAKs with more tools have evolved:
    [​IMG]

Also carrying this Sanrenmu as my nonSAK knife with bail with my keys this week:
    [​IMG]

My stockman of the week is a Kingston cattle knife:
    [​IMG]

Hope to post pics of other knives in this week's carry later this week.

- GT

18. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks GT! The double SAK day was fun, and an unusually heavy cutting day for me as I was helping an uncle with a home project. I think I was a good ambassador as he bought himself a Super Tinker on Saturday :). LOVE the ALOX show GT! :thumbup:

A sort of matching pair for me today.

[​IMG]

19. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Nice cattle knife GT, and thanks for your comments this weekend.

For the 3rd day of Sowbelllies, the Northwoods hopped into the pocket today.

[​IMG]

20. mitch4ging

mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    Such great looking knives this morning!

My carry today...can't stop grinning...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]