What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Every time I see one of those Lick Creeks I have to stop and admire it. Man that's a fine looking knife, Paul.

Thank you Gary, it's a pattern that has totally consumed me. Today a very nice fellow forum member led me to a Orchard Gem in antique yellow bone...which I purchased and is headed this way:eek::):thumbup:

Man, apparently they really don't make them like they used to... very hard 440c, full steel frame, micarta inlays! I wish Buck still used the same quality in materials and craftsmanship...

20170204_200928.jpg

Thanks Harry! I like the variety that the 74's have had,very nice run in which there is something for everybody.

I have my underphotographed HJ9 in my pocket currently, but I'm going to swap it out for an IXL penknife later (having a posh night out in leafy Harrogate - dinner and theatre). Hope everyone has a great weekend :thumbup:

Both beautiful knives, Jack! I don't really have any "fancy" knives like that IXL, but I also generally avoid most "fancy" situations. If a suit and tie are required, I most likely don't belong there. :D

I had my Ebony #74 in my pocket today. Made a Saturday trip to one of our favorite flea markets. Didn't find any old knives worth buying, but I did pick up this Colonial bottle opener.

312A335C-77FD-465B-8B20-673944FD94F8.jpg

1DBCE92B-4865-43D5-8D32-265138D3DA5B.jpg

What a great piece. More pics please

Thank you very much for the compliment, Tim :thumbup: I will get some more pics of it a few days. Its raining here and it does need more work.

I was just trying to capture that feeling when you first get an old knife and begin to rescue it. Admiring it age, craftsmanship,and beauty, Discerning it's story from the layers of dirt and grime, dents and scratches, rust pattern, and patina. The feeling of getting your hands dirty, cleaning, restoring, contemplating, meditating. Ah...what a joy:D

Gary (GT)

Thank you so much for your kind words! May your week be filled with wonderment and bewilderment. Great weeks pocketfulls :D

Last edited:
Man, apparently they really don't make them like they used to... very hard 440c, full steel frame, micarta inlays! I wish Buck still used the same quality in materials and craftsmanship...

20170204_200928.jpg

That 501's a beauty, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one. What era is that one from?

Just in today, an aluminum frame 110... actually my first 110 ;). A really nice piece, and even serial number 42 as I requested :)

~Chip

Gary ( 5Q ) Haha, no steel belts but it does have extra flat protection. :D That Case Humpback Whittler has G10 covers.

WValtakis, Congrats on your 110 and that Ohta whittler is beautiful!

Today
32562550132_f8f9856648_b.jpg

That 501's a beauty, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one. What era is that one from?

Just in today, an aluminum frame 110... actually my first 110 ;). A really nice piece, and even serial number 42 as I requested :)

~Chip

Gorgeous Ohta! How is the aluminum 110? I've been looking at them but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up...

The 501 is pre 1981. I believe, if it has micarta and the script "Buck" stamp, its full steel and 440c. Some time after 1981 they switched to wood and 425m. There are several up on auction at any given time. I got this one pretty cheap but it was in rough shape cosmetically

Gary ( 5Q ) Haha, no steel belts but it does have extra flat protection. :D That Case Humpback Whittler has G10 covers.

WValtakis, Congrats on your 110 and that Ohta whittler is beautiful!

Today
32562550132_f8f9856648_b.jpg

I admire that Black Box! Fine composition too.

Thanks, Will

Now that's an elegant knife. And what a wonderful advert photo from the pages of Jack Black Lifestyle magazine! ;)

Have a wonderful evening!

Just dripping with class my friend. 🤙🤙

Dripping with class indeed...wow:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Both beautiful knives, Jack! I don't really have any "fancy" knives like that IXL, but I also generally avoid most "fancy" situations. If a suit and tie are required, I most likely don't belong there. :D

Thanks a lot guys :) I must admit Barrett, I scrub up less often as I get older! :D Or maybe we just live in more casual times. I even got away with an open-collar at Harrogate's best restaurant last night, and a trip to their beautiful 19th century theatre :)

Thanks, Jack & Dee & Shawn. :) Not sure I'm ready for EVERYTHING, but if civilization suddenly collapses and we're reduced to a "barter with blades" economy, I'll be well-positioned for success! :rolleyes:

Your BF knife and your monogrammed pocket slip are outstanding, but it's the luminous lambsfoot that always transfixes me when it appears!! Unforgettable! :thumbup::eek::thumbup:

Decidedly dapper, Jack!!

G5V5J9Y.jpg

LOL! :D Thanks GT, make sure you enter my giveaway :) Always nice to see your super Lambsfoot :thumbup:

I finally got around to making a good leather sheath for my imperial h6 so that's what I'm totin' today.

Nice work :thumbup:

Back to reality today - I've got some grotty DIY jobs to do in the house :rolleyes: THink this Camillus TL-29 will come in handy :thumbup:

Have a great Sunday everyone :) :thumbup:

Back