1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    You are unlikely to be disappointed either Alan, the Slim 66 is a very effective carry.

Regards, Will

Half/Stop likes this.
  2. Pondoro2310

Pondoro2310

Apr 13, 2014
    I keep a non-traditional Buck Vantage in my right pocket. In my left pocket I let these guys take turns. Obviously if I think a bottle may need to be opened that limits the field to one that can perform that task.
    [​IMG]

willard0341 and TFBraden like this.
  3. Macchina

Macchina

Apr 7, 2006
    A Hardy Barlow for a weekend at the cabin:

[​IMG]

glennbad, MJ71, Gevonovich and 8 others like this.
  4. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Jeff! Your Hornet Stockman is quite a beautiful knife also my friend! :thumbsup:

Thank you Alan. As Will stated, you won't be disappointed with a 66 Slim! :)

5. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    The spring here has been dreadfully backward this year. Last Friday it was 4c and cold north wind raging, makes the sunshine cold&burning.The same night it dipped to -2.7c even if the nights are now very short, leaves barely out.

But today I decided to plant Mozart potatoes and some Shallots in the kitchen-garden, it is after all June! The beans and broccoli will have to wait till next week-end, just to be on the safe side..

I was using this Burgundy Micarta Bullnose, an outstandingly fine work-knife to open a potato sack Shallot bag and lime/fertilizers. Nice thick scale slabs offer superb comfort, all steel is always superior to brass as well.

[​IMG]

Primble, toto07, Half/Stop and 6 others like this.
  6. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Thank you sir!

7. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    I'm sure of it Ron. I'm unable to find one for sale. Must be popular? As mentioned though, now that I have my fill of #99's, I will be looking in more earnest.

Half/Stop likes this.
  8. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    image.jpeg

9. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Schrade Walden 834
    Old Timer 8OT STOCKMAN
    SAK

Grateful likes this.
  10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Attractive knife, Wilsonhome!! Achingly great stag! :thumbsup:

That pair can illustrate all kinds of contrasts, Rachel! Horn & Tooth. Black & White. Curved & Straight. 1-blade & 2-blade. You can probably point out more, since they're your knives! :thumbsup:;)

Thanks for the additional background on your Queen City canoe, Nate. :)
    Those old Cases are beguiling! :thumbsup: It's a special bonus to have that old favorite of your father! :cool:

That Premium Scout is primo, Tom! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the sphere-carving details and the 99 review, FBC; much appreciated! :thumbsup: That whittling technique of "set it down for a few weeks" sounds VERY familiar to me! :rolleyes:

I LOVE that pic, Gev!! :thumbsup::cool: "Barlow with Bountiful Harvest" or maybe "Ulster in the Valley (of the Jolly Green Giant)".

That's a choice sowbelly, Jeff! :cool: That "script" shield isn't pinned, is it??

Great to see your here again, Mike! :cool: Delightful photo of your little Buck and your harp! :thumbsup:

Smooth and curvaceous, Bob! :thumbsup: Better be careful or your wife will get jealous! ;)

From the number of consecutive days you've posted that knife, Paul, I'm gonna go out on a limb and conclude that you're fairly fond of it! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats, FOG2, that's an exceptional new knife you have there; exquisite stag! :thumbsup::thumbsup: No wonder I'm seeing it in many of the threads I usually visit! :D

Great comparison shot of your Wright lambsfoots, Ron! What a marvelous pair, and gorgeous wood on each! :thumbsup::thumbsup: What you said about my Case SBJ and the guy who gave it to me is SO true (and the same could be said regarding a Case chestnut sowbelly and its giver, as well :thumbsup:;)).

Congrats on that fine single-spring 2-blade example, Ron!! :cool::thumbsup:

Wow, what a Wadsworth!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (Actually, I don't remember hearing of Wadsworth knives before, but I've heard of Henry W Longfellow, who wrote:
    Toiling,--rejoicing,--sorrowing,
    Onward through life he goes;
    Each morning sees some task begin,
    Each evening sees it close
    Something attempted, something done,
    Has earned a night's repose.
    )

- GT

Since my favorite knife covers are stag and Alox, I'm filled with admiration for your pair, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup:

toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore! That's a unique and intriguing Laguiole!! :thumbsup::cool:

I appreciate your saying so, Dean! :)

Remind me to never play poker with you, Dee! :eek: I stand no chance against your four of a kind!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've posted all of my knives for this week except my non-rotating ones. I ALWAYS carry this chestnut bone CV Sodbuster Jr from a BigBiscuit GAW and this Rough Rider scrimshawed stockman from r8shell, both photographed on vacation last summer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also always carry this Vic Minichamp; killer scissors, and the pen is handy.
    [​IMG]

- GT

RDaneel, toto07, Half/Stop and 5 others like this.
  11. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thank you, GT, that's lovely. It seems fitting for this old knife, one of the most hopeless looking wrecks I've managed to revive.

12. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Carried this 77 and an 83 today .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry

13. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Thank you 5Q, I am continually CoonFingerin it.

14. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

TFBraden and paulhilborn like this.
  15. UseitorLoseit

UseitorLoseit Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Out planting tomatoes and stopped for a quick glamour shot.

[​IMG]

16. WoodManGM

WoodManGM

May 24, 2017
    I have seen the assertion made repeatedly that steel liners are superior to brass and I would like further explanation. Obviously steel liners are stronger than brass, but current production SAKs have aluminum liners (and have for many years) and they seen to be strong enough. And many modern folders (Spyderco comes to mind) don't even have liners. Has anyone had a knife made with brass liners actually fall apart during hard use?

Using steel would seem to avoid the issue of galvanic corrosion from having dissimilar metals in contact with each other, but unprotected carbon steel is, of course, subject to corrosion on its own. So, are GEC's steel liners stainless or are they made from the same 1095 that the blades are made from?

I certainly like the look of a traditional knife with brass liners a lot more.

17. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I agree that brass liners can look good on some patterns, and I don't have concerns about hard use type of stuff. I simply dislike the smell of brass, it imparts a stink on the hands can flavour foods but above all, it corrodes creating verdigris. This certainly stains Stag and light Bone a horrid green colour. Moreover, all steel seems tighter gap free construction, my ideal is stainless backspring and stainless liners, then with carbon or stainless blades, alas rare unless on custom. Linerless Traditional can work very well too, a Moki Fishowl lock back I have is an ideal example.

Thanks, Will

Old Engineer likes this.
  18. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rambler, TFBraden, RDaneel and 14 others like this.
  19. BigBiscuit

BigBiscuit

Dec 11, 2014
    Thanks GT. My wife says I'm too old for her to be jealous. :D

20. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Harry, that's some nice Antlers you have there my friend! :)

@Primble - Rob, Thanks for posting those two beauties for us to enjoy this morning!! :)

I'm starting the day with this Case Chestnut Bone SBJ. :)

[​IMG]