What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

ej2Xt9h.jpg

Still carrying mine as well. First full day of family vacation.

The spring here has been dreadfully backward this year. Last Friday it was 4c and cold north wind raging, makes the sunshine cold&burning.The same night it dipped to -2.7c even if the nights are now very short, leaves barely out.

But today I decided to plant Mozart potatoes and some Shallots in the kitchen-garden, it is after all June! The beans and broccoli will have to wait till next week-end, just to be on the safe side..

I was using this Burgundy Micarta Bullnose, an outstandingly fine work-knife to open a potato sack Shallot bag and lime/fertilizers. Nice thick scale slabs offer superb comfort, all steel is always superior to brass as well.

IMG_4440.jpg
Sounds like a wonderful garden. The farm and field is a perfect choice. Hope the garden does well and we get to see it.

I LOVE that pic, Gev!! :thumbsup::cool: "Barlow with Bountiful Harvest" or maybe "Ulster in the Valley (of the Jolly Green Giant)".

Wow, what a Wadsworth!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (Actually, I don't remember hearing of Wadsworth knives before, but I've heard of Henry W Longfellow, who wrote:
Toiling,--rejoicing,--sorrowing,
Onward through life he goes;
Each morning sees some task begin,
Each evening sees it close
Something attempted, something done,
Has earned a night's repose.
)

- GT

I've posted all of my knives for this week except my non-rotating ones. I ALWAYS carry this chestnut bone CV Sodbuster Jr from a BigBiscuit GAW and this Rough Rider scrimshawed stockman from r8shell, both photographed on vacation last summer:
v5Gre1b.jpg

QGvdN6E.jpg

I also always carry this Vic Minichamp; killer scissors, and the pen is handy.
eJdbaXG.jpg

- GT

Wonderful harvest this year Gary. The growth rate and fecundity is incredible this year. The cantaloupe is spreading like a wild fire ( 12 ft spread)

The Vic is so cool and thanks for the Longfellow!!

I've posted all of my knives for this week except my non-rotating ones. I ALWAYS carry this chestnut bone CV Sodbuster Jr from a BigBiscuit GAW and this Rough Rider scrimshawed stockman from r8shell, both photographed on vacation last summer:
v5Gre1b.jpg

QGvdN6E.jpg

I also always carry this Vic Minichamp; killer scissors, and the pen is handy.
eJdbaXG.jpg

- GT

Terrific Triptych GT!

Carrying 3 today. These two for me:

[URL=http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/ts39/media/15853236-8192-405C-A307-94505A7853AC_zpssrcl6eos.jpg.html][/URL]

And this pioneer, a gift for my niece.

[URL=http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/ts39/media/D0510B69-B036-498F-940B-A0B5968A2D55_zpsikybcv2g.jpg.html][/URL]

I agree that brass liners can look good on some patterns, and I don't have concerns about hard use type of stuff. I simply dislike the smell of brass, it imparts a stink on the hands can flavour foods but above all, it corrodes creating verdigris. This certainly stains Stag and light Bone a horrid green colour. Moreover, all steel seems tighter gap free construction, my ideal is stainless backspring and stainless liners, then with carbon or stainless blades, alas rare unless on custom. Linerless Traditional can work very well too, a Moki Fishowl lock back I have is an ideal example.

Thanks, Will

Thanks for your very cogent explanation.

On the subject of verdigris, is it more likely to form in humid climates? I live in dry, inland Southern California and I haven't found it on any of my knives, even the vintage ones. Is there any treatment that prevents verdigris?

To get back on topic, additional thanks for reminding me how good the Moki Fish Owl is. The small version is riding in my watch pocket right now.

Back