What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

One of my favorite #15's today
5wm5xrnh.jpg

I concur. Faced with airflight and it’s necessary hard choices on which knives to bring, there’s no way I was not taking my Oregon Trapper.

Thank you, Ron! Great time indeed.

Just back from snowshoeing. At around 9000 ft, I am feeling my age! But I feel alive at the same time.
Elk were here...View attachment 1077685A bear took it out on this aspen... 43 for scale.View attachment 1077687Dark and myterious, and without snowshoes, yer a goner. It’s deceptively deep ~ 4’plus...View attachment 1077686View attachment 1077689
Great pics. Thanks for taking us along again.

Two pics for the price of one today. The Camillus is sharing pocket time with the GEC #43 Oregon Trapper in natural canvas micarta.

This #43 is truly one of the most useful knives I've ever had the pleasure of owning. It's not too big or too heavy for pocket carry, but generously sized. Fits great in a Northwoods leather slip. The ergonomics are flat out perfect for my hand. The heat treatment on my blade is just a tad on the hard side, which I love, and it never develops a pesky wire edge when sharpening. This knife cuts forever and ever, and works amazingly well for vegetable cutting in the kitchen on taco night.

My only regret is not immediately purchasing a second one from @gunstockjack, after the first one arrived. I'd never planned on buying a #43, already owning a #42 lockback, but gave in on impulse. I've heard that the #43's ran a little light on the pull, but mine is mysteriously around a 6 or 6.5. The action is amazing and perfect for a knife of this size. I honestly can't find a single flaw on it. If I'd found this knife 19 years ago, when I first joined Bladeforums, I would have happily used it for the rest of my life and never showed my face here again. It's that good.

QmuKzYNh.jpg

9H9GS60h.jpg

Buzz, I have always coveted your Canvas #43 . I kind of missed the boat on them and have seen them go for too much on ebay and passed. You inspired me to look again online and I found a dealer that still has them and on sale no less :)

So guess what I have on the way ! :thumbsup:

Beautiful knives. I wonder why they named it"bolus " though.

Thanks! And no idea :), Google told me this, maybe it has a different meaning in Italian?

noun
  1. a small rounded mass of a substance, especially of chewed food at the moment of swallowing.
    • a type of large pill used in veterinary medicine.
    • MEDICINE
      a single dose of a drug or other medicinal preparation given all at once.

I’m keeping it smooth and sleek today! :)

That's just like you, pal, very handsome, indeed.

My fancy canoe this week is a Fight'n Rooster 4-blade:

Mighty fine, GT.

Way waaayyy cool Stuart! I was patiently waiting for your Sunday pearl post. Gorgeous knives!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats on your successful rabbit hunt.

Those are some keen cutters! :D:thumbsup:

Wow! I'd love to listen to that. A 16 piece symphony in slow motion... :cool: Amazing MOP Stuart.

Two really great knives and you captured the MOP wonderfully. :thumbsup:

Thanks, all y'all. I'm starting to have to recycle some of the MOP, as I've just about hit the pearl pit bottom. The dogs did not disappoint. They were bawling from the minute the trucks left the tar road onto dirt track until we boxed them back up. The cacophonous chorus was a treat to our ears, though they covered enough ground to tax my knees more than I had hoped. Oh, well, I had some post-hunt elixir for that.

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is a Case chestnut jigged bone CV Swayback Jack (thanks, Paul):

That's a seductive SBJ, GT.

Your comely canoe floats my boat, Dwight.

Hope y’all have a great day! I’m totin a Wright and a Winchester today. :D

44820275505_535ce81aba_b_d.jpg

These two are in my pockets today. Y’all have a great day! :D

Thanks for the photos Jeff! I hope you and your family are having a great time! :)

These two for me today. :)

43014409162_271d0239d8_b_d.jpg

Those are some consistently captivating pairs that you've been posting, pal. The latter two are particularly marvelously matched.

OVIDkiZ.jpg

How about Mother of Pearl Monday?

That's a very fine picture of some beautiful MOP knives, David. The use of the Kreptek adds a cryptic element.

Camillus #72 today

Camillus #12 Medium Jack

Camillus #16 today

I take a little time off for hunting and chores and you start a captivating Camillus cavalcade, Steve. You won't even let a guy take a break and, boy, am I glad. As were the Uticas that you unleashed, the Cammies are great old knives lovingly portrayed. Thanks.

Camillus 40 yesterday and today

So, I see that you are in cahoots with SteveC SteveC , Nick, posting great pictures of fabulous old knives, without regard to the deleterious envy they ignite in others of weak character (said with head hung low). All I can muster up is - thanks for sharing, pal, and please keep it up.

E.C. Simmons Goolash

It all looks tasty, Gev.

Always the Camillus. A wonderful old Case scout is riding shotgun.

The Camillus is forever in my right pocket. Uncharacteristically of me, my left pocket today contains this nifty Russell Barlow. They make a very nice pair, if I do say so myself.

Those are some very fine pairings, Buzz. Great additions to your carry cache.

Thought I'd carry some red and black :thumbsup:

Ravishingly radiant red, Jack. Really beautiful.

Maybe the heat of this beautiful wood will substitute for the absent sun.

It lit a fire under me, Alan.

That is a gorgeous picture of a beautiful knife.

Today in my pocket...

Terrific trapper!!

You brightened my day with that picture, Dwight. Thanks.

On the CASE again :)
[/QUOTE]

m6SBLb7.png

- Stuart

Back