What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

GZM7aV3.jpg

29FB0DBD-DF6F-45B8-A974-C11D87F2452E.jpeg I’m currently reading Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell and Jeffery Kluger, so today I decided to carry one of the only two knives that the Apollo 13 crew had aboard (in the life raft survival gear, the other knife being the Case Astronaut Machete). Along with my Fisher AG-7, the only model of ballpoint pen the crew carried.

Let's try that again Reblade buck 110 https://imgur.com/gallery/8AOR99O
If you can fetch the image address from your Imgur account, you can include the photo in your post in-line.

This would be the same situation except the image address (URL) is already present.

In both case, you just need to bracket the image URL in tags, or click the little "picture" icon above the text box and just paste the URL into the little popup. It should embed the images for you. Like this:

8jWiThB.png

HTH.

Totin' a mystery Barlow and a modded muskrat today.

47493551881_61dfb2c0da_k.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Dylan! :) It isn’t the finest of knives...... You jest my friend! :eek: That’s an absolutely beautiful old Sawcut Barlow! And as usual a stunning photo! :thumbsup: :D

What a sweet Bower !!

Thanks Dylan! That is a fantastic photo of the Barlow :thumbsup:

Thanks pal, cool porch pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you, all, for the kind compliments. They are much appreciated.

Wonderful pic of a beautiful old Barlow, Dwight!

Very fine Bower, yours has the deepest bolster stamp I've seen on one. I have that knife's twin but the bolster stamp is about ⅓rd gone.

Thank you! Admittedly, when I saw the original listing, I thought this was an old Boker, not thinking that it was absent the tree stamp. Looking at it again, I discovered that it was a Bower (which I know little about). Regardless, I have been very happy with the knife. Not only does it have such pleasing action, but the blades are ground so nice and thin. It really is a nice knife.

I'm showing off one of my earlier acquisitions today, in addition to the ever-present Camillus and Case mini-trapper. I purchased this stag Buck 110 in early 2001, back when the Buck custom shop was called Pete's Custom Knife Shoppe. I ordered the blade partially serrated, because I was doing a lot of rope work back then, but still wanted some plain edge for general outdoor use. All in all, it's probably the only combo edge I've ever not regretted purchasing. Buck ground some great serrations, and it has always excelled at its job.

The Sambar stag that Buck chose is absurdly thick and beautiful. I guess it was just easier to get huge chunks of gorgeous stag back then, before the 2003 export ban began. Buck seriously earned bonus points on this knife, perfectly shaping the stag with finger grooves. Between the finger grooves and stag thickness, the handle provides a grip security and comfort I've rarely felt on a folding knife.

The steel is BG-42, which doesn't seem to be very popular anymore, but I still love it. BG-42 takes a very nice edge, and holds it quite well. Buck/BOS got the heat treatment just right, and the edge is ground nice and thin, this knife being made just after Buck introduced its newer thinner Edge 2000 grind.

It's hard to capture in pictures, but Joe Houser from Buck had the blade engraved for me at one point, with its name The Angry Beaver. It got this name one weekend in the Adirondacks, while I was whittling away out in front of our cabin. My father-in-law made a remark about it cutting like an angry beaver, and the name just stuck. After that day, any time I pulled out my trust 110, someone would yell, "Beware the angry beaver!!!"

I've wanted to retire this knife many times, but it often comes back from the archives and into use. It's just too great a knife to be stored away, I guess. The brass has a few dings and scratches, and I haven't polished it recently, but even so, The Angry Beaver is still a beauty to behold.

j2kB4Mwh.jpg

Y7S4IIsh.jpg

po1lbwch.jpg

85UV4mph.jpg

Great write up, Buzz! I am usually not big on serrations or finger grooves but I do like 110s and that Stag is just exquisite. I love the knife and the story behind it!

Just received. Despite known issues, I still fell for its’ charm. Still plenty of life left. Already named it....Gus.:)
B505B023-D3D5-444E-90A3-1CA59D8AA3EA_zpstis86b69.jpeg

What a terrific find, Harvey! There is indeed a lot left for that knife to give. How's the snap on it?

Well, another day, another Barlow. This whole week has bent spent with some sort of Barlow in the pocket. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

Pair in blue.

ttu4nTI.jpg

Another simple and basic day, but this time shrinking down from the Ka-Bar Mk1 but going larger than the Dawson Mercury. This is a Dawson Outback (my first and last knife purchase of the year, I swear it!) in 80CrV2 (I think). ~3.5" blade, ~3.25" edge, ~ 7.5 OAL. The pommel can double as a screwdriver much like its cousin, the Dawson Pocketknife/Handyman. At nearly 6mm, this one is a sharpened prybar, unlike the thin and slicey Mercury, though it is hollow-ground, so it handles better than its bulk would indicate. With Dawson's kydex pocket sheath, it carries well and is easy to get to while working. A cross-draw front hip sheath in nice leather would be a welcome carry style, though. I might ship it off to @Horsewright for a new sheath this year.

Maybe a full review later next month.

2SwpqZY.jpg

Zieg

Last edited:
Back