What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

@315
R rasta bomb
@Will Power
@Jack Black
@Pt-Luso
@ISKRA
Fodderwing Fodderwing
@JohnDF

All of you are bringing your A-game this Friday!!!!!

Dual cap lifters to start the weekend for me. The Camillus scout, of course, backed up by my Case beer t(r)apper in yellow Delrin.

qZCL6msh.jpg

gKZnvTjh.jpg

A.beer doesn't stand a chance against you!

This combo seems to pop up a lot in my posts. The Camillus is everywhere I go, and the Oregon Trapper just because it's awesome. My esteem for the #43 never wanes. Everything about it rings true with me.

I'm now almost 3 1/2 months into my year of carrying the Camillus Engineer on a daily basis, and it really hasn't been too tough. Carrying an ever-changing secondary knife to show off, has kept away the "collector's monotony" that comes from wanting to show off something exciting on the porch. But from the perspective of my time away from Bladeforums, and actually doing things in real life, the companionship of the Camillus has been a very positive experience. I certainly never feel that the Camillus can't handle the job.

I do sometimes lament not having a small coping secondary blade, and this is the largest drawback to me carrying a traditional scout. The cap lifter works great, but the flathead screwdriver that mostly gets used as a small pry bar is maybe a little too short for my tastes. The can opener is pretty close to useless, as it's too fragile for me to risk using for its intended purpose, which it doesn't even perform well. I'd much rather have a more modern style of can opener. The punch is the bee's knees. No regrets there. The spear blade is a good basic shape for everyday utility work, although I might prefer a clip overall.

As I look closer at my time with the same knife every day, the little things come to mind. My hand has memorized the shape of the knife, and now instantly finds that perfect grip, causing other knives to actually feel quite foreign in my palm. I can pick the knife up without looking at it, and open up any tool I need, having committed the position of all the implements to memory. It helps that the scout only has two nail nicks to memorize, as the can opener and awl don't need them, and all aspects of the knife seem to be in direct relation to the location of the bail and fob.

I've grown so used to closing the spear blade, that I instinctively rotate the bail from the blades path without even thinking about it. I love to use the U.S.A. gimp shield as a worry stone throughout the day. I've found my absolute favorite stone to sharpen the main blade, taking into account the type of steel, the steel hardness, the thinness of the grind, and the level of polish on the edge that works well for me. I know how many times I can strop the knife before needing to take it back to a stone. I've developed my own little cleaning and lubrication routine around this particular knife, now knowing exactly where the Camillus prefers to hide dirt and debris.

All in all, it's been a great experience thus far. I can't really say whether I'll keep going for the entire year. A new knife could come into my possession, that's just too wonderful not to carry every day. It's also possible that the allure of ironwood 77 Barlow might become too great. But at this juncture, I'm doing just fine with the Camillus. My growing connection to this scout is compelling enough to mitigate any minor reasons not to complete the one-year journey.

0UdmzPBh.jpg
Fantastic post. You are a real knife-nut, my friend :cool:
Thanks for sharing the details.
I'm looking for that perfect duo as well since getting my double pocket slip.
Long may the journey continue...

Is that from Albecete? Artesanía Herreros?

Absolute artistry!
You're killin' it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy weekend all, ~Don

D Duckdog Outstanding bone covers on both the queen and the primble today.

I like this little knife a lot.

Thanks, Nick. Those covers are what compelled me to tote them the our weekly toasting session. They appreciate elders there. Is that beauty you posted a swell center serpentine pen? Very good looking.

Thanks Stuart, great post! :D :thumbsup:

A real beauty Stuart :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack.

I'd wager that Queen is over the legal drinking age. ;)

I confess that sometimes when I get behind reading this thread, I'll just scroll down quickly, glancing at the pictures. Sometimes a knife will make me stop and stare for a while. What a beauty, and nicely photographed, too.

Thanks, r8shell.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Those are very cool. Happy weekend to you, too.

I'm going to head out for a hike tomorrow, so won't get a chance to post in the morning. Hope everyone has a great weekend :) I'll be packing these three :thumbsup:

Travel safely, Jake. May your travels be smooth.

Old friends Friday.

Those are very cool!

- Stuart

Fantastic post. You are a real knife-nut, my friend :cool:
Thanks for sharing the details.
I'm looking for that perfect duo as well since getting my double pocket slip.
Long may the journey continue...

Is that from Albecete? Artesanía Herreros?

Absolute artistry!
You're killin' it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy weekend all, ~Don
You are very kind. Thank you and much appreciation.

I like that pic, David. And the pun.
Thanks Vince, I took it early this morning as I was leaving for work. Just stopped and set them on my back porch step and took the pic. Morning sun was to my back, so I hit the lighting just right, more by dumb luck than design lol. I used the "auto" touch up feature and added a bit "vignette" feature which shades the corners a little. I'm usually not quick with a pun so when one pops into my head I run with it lol

I've held out using this one which is silly because I will never part with it as it's a gift from a good friend. Why would I just let this one sit:confused: no reason to, so in my pocket where I can derive pleasure using such a great knife:thumbsup:
IXhTOc.jpg

I've been guilty of holding out like that on some knives that I really ought to just carry (including a #77 Washington Punch Knife in Smooth Autumn Gold Bone, one of the first few GEC's I bought, but I haven't carried it yet).

Paul, I agree with your election to put that fine knife to use - an honor to a friend and an honor to the knife. Those knives catch my attention when they appear in posts here, and yours is a very nice example. They are interestingly similar to Primble English Jacks, as you can see below (except for the spear mains on mine). Your post has persuaded me to give a short reprieve to my recently chastised collection and take this one along with my Queen sleeveboard to my afternoon gathering with friends. Thanks for the nudge, pal.

mIyXd3c.jpg

m4YdrwA.jpg

tnWrBL1.jpg

- Stuart

Beautiful jigging on that one, Stuart! :thumbsup:

Wow! Outstanding pair. Any details on those brands?

Very very nice. Most interesting barlows. Would like to hear more about them.

The Cutsure is a contract knife I'm fairly sure came from Utica by comparison to known Kutmaster/Utica Barlows. I did a photo exposition featuring it and some Utica Barlows on another knife forum but I can't easily find it and it's already past my bedtime tonight. :D I am infatuated with the bolster stamp, it is one of the most ornate and unique ones I've seen on any Barlow.

31141750655_7877ad936e_k.jpg

31105503256_5d461d2720_k.jpg

The 4⅛" XTRA Barlow is from Dixon Cutlery. Beyond that, I have no clue of its origin, age or history. It is definitely prewar, has peened pins, and features the angular unhafted bone typical of German Barlows from the first half of the 20th. It's the only one I've ever seen. I believe it was slightly tipped before I got it, so a better example would probably feature more blade length than mine.

39751924932_689fbab568_k.jpg

Last edited:
Recently, I bought the guts to a ‘76 Fender Pro Reverb Amplifier.
View attachment 1109455
My dream amp.

My band leader’s husband built a cabinet for me out of some old cherry panels that came out of a lawyer’s office (I didn’t need my boards after all). He builds custom furniture that are near heirloom quality and has a great shop.

Here, I’ve got it sanded, and have started rubbing on some Danish oil.
View attachment 1109454

The two 12” speakers arrived today, other bits and pieces are on order.

To show my gratitude, I gave him my most recent home made knife. View attachment 1109456View attachment 1109457

Thanks, Nick. Those covers are what compelled me to tote them the our weekly toasting session. They appreciate elders there. Is that beauty you posted a swell center serpentine pen? Very good looking.
I sure do appreciate elders too. Yes it’s a Robeson swell center serpentine pen, thanks Stuart!

Last edited:
Recently, I bought the guts to a ‘76 Fender Pro Reverb Amplifier.
View attachment 1109455
My dream amp.

My band leader’s husband built a cabinet for me out of some old cherry panels that came out of a lawyer’s office (I didn’t need my boards after all). He builds custom furniture that are near heirloom quality and has a great shop.

Here, I’ve got it sanded, and have started rubbing on some Danish oil.
View attachment 1109454

The two 12” speakers arrived today, other bits and pieces are on order.

To show my gratitude, I gave him my most recent home made knife. View attachment 1109456View attachment 1109457

Nice cabinet and I bet it sounds sweet !

Back