1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 41 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Knives Nick Swan Matanzas , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    My daughter too! Who wants scissors when you can get a knife?

2. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    You're right. Can't believe I fell for Rachel's April Fool story about Whataburger giving away knives. Thought it was a great idea, but I should have realized that's not likely in today's environment. Maybe in the '50s or '60s.

3. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Gender specific stereotyping cuts both ways, Rachel! Way back when, I was content with dark blue scales on my Cub/Boy Scout knives, and didn’t give a hoot about the color of Girl Scout knives.
    Now, I’m thinkin (my wife says that could be trouble) that I should pick one up to match my latest guitar rehab that I painted Seafoam Green.
    Some of us probably need to remind our kids not to take their knives to school!

4. Amir Fleschwund

Nov 29, 2008
    0A03B4AD-346A-4FA4-A0CC-2E12F2CA3B54.jpeg At 4 3/8”, the ebony Eagle jack is 1/4” longer than the big Eye Witness in walnut. Wood and wood for Wednesday.

5. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Wasn't there a Johnny Cash song about that? "Don't take your knives to school, son, leave your knives at home, Bill...."

Maybe it was guns. ;)

6. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    No bite my friend , carpal tunnel op.

Harry

Jack Black likes this.
  7. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    They should give knives to frequent customers, like me. :D

8. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Smooth Ivory Bone #06 Pemberton
    [​IMG]

9. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Very nice, Gary, very nice.

10. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
  11. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    I wish GEC would do another run of 68s. One of my favorite patterns.
    C4B51296-0172-489A-B0DF-0018B5AD083D.jpeg

12. Amir Fleschwund

Nov 29, 2008
    I remember

“Ruby...don’t take your love to town”

13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Be Prepared - Seems appropriate with all this continuous record Weather o_O:eek: Please close that can of worms

[​IMG]

14. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    It is really cool that you still have your first knife GT :thumbsup: :cool:

My first was a 2 blade Coca Cola knife that I have tried to find for years but fear it is lost for good.

Hoping these three are lucky for my team tonight.

[​IMG]

15. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    French Custom Friction Folder from Bastinelli.
    2D83E8A6-FADD-4F6E-BF62-CD760E94D567.jpeg

16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    We're kidding, right? because that was Kenny Rogers and the Fifth Edition.

17. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
  18. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    An embarrassment of riches:
    [​IMG]
    And dragging this one behind me in my Radio Flyer little red wagon.
    [​IMG]
    What was that movie where W.C. Fields transformed milksop Bing Crosby into "Colonel Steele, the singing killer"? And had some tales to tell:
    "'I unsheathed my Bowie knife, and hewed a path through a wall of human flesh, dragging my canoe behind me'.
    'Where was the goat?'
    'Under my arm.'".

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  19. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Ron, back at you my friend :) :thumbsup:

I actually missed that trip, must have been ill or something. Sheffield was awash with pocket knives in those days though, and my dad worked in a cutlery factory. The coin knives were very common, but I don't think I ever actually had one. I have collected old coins with matching dates for Stan a few times. Thank you very much :) :thumbsup:

You would! :thumbsup: There was also a trip to a coal-mine, but only boys were allowed down the mine as the miners supposedly believed it was bad luck for a woman to go down a mine (it was certainly bad luck for the women and girls who had to work down them a generation or two earlier)! By the time that came round for my class though, the trip was cancelled, as the discrimination would have been unlawful by then. I wish they had cancelled our trip to the local sewage treatment plant too! :eek:

I always think that is a very nice pattern James, nice photo of it too :) :thumbsup:

The first knife I purchased with my own money was bought on a school trip in front of my teachers. It was a slip joint with a blade about 3 1/2 inches long :cool: :D :thumbsup:

They did the same thing during the 1952 Coronation, every school boy in Sheffield received a Richards penknife, the girls got scissors o_O From what I've heard, the scissors probably lasted longer! o_O :rolleyes:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Harry :thumbsup:

Great song! :D :thumbsup:

Cool knife and pic Gev :) :thumbsup:

Good luck Tom, those are three Bobby Dazzlers :) :thumbsup:

20. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Todays carry a #78 Harvest Bone
    photo 1 (1).JPG