1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Your wife fishes with you?
    You're lucky, my wife sits on the bank and reads romance novels. I'm always afraid I'm going to hook her on my back cast. :D

3. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
  4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I enjoyed the lambsfoots and rams horn in verdant vistas, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Good enough reason for me! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I prefer the mini copper lock pattern, but your big one with the blue jigged bone and red shield is a sock-knocker-offer! :eek:

That pair will work!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dave, your postman isn't Mr McFeely, by any chance?? ;)

Thanks for correcting my holiday food misidentification, Ron. ;):cool:

Do you like your Vic Florist, Jeff? They appeal to me, but the blade seems so short for the frame. :rolleyes:

You're so right about @r8shell's talent! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
    Cool pic of your Ancient, Dwight! I like seeing all your carefully selected prop rocks in your photos. ;):thumbsup::cool:

That's a show-stopper, Alan! :eek::cool::cool: What is the handle material? I really like that bird's eye pivot combined with the avian raptor head shield!

Thanks for the explanation, David; sounds like a helpful, organized system. :) I should have known that "scale" in the photo was in degrees of angle, since 22.5 was marked (half of a 45). :rolleyes:

I have a dictionary that an uncle gave me before I started high school, and tucked inside the back cover are several pages of definitions of new-to-me words I discovered over 40 years ago while reading Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan novels. That was before email, and I used to send letters to family and friends in which I used my "Tarzan words" in an effort to help me remember them. :rolleyes:
    Your stag HHB looks superb in every setting! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, Vince! :)
    (FWIW, my cell phone is an LG flip phone that's dumber than I am, but very compact and lightweight. :D)

W:eek:W, Jeff, RALF did all that by himSALF??? ;):thumbsup::cool:

My goodness, that pearl mini trapper is a jewel! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks for your support, Harvey. :)
    Congrats on finding that Talylor's FLY Witness Barlow; splendid bolster stamp! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

My Alox of the Week is a Vic Electrician that is my first ever Alox example (thanks, Greg):
    [​IMG]

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Pocket Pal:
    [​IMG]

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Holub electrician (thanks, Dave):
    [​IMG]

- GT

5. Jambon

Jambon Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

6. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Thank you sir, she'll be excited you liked it. I'll let her know. 'Bout to head out and do some field work. Boker Scout Cronidur in grenadill wood along for the ride.

20190709_070848.jpg

7. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Gary, I wouldn't lie to you . . . yes, yes he did! :rolleyes:

Fodderwing likes this.
  8. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    I picked up a stainless Eye Brand Premium Stockman that I'm carrying today.
    IMG_0219_edited.jpg

Jambon, ISKRA, Fodderwing and 29 others like this.
  9. Bloefield

Bloefield

Aug 2, 2013
    1989 Puma Sportec and Dogbone Jack for the walk with "Jack".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Yep,everything. Fly fish for trout or small mouth to musky fishing, backpacking, camping, horseback riding and she even went out to where I once taught skydiving and made her one and only tandem jump from 10,500 feet.I can't seem to get her into scuba though but those days might be gone for me as well since back surgery and COPD.Heck growing old. By the way, her knife collection is even bigger then mine but I don't say anything about her being a Frost girl.:rolleyes:

11. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I’m obviously not Jeff, but for my part the Florist (AKA “Gardener” or “Twine”) is a great knife.

The blade *is* short for the frame. According to my ruler the frame is 3-3/4” and the blade measures just a hair over 2-1/2” from frame to tip. While this makes the knife a bit odd aesthetically, it suits the knife’s function, providing enough grip surface to get all four fingers on the knife without making the blade too cumbersome in length.

They’re darned handy for the sorts of tasks they’re designed for. The chisel grind takes some getting used to, but they can be made wicked sharp.

12. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @5K Qs
    Its Nguni horn, Gary. A type of cattle from South Africa. PhotoPictureResizer_190601_065821553-749x500.jpg

13. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Today is my Grohmann mini Russell posing here inside bowls I have turned on lathe in the past couple weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    [​IMG]

A Fayette for today.

15. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Both are great knives Harry! :thumbsup: I’m glad you’re enjoying them my friend! :D

Great photo John! :thumbsup: I really need to get out in nature more often! :D

Your welcome Gary! ;) That’s a great photo of your Electrician my friend! :thumbsup: :cool:

I hope everyone is having a good Tuesday! I’m carrying a Norfolk and a Lambsfoot today! :D

[​IMG]

Pomsbz, ISKRA, Fodderwing and 26 others like this.
  16. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @5K Thank you Gary. That’s a lovely trio.

Wm. Rodgers Stockman, Sheffield.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carbon steel + sea air = no problems so far :)

18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I did get my wife to team rope with me. Those were fun times.

Thanks, Ron. That's my local fishing spot.

Knife content:
    This knife has been used every day since Jack gifted it to me. It is my definition of an "every day knife".
    [​IMG]

19. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Heading out to run a few errands with my brilliant, beautiful wife. I think this TL-29 (expertly modded by @glennbad) is just the thing to bring along.

70D1215B-A7D7-4D2A-ADBA-AF7EE00F9BA3.jpeg

ISKRA, Fodderwing, DelOro and 21 others like this.
  20. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    That Catt's got my tongue, Dean! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like RR canoes, but I especially like the lacing on the slip you have for yours! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Honey Vic! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Glad to hear that damage was minimal, JJ. :thumbsup:
    You sure have shown us a lot of fantastic old knives in the short span of 50-some posts!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

IMHO, that's an ideal GEC #15, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Barehead, gorgeous bone (jigging and color), splendid shield, EO notch, sheepsfoot blade! (If I ruled the world, I might add a pen secondary. ;))

Ron, I wonder if your problems were with the BF site, rather than your internet; I thought the forum was running slow for me yesterday, but not other sites. Fine pair right there in black and white! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I admire your commitment to the fixed/sout combo, Tom! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Sweet pic, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Am I to conclude from the blade stamp that the knife is an unreal lambsfoot?!? :rolleyes::D

That's a winner, Dean; hard to believe you don't carry it LOTS! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Congrats on the captivating custom sowbelly @Leslie Tomville! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Maybe your wife loves you so much that she just pretends she doesn't know knife costs! :):cool:)

One of my favorite models :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (even though I say I don't prefer single blades, or lockbacks, or knives over 4", or folded metal handles :rolleyes:).

Highly desirable duo, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Seeing your sowbelly is always a treat, Gev! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:cool::thumbsup::D

Congrats, Dennis, and thanks for sharing the "feel-good" story! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    Accolades to Charlie and Jack for their thoughtfulness! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Your AC looks like cream on top of your berries! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Peace out, Jer, your old Jay's Potato Chip pencil is outta sight! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

U*XL, Dwight! ;):cool::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:p

Thanks for your opinions on the Florist, @Frailer! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I wondered if a design principle was to provide a substantial handle even though the blade is relatively short. I can imagine that long handle and short blade could maximize control and precision (like some whittling knives).

Thanks, Alan. :) That bovine looks familiar. Do you have (or have you had) other knives with Nguni horn that I may have asked about, or have I seen the one with the raptor shield before and forgotten it? :(

Stockman of the Week is my first sowbelly stockman, an amber jigged bone Rough Rider that sold me on the pattern:
    [​IMG]

Plain Canoe of the Week is a Taylor-Schrade Old Timer (that, oddly, has no shield):
    [​IMG]

Fancy Canoe of the Week is a Marbles rams horn canoe:
    [​IMG]

- GT