What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Almost hate to throw it in my pocket its so pretty... almost. This one is an immediate favorite.

WTxsB65.jpg

bwdMwGd.jpg

521uEtT.jpg

Wow, holy moly! Nice grain. Shew wee!

Me too. Can we see more of that knife, what is it?
Hello Paul. That one started life as a Chestnut bone covered Case Bose Eureka Jack. The bone on it was dull and lifeless and just butt ugly IMO. I commissioned Javi Garcia on Instagram and had him recover it in vintage natural canvas micarta. His work is top notch! :thumbsup:
20190709_195040.jpg

20190709_194235.jpg

Do you like your Vic Florist, Jeff? They appeal to me, but the blade seems so short for the frame. :rolleyes:

s8XzRB6.jpg

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Pocket Pal:
vuBmUxu.jpg

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Holub electrician (thanks, Dave):
ykuFzYe.jpg

- GT

I’m obviously not Jeff, but for my part the Florist (AKA “Gardener” or “Twine”) is a great knife.

The blade *is* short for the frame. According to my ruler the frame is 3-3/4” and the blade measures just a hair over 2-1/2” from frame to tip. While this makes the knife a bit odd aesthetically, it suits the knife’s function, providing enough grip surface to get all four fingers on the knife without making the blade too cumbersome in length.

They’re darned handy for the sorts of tasks they’re designed for. The chisel grind takes some getting used to, but they can be made wicked sharp.

Yes, Gary. I do like the Florist. Slim, light, and a great shape for using. Like my spokesman said, if you recognize that it is made for cutting flower stems to length (probably on a cutting matte), and trimming leaves off stems while making up floral arrangements, the four finger grip, straight cutting edge, shorter blade, and chisel grind all make sense.

We do have a florist in the family ~ my son's mother-in-law ~ and from watching her in her flower shop, I had the fantasy of gifting her with one of these (I have two). But I don't think she gives two hoots about traditional pocket knives. She seems to prefer dull scissors and even duller utility knives. :rolleyes:
But she sure knows how to put flowers together that please Mrs Fleschwund!

The Vik Florist excels at cleanly harvesting in the garden, small pruning jobs, and makes a great paring knife in the kitchen.

I'm envious over your Alox specimens... but I really like that Pocket Pal!
BTW, Holub Electrical supply in Sycamore is about 40 minutes south of me. I have read speculation that their electrician's knives were made for them by Klein and Sons out of Chicago.

That pair will work!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Gary! It looks like you have a great lineup of 2 electricians with another Swiss pal!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad to hear that damage was minimal, JJ. :thumbsup:
You sure have shown us a lot of fantastic old knives in the short span of 50-some posts!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks again Gary! I am trying to test most of my traditional knives and then come up with a plan, like you!:D Another cool and curvy lineup of 2 canoes and a sowbelly!:cool::thumbsup:
Thank you and I agree with you a 100% on the workmanship of these century old knives. I like your Robeson’s!:thumbsup:
Thanks so much Nick!!!
Toting this big yet very pocketable one today.
You have another "epic oldie" Nick; certainly love that jigging!:thumbsup:
I can feel it in the air tonight
Hold on
I've been waiting for this moment
All my life
I remember... the edge of night

I can feel it
That's definitely a Cool Catt!!! Great shot, too!:)

Back