What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Ulster Jack today

ErN4COs.jpg

After being gone for a week I’m too far behind to think about looking at all the knives you folks were toting. I spent the week picking huckleberries, catching small mouth, eating better than I do at home and drinking red beer every night around a campfire. Having little or absolutely no cell service was really nice, but because of that I didn’t carry my phone and took very few photos. Here’s a few, along with the knives I packed around and used.

255-C33-F9-A2-DF-46-D8-B4-B7-2-B724-CE629-FA.jpg

EE9-C0-D07-288-B-4-D40-8-DAF-1-DB12-C3-CC6-C4.jpg

E008067-B-E2-D3-402-F-990-E-66513-B39-BDB2.jpg

3-BF8112-A-E2-E3-4-B90-9791-CFDCEBC08-DC2.jpg

I did manage a GAW while on the trip. My 9 year old nephew looked like he needed a good camping knife so I gave him a Victorinox Lumberjack I took along. He turned into a sawing/whittling machine, trying to make a spear to get some fish while he was swimming in the lake.

After being gone for a week I’m too far behind to think about looking at all the knives you folks were toting. I spent the week picking huckleberries, catching small mouth, eating better than I do at home and drinking red beer every night around a campfire. Having little or absolutely no cell service was really nice, but because of that I didn’t carry my phone and took very few photos. Here’s a few, along with the knives I packed around and used.

255-C33-F9-A2-DF-46-D8-B4-B7-2-B724-CE629-FA.jpg

EE9-C0-D07-288-B-4-D40-8-DAF-1-DB12-C3-CC6-C4.jpg

E008067-B-E2-D3-402-F-990-E-66513-B39-BDB2.jpg

3-BF8112-A-E2-E3-4-B90-9791-CFDCEBC08-DC2.jpg

I did manage a GAW while on the trip. My 9 year old nephew looked like he needed a good camping knife so I gave him a Victorinox Lumberjack I took along. He turned into a sawing/whittling machine, trying to make a spear to get some fish while he was swimming in the lake.
I wholeheartedly love it that you gave your nephew your SAK:thumbsup:

A week off the internet...:thumbsup:

However, the lack of smallmouth pics:(:eek:
:D

A week ago at this time, I was on the road to our vacation destination. I haven't looked at this thread for a week. I started trying to catch up last night. It looks like I've missed some momentous developments in the past 7-8 days! :thumbsup::):cool:

Have a fun and safe vacation, G.T. Looks like you will be well equipped, knife-wise.
Thanks, Harvey. :) The 6-hour drive to get here has become kind of a killer for my geezer back, but once we arrived, it's been fantastic so far. One more week here, and our daughter will join us for several days this week, so my hopes are high!

Great choices and images Gary!!! Your Jack Black "Cracker Jack" really brings back some sweet memories!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes:
Thanks, JJ. :) I bought a 3-pack of Cracker Jack for the photo shoot, and found out the modern version is almost peanutless! :eek::mad::rolleyes:

Great knives, Gary. Have a fun vacation!
Thanks, Dean. :) On the trip to our vacation rental, I stopped at a Case dealer in Mackinaw City, MI and bought their last Case brown sawcut bone CV Barlow! :cool::thumbsup:

The Case Tribal Lock is a looker, GT, but that cracker jack of an AC is the eye catcher.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart. :)

I'm totin' this Shouse & Hardin Battle Axe brand (circa 1980) gunstock today (in celebration of cleaning and repairing three old shotguns yesterday).

aonwL04.jpg

MGkYPU6.jpg

- Stuart
W:eek:W! That's a grand stag gunstock, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have a great vacation Gary :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :) So far, so good; looking forward to another wondrous week! :thumbsup:;)

Congrats, Dwight, and God Save the Queen! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks! It's a '46-'56 Imperial; they were a budget knife but the blade steel still holds an incredible edge!;)
JJ, I have maybe a half dozen old Imperials and Colonials, and I like them as well as any knives I have! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

@Jack Black
Yes there are!!!! Can you believe it? I found the fountain of youth. I feel like a love crazed teenager.
Congratulations on the impending nuptials, Alan; best wishes to both of you for a long and happy union! :):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (Just how love crazed are you? Is she a Red Sox fan?? ;))

View attachment 1173352 This morning, I’ll be carrying my Grandpa’s old 4 line Camillus EO Jack.
I rarely carry it, but at a bit before 3:00am, I became a Grandpa again, so you see why I felt like totin this one.View attachment 1173349View attachment 1173353
Very cool that you have Grandpa's old knife, Jeff, and even cooler that you've got another grandchild!! :):thumbsup::cool::cool: Congrats to you and the whole family! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Kim and Chris' canoe trip. New additions and a new pattern for us both. Kim's German made Browning from @AFAustin Going to the dogs sale and my Case in carved burnt oatmeal.

View attachment 1173422
I hope you'll enjoy your new canoes as much as I enjoy that pattern! :cool::thumbsup::cool: (But I hope you don't end up "going overboard" in terms of buying far more of them than you need! :eek::rolleyes::D)

Cadet and Pocket Pal are a couple of Vic's finest, IMHO! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (I just bought another used Pocket Pal for $6; I can't seem to resist them. I think I've bought a total of 8 Pocket Pals, new or used, and given away 5 of them.)

View attachment 1173747 View attachment 1173748 View attachment 1173749

Totin’ something different today. My first Old Cross Victorinox, 1980’s vintage.
That's a winner in my book, Greg! :cool::thumbsup::cool: One of my favorite knife finds was an old cross Pioneer; mine isn't as minty as yours, but it's still functionally sound with lots of pocket wear on the covers.

I just got back last night, from 2 weeks in the Adirondacks, camping with my daughter. It was truly a wonderful time. We camped out under the stars, gazed at amazing sunsets, canoed and mountain biked to our heart's content. We spent days in the Santanoni wilderness, enjoying some of the most amazing sunsets, while playing backgammon on the porch of one of the Adirodack's last remaining great camps. It's so rewarding to see your little girl grow into a teenager, and retain that wondrous love for the outdoors.

oQsAHaTh.jpg

mkD7Ou7h.jpg

Through it all, our Victorinox SwissChamps performed more than admirably. They cut paracord, opened cans of Beefaroni over an open fire, sawed downed branches into hiking sticks, filed our growing finger nails, and helped measure distances on maps.

I continue today with "SwissTank", the SwissChamp I used on vacation.

It's funny how you can take a number of knives with you on such a trip, and whichever knife you choose to pocket first, inevitably becomes the only knife you use for the duration. Once you're away from other knife collectors and forums, and only require utility from your current choice, the need for options pretty much disappears. Almost any quality knife will do in these situations, without the magnified importance we often place on blade shapes and patterns details.

On this particular trip, the SAK performed it's duties to perfection. The stainless nature of the knife allowed me more time to focus on my daughter, instead of constantly working to stave off corrosion. The G-10 covers proved indestructible, and made for one less piece of gear to worry about. The thin grind of the main blade easily cut through anything it came into contact with. And to tell you the truth, nature is far easier to cut your way through than civilization. The Vic steel may not be the latest super steel, but I encountered no real edge issues, and I never had to actually sharpen the knife. I did use my tiny Vic pocket steel to straighten the edge a couple of times, and stropped it twice on a leather strap. But that's about it. The SwissChamp was a good reliable knife with a nice thinly ground and versatile spear blade, and just happened to have a bevy of other little accoutrements to help get me by. I'm totally a fan. There's a reason why Victorinox pretty much rules the knife making world, and has for a long, long time. When you get down to brass tax, they work absurdly well for their intended purpose.

fy7mzy8h.jpg
Thanks for the report on your and your daughter's trip! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Sounds like it was supremely satisfying. Kids grow up so fast; I think I remember a photo of you and your MUCH younger daughter up in a fire tower early in my BF membership.

Always a blessing, sometimes a decision. Kind of like love...:)
That's a wise perspective on both happiness and love, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

First day back at school, so it’s a Pioneer day.

View attachment 1174515
Cheerful Pioneer! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: You're back in school on a single-digit date in August! :eek::rolleyes: The law in Michigan is that schools can't start until after Labor Day, but huge numbers of school districts are being granted waivers to start earlier in recent years. What subject do you teach?

For my 2 weeks away from home, I kind of merged two weeks on my rotation schedule to determine what knives to carry for vacation. For example, in my Alox category, I looked at what the schedule assigned for this week and for next week and chose my favorite of the two to carry for both weeks. (I confess that sometimes I ignored both knives in a category and chose whatever I wanted. :rolleyes:)

Anyway, here are some of the knives I'm carrying for this past week and the upcoming week.
Vacation Alox is a Vic Farmer (thanks, Tom):
farmer.silver.mark.Vsaw.stringer.jpg

Big Knife for Vacation is my Mercator Black Cat and my International Knife for Vacation is a Cognet L'Ecureuil, both pictured on a dock in Lake Huron:
cat&squirrel.dock.Vcross.jpg

- GT

Back