What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thanks, Dean. :) On the trip to our vacation rental, I stopped at a Case dealer in Mackinaw City, MI and bought their last Case brown sawcut bone CV Barlow! :cool::thumbsup:

Cadet and Pocket Pal are a couple of Vic's finest, IMHO! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (I just bought another used Pocket Pal for $6; I can't seem to resist them. I think I've bought a total of 8 Pocket Pals, new or used, and given away 5 of them.)

Anyway, here are some of the knives I'm carrying for this past week and the upcoming week.
Vacation Alox is a Vic Farmer (thanks, Tom):
View attachment 1176591

Big Knife for Vacation is my Mercator Black Cat and my International Knife for Vacation is a Cognet L'Ecureuil, both pictured on a dock in Lake Huron:
View attachment 1176600

- GT

Good choice on the Case brown bone sawcut CV Barlow, Gary! :thumbsup::thumbsup: It is a stellar example of Case quality.

I can't imagine buying so many of the same knife (Pocket Pals); oh wait, I bought a bunch of Schrade 897UH stockman.:eek: Never mind!:)

Your Alox Farmer is a great travel choice; I'm so glad you gave me one (thanks, again). :thumbsup:

Bottle caps and marbles

32974426112_3ffb8d6cdb_k.jpg

Another great shot, and I hope I'm not the only one that opened that video in another tab to play in the background. Quite enjoying it :)

Humpback stockman and compact riding along today.

87gqoeT.jpg

Will, that looks to me like a perfect knife. The blade and handle shape and proportions could not be improved upon.

Michael

N.B. I did say 'a' perfect knife; and not 'the' perfect knife ;)

Ha ha! Point taken but in some languages, Finnish and Russian plus others, articles don't exist so there is no 'a' or 'the' only knife :D

But you are right, the proportions cannot be bettered, when closed quite a lot of the blade remains outside the frame so despite a strong spring you may pinch it open if you wish. Once opened out fully, it's straight as a die almost looking liked a fixed blade. Plus the blade seems every millimetre the same as the handle, which is admirable. I dislike those knives that have a foolish short blade and a mass of handle:thumbsdown: Unless of course like an Ettrick, it's meant to have that on purpose.

Thanks, Will

Another great shot, and I hope I'm not the only one that opened that video in another tab to play in the background. Quite enjoying it :)

Humpback stockman and compact riding along today.

87gqoeT.jpg
Music ambiance for the porch, on the porch, on the backporch last night ;)

That humpback is one fine pattern by case :thumbsup: Love the color. What are the beads for? just curious
...and a anarchist hanky huh

Music ambiance for the porch, on the porch, on the backporch last night ;)

That humpback is one fine pattern by case :thumbsup: Love the color. What are the beads for? just curious
...and a anarchist hanky huh

It is a pretty neat pattern. Kind of a strange stockman for sure with the spear main and straight line/angle with the spey.

The beads are begleri beads, sort of a "fidget" item originating in Greece. They're played in the hand, manipulating them, and using flow to move them around the fingers. Four years since I quit smoking, but still need something to do with my hands :) And the hanky, I covered up a part of the logo. The company is aroundsquare (the begleri provider) :)

6NB4mSm.jpg

It is a pretty neat pattern. Kind of a strange stockman for sure with the spear main and straight line/angle with the spey.

The beads are begleri beads, sort of a "fidget" item originating in Greece. They're played in the hand, manipulating them, and using flow to move them around the fingers. Four years since I quit smoking, but still need something to do with my hands :) And the hanky, I covered up a part of the logo. The company is aroundsquare (the begleri provider) :)

6NB4mSm.jpg
I wonder where and when the pattern originated? Very classy

I'll look up the beads and thanks for the info :cool::thumbsup:

Edit: Super interesting video on begleri ...wow..I did not know. This would be so good for hand coordination in old age....especially for non dominant hand.
There is no trick called the Humpback ;);)
/thanks

Last edited:
My carry for Wooden Whittler Wednesday
Oiled the joints, after a stiff start she's coming to life just fine. Carried all day after my daughter's sinus surgery and maybe just brought us some good luck as she had little discomfort.

6EyfInM.jpg
I really like the looks of those stockyard whittlers with the osage orange covers, and, judging from how that type of wood has aged on other knives, I'll like them even better as time goes by! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1174878
I have gone back and forth with this Robeson, trying to decide if it’s ebony or composition. I googled “Robeson 12227”, and unbelievably or not, found the exact knife - THIS, particular one- listed on a sale website (not the one I bought it on a couple of years ago). From the description ~ overly polished like the chrome grill of a ‘48 Buick Roadmaster, the weak snap on the main spear, etc, ~ it sure sounded identical. The photos confirm that I ended up with that exact same knife.

The guy selling it says composition handle scales. Well then, why do I see wood grain with my magnifying glass?
I suppose I could heat up a pin and stick it to it to see if it melts, but that seems kind of destructive, and I don’t care enough either way to do that.

Then, I found this:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/robeson-shuredge-catalog-1908-1930-1811417821

It says “ebony”. Which means it is suitable for Woodnesday totage.:D

Robeson 12227 EO Teardrop Jack, 1908-1930, and modified Camillus TL-29 jack with bocote scales (my poor man’s GEC 15 Boys Knife:rolleyes:)
View attachment 1174879
Good wood, and GREAT research, Jeff! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'm feeling just swell today as I'm totin' an Aerial swell center and a Clauss swell end.

6SpmzKB.jpg

- Stuart
The ebony covers are swell, Stuart, but the unusual blade shapes and combos are what makes my heart swell for this pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Boffo brace of Barlows, Del, but the beautiful bottles from a bygone age are breath-taking! :cool::cool::)

Giving the upper one some dirt time. Until it liberated my newest acquisition from the envelope. I am pleasantly surprised by the build quality of that lil' Boker.
IMG-20190807-183143-2.jpg
Congrats on the beguiling Böker Barlow! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I need to get serious about finding one of those; the bolster stamp really grabs me! ;)

You’re on the right track.

The original gray frames do indeed have an 8x glass lens. The next generation of magnifiers made in the mid-2000s had a clear frame and 5x lens made of a single piece of plastic. Current magnifiers have a clear plastic frame with a separate 6x glass lens.
You can tell by the shape of the tang on the clear housing. The plastic lens housing has a hump near the pivot:

I2QYfTth.jpg

The glass lens housing is flat near the pivot:

oV0nPOAh.jpg
@Frailer and @Buzzbait , thanks for the very informative posts regarding Victorinox magnifiers! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

A pair of Remingtons today.

Rousing pair of Remington folders, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Heading to a dinner about an hours drive away, decided a flat knife (Case 06247PEN) would work best - got to speak a few words after the dinner. OH
Case-06247-PEN-Mark-1975.jpg
If I was required to say a few words, I'd definitely NOT carry that splendid pen, since it renders me speechless! :eek:;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

A favorite Case of mine:thumbsup:
8Q1wkF.jpg
Great Texas Jack, Paul! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Do you know if Case uses that SAME stout pen blade on any pattern with round bolsters?

Today's pocket totes are from the 30's and wear black composite covers; a Remington Jack with standard jigging and an LF&C Scout with its unique "perfected stag.":D
What a pair, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: It's hard to believe they're over 80 years old! :eek::eek:

My non-Alox SAK for vacation this week and next is a Vic Recruit tuned up for whittling (thanks, Greg):
T4eJgxn.jpg

My bailed non-SAK during vacation is a Colonial electrician:
cedarville.mark.2open.dockpump.jpg

- GT

Did some yard work and cleaned out some drawers.
Horsewright Horsewright I found an old hitched key chain i made.
I used to do a lot of horsehair hitching on head stalls and such.
Had to take a picture of it along with the Trapper that was in my pocket at the time...
OK entirely too much time on your hands if your hitching horsehair. We use to have a guy in prison hitch some key fobs for us we'd sell. Course he had lots of time on his hands. Very cool!

Cadet and Pocket Pal are a couple of Vic's finest, IMHO! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (I just bought another used Pocket Pal for $6; I can't seem to resist them. I think I've bought a total of 8 Pocket Pals, new or used, and given away 5 of them.)
The Pocket pal holds a special spot for me, it's the first Vic i bought with my own money.
They were discontinued by the time I saw the poor thing hanging dusty on the hardware store rack and I decided to bring it home.

Some fine carries and some great pictures for you this week :thumbsup:

View attachment 1176665 Today I am going with my 15 in nifebright. This is my most carried traditional.
Since I bought it new it just sort of clicked with me.
It's a great knife. :cool::thumbsup:

OK entirely too much time on your hands if your hitching horsehair.
My wife and i usually unwind with a couple of hours of sitting front of the TV in the evenings. That's when I would hitch or sew saddle parts.

Just home from the last 26 hours in the hospital with my boy. He had a staph abcess in his butt. They had to do surgery and get it. Ended up being 2 spots. But he's out and we home and doing well. I had the foresight to grab his knife before we left to go.
80532BE7-F700-4D7D-84F7-528CBC568271.jpeg

On a lighter note, my muscadines are ripening. But many of them are dropping before ripe or even close to ripe. Anyone know what causes that?

Just home from the last 26 hours in the hospital with my boy. He had a staph abcess in his butt. They had to do surgery and get it. Ended up being 2 spots. But he's out and we home and doing well. I had the foresight to grab his knife before we left to go.
View attachment 1176778

On a lighter note, my muscadines are ripening. But many of them are dropping before ripe or even close to ripe. Anyone know what causes that?

Glad to hear your son is doing well after!

Back